Alex Smith cleared for football per PFT.

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He would get his guarantee plus an in jury settlement.

It wasn't a freak accident.  Go back and watch the play.  It was a regular sack that snapped his leg in half.

For a player that's been sacked 410 times for that to happen on a routine play? I call that a freak accident. It's not like he all of a sudden has brittle bones.

Edited by BullBuchanan

15 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

For a player that's been sacked 410 times for that to happen on a routine play? I call that a freak accident. It's not like he all of a sudden has brittle bones.

The result was unusual, but the tackle certainly wasn't.  Not like Theisman hit.

And those bones are no longer normal.  They were broken, infected, reconstructed.  Now "healed".

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

With the contract he recently signed, he's untraceable and they can't cut him without a huge cap hit.  They are stuck with him for a LOT of money. Their best bet is to pay him his cap hit this season (21 million), cut (or trade--still difficult) him next year and still take a 10.8 million dead cap hit in 2021.  That's, in cash and cap, 27 million for 2020/21.

He will be a very expensive hood ornament.

A team isn't bound in a contract to clear any player if their medical team won't clear them.  The player would be offered an injury settlement.

But that point is moot because one of the clearing  Dr.s mentioned is the team doctor (although I don't think she ever operated on him).

I get why he wants to play because he feels he still has game left. But that hit that he took that snapped his tib/fib was not especially violent (in terms of force)--he will take hits like that on every blitz in every game.  While everyone is amazed at how well it has healed, no X-ray can determine what will happen the first time he plants the right foot and gets sacked/hit/gang tackled.  If it breaks again, I cannot imagine how they would fix it again, given what it took the first time (internafix/externalfix, microsurgical free flap coverage of the exposed bone after extensive tissue necrosis/debridement).  The likelihood of losing the leg is higher than previously.  

What's to be gained?  He's on a team that is going nowhere.  He has over 100 million earned so far.  He's at the end of his career anyway, having been around for 15 years now on his 3rd team and hasn't played a down in 2 years.

Go enjoy life and count your blessings you're still on 2 feet, man.  Be with your family---why make them sweat this out again?

I agree 100%, in my mind, he should hang it up.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/25/2020 at 3:48 PM, Mr. WEO said:

With the contract he recently signed, he's untraceable and they can't cut him without a huge cap hit.  They are stuck with him for a LOT of money. Their best bet is to pay him his cap hit this season (21 million), cut (or trade--still difficult) him next year and still take a 10.8 million dead cap hit in 2021.  That's, in cash and cap, 27 million for 2020/21.

He will be a very expensive hood ornament.

A team isn't bound in a contract to clear any player if their medical team won't clear them.  The player would be offered an injury settlement.

But that point is moot because one of the clearing  Dr.s mentioned is the team doctor (although I don't think she ever operated on him).

I get why he wants to play because he feels he still has game left. But that hit that he took that snapped his tib/fib was not especially violent (in terms of force)--he will take hits like that on every blitz in every game.  While everyone is amazed at how well it has healed, no X-ray can determine what will happen the first time he plants the right foot and gets sacked/hit/gang tackled.  If it breaks again, I cannot imagine how they would fix it again, given what it took the first time (internafix/externalfix, microsurgical free flap coverage of the exposed bone after extensive tissue necrosis/debridement).  The likelihood of losing the leg is higher than previously.  

What's to be gained?  He's on a team that is going nowhere.  He has over 100 million earned so far.  He's at the end of his career anyway, having been around for 15 years now on his 3rd team and hasn't played a down in 2 years.

Go enjoy life and count your blessings you're still on 2 feet, man.  Be with your family---why make them sweat this out again?

In a nutshell, I think it's as simple as a highly motivated successful individual wanting to go out on his own terms.  You have to understand that, right?

11 minutes ago, eball said:

In a nutshell, I think it's as simple as a highly motivated successful individual wanting to go out on his own terms.  You have to understand that, right?

I think everyone who is even a little bit familiar with this story understands that this is what Smith wants to do, yes.  

Anyway...

It’s his body, and his decision of he wants to play and a team wants him.  If he is fully functional and the doctors have said he is back to form, then he is an upgrade over Haskins.  I’ve always liked Smith as a player.  He seemed to be an interesting guy and although a rocky start on a crappy 49ers team back when he started, he played really well for KC, and Washington.  He doesn’t throw many picks at all, a good completion %, and is smart enough to know when to throw it away.  I’m not a Washington fan, but I like his play.

Washington places Alex Smith, Reuben Foster on PUP
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/27/washington-places-alex-smith-reuben-foster-on-pup/

A report earlier Monday indicated Washington would place Alex Smith on the physically unable to perform list to start training camp. The team did just that Monday night.

Smith took his physical with team doctors Monday. The team initially posted a story saying Smith had passed his physical, which would have prohibited his placement on the PUP list. Washington since has updated its story.

Washington should be investigated on this change.

On 7/25/2020 at 8:08 AM, machine gun kelly said:

I understand the Bengals thing, but he is still under contract.  He can make a ton of $ if Washington Doesn’t cut him.  Alex Smith was a heck of a QB.  People always tried to say he was a game manager, but that is a sign of a good QB.  He doesn’t throw picks, knows when to throw it away, had a decent completion %, etc.

And wins.  Look at his win loss numbers since his last 2 years in San fran.  He just wins.