Dreamers Saved! DACA Upheld!

The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected the Trump administration’s attempt to dismantle the program protecting undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children, a reprieve for nearly 650,000 recipients known as “dreamers.”

The 5-to-4 decision, written by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., stunned President Trump, who said in a tweet that it and a ruling earlier this week that federal law protects LGBTQ workers were “shotgun blasts into the face of people that are proud to call themselves Republicans or Conservatives.”

Roberts was in the majority in both cases, and Thursday’s ruling showed once again the pivotal role he now plays at the center of the court.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-rules-against-trump-administration-attempt-to-end-daca-a-win-for-undocumented-immigrants-brought-to-us-as-children/2020/06/18/4f0b6c74-b163-11ea-8758-bfd1d045525a_story.html

God Bless America! 

Edited by Tiberius
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Yet another good reason to leave a country bent on destroying itself.

Sayonara!  Ciao!  Au revoir!  Adios!  Hit the road, Jax, and don't you come back no more!   Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

5 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Nah, don't speak Russian.

I hear Paraguay welcomes your kind. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This is not so much about DADA/DAVA/DOODOO crap DACA!  But I’ll put this here.  

What are all your thoughts about free healthcare for all AND open borders?  I hope this pandemic has opened your eyes to the absurdity of those two things together.  Thoughts.  

Since I'm not a legal scholar, I don't really have much of an opinion on how the judgement came about.  Pretty much from what I have seen I'm convinced that interpreting the constitution is like interpreting the Bible.  

You can have two totally different people read the same verse and come away with a different conclusion.

With that said, I'm good with the outcomes of both the LGBTQ and DACA rulings.

Although, the only Reason why Obama signed that was because Rubio was about to have his bill go up for a vote and he didn't want Rubio/Republicans to get the credit for it so he jammed it.

And Trump was willing to go against his base and give major concessions if the Democrats would have simply gone along with his wall.  They cried foul.  

Let's be honest, the Democrats have no desire to fix this issue because they know it is a political cudgel that they can use against Republicans. 

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

This is not so much about DADA/DAVA/DOODOO crap DACA!  But I’ll put this here.  

What are all your thoughts about free healthcare for all AND open borders?  I hope this pandemic has opened your eyes to the absurdity of those two things together.  Thoughts.  

Let's give free healthcare to the entire planet while we are at it. 

• Like (+1) 2

But don’t think that Roberts was motivated by any liberal sympathy for dreamers. The best explanation for his ruling is that Roberts is fed up with Donald Trump’s disrespect for the rule of law. Now he’s standing up for the role of the judicial branch of government in checking careless, lawless action by the executive.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/john-roberts-done-trusting-donald-183531912.html

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

But don’t think that Roberts was motivated by any liberal sympathy for dreamers. The best explanation for his ruling is that Roberts is fed up with Donald Trump’s disrespect for the rule of law. Now he’s standing up for the role of the judicial branch of government in checking careless, lawless action by the executive.

Ruling that excecutive orders can not overturn executive orders will harm this country even more. You people just want ***** Kings and won’t be happy until we get them.

Stupid ruling. Stupid Roberts.

Edited by FireChans

54 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

...by upholding a careless, lawless action by the previous executive!

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

My own personal view on Dreamers and illegal immigrants that are here truly trying to make better lives for themselves and their families is that they should be fast tracked for citizenship while, at the same time, immigation laws are reformed.

Having said that, Supreme Court Justices exist to act as last resort, impartial guardians and their decisions should not be based on anything other than the interpretations of the constitution and existing laws.

What a Justice personally thinks about anyone involved in a case before him/him should never be of consideration. If the Justice cannot remain impartial, then the Justice should recuse himself/herself.

52 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Ruling that excecutive orders can not overturn executive orders will harm this country even more. You people just want ***** Kings and won’t be happy until we get them.

Stupid ruling. Stupid Roberts.

LOL

Have you not noticed how Don acts, and that he has referred to himself as King ? 

• Like (+1) 1

It Doesn’t Matter Whether DACA Is Popular

by David Harsanyi

Original Article

I understand that procedural arguments are boring, ineffective, and passe, and that fewer and fewer American are moved by them. But we might want pollsters and media outlets to understand the difference between policy outcomes and constitutional process.

As with the Supreme Court’s recent re-imagining of Title VII protections, the media are acting as if the recent decision preventing Trump from immediately ending DACA was a referendum on values, empathy, and the intrinsic value of “Dreamers,” rather than on the ability of the president to simply fabricate laws by fiat.

10 Times Barack Obama Acknowledged That DACA Was Unconstitutional

by Matt Margolis

Original Article

I can still remember when Barack Obama was campaigning in 2008, claiming to be the cure to unconstitutional abuses of power he claimed were systemic in the Bush administration. “I take the Constitution very seriously,” he claimed. “The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power