Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Once again, the Sabres will be on the outside looking in with that tandem in goal.

I don't mind the goalies because I think Ullmark is developing and Hutton may have been playing hurt.  3rd and 4th lines are not looking good to me and even that depends on Staal being healthy/vibrant enough to man the 2nd line.  First line should be super fun.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

While the NFL is obviously taking a hit financially with no fans/small crowds they can survive because of the money from TV. I think its going to be really difficult for the NHL to have a season. I hope I am wrong and they drop the puck but I could see them not playing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

While the NFL is obviously taking a hit financially with no fans/small crowds they can survive because of the money from TV. I think its going to be really difficult for the NHL to have a season. I hope I am wrong and they drop the puck but I could see them not playing.

Same here, that’s my worry as well. The NFL is still profitable even without fans in the stands. The NHL isn’t. 

I wonder if we’d still have Taylor Hall under contract for next year if we don’t play this season? In previous lockouts it still counted as a contract year, but players just didn’t get paid. If it worked the same way this time, Hall’s contract would expire without ever playing a game for Buffalo. I wonder if he’d sign here again or pursue other/better opportunities...

Not worth worrying about yet.

Edited by BillsFan4

And how do the games played work out for the canadian division since it will have one less team?  If they play everyone 9 times instead, that would be 54 games.  Since everything is played within the division, that doesn't impact the playoffs at all.  But are they ok with having less games on tv like that?  I'd prefer to leave the schedule balanced within the division, but I'm sure $$$$ will have them adding in the extra 2 games.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

And how do the games played work out for the canadian division since it will have one less team?  If they play everyone 9 times instead, that would be 54 games.  Since everything is played within the division, that doesn't impact the playoffs at all.  But are they ok with having less games on tv like that?  I'd prefer to leave the schedule balanced within the division, but I'm sure $$$$ will have them adding in the extra 2 games.

Good question. I think that inequity is going to be the word of the season.

Congrats to Dylan Cozens and Jack Quinn for being named to Canada’s World Junior roster. Especially Quinn, who was considered a long shot to make the team initially. His making the team is a good sign of his continued development.

• Like (+1) 2

Here's a dismal little read to bring you down from your Bills high.

https://buffalohockeycentral.com/2020/12/15/top-10-most-unbelievable-stats-of-the-pegula-era/

Preview

What happens when you are the 2nd-worst team in the league at generating shot attempts, but also allow the 5th most shot attempts against?

Long story short, you end up at the bottom of almost every single offensive category and the longest playoff drought in the league. The Sabres rank 31st in Shot Attempt Differential (SAT) and it’s not even close.

Edited by Jauronimo

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/12/18/nhl-nhlpa-reach-tentative-agreement-for-56-game-season/

- No preseason games and a 56-game regular season schedule. No word yet on division realignment will be. According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, the Stanley Cup Playoffs will be made up of the top four teams in each of the four divisions. The divisional playoff format will then see each division represented in the semifinals.

• The league is still aiming for a Jan. 13 start date with training camps opening Dec. 31 for the seven non-playoff teams. The remaining 24 teams will open camp Jan. 3.

• Rosters will be a maximum of 23 players under the $81.5M salary cap ceiling.

-Teams will be allowed a 4-6 player taxi squad. Salaries will not be prorated

NHL and NHLPA reached an agreement for this season, pending board approval.

Hockey’s FINALLY coming back soon!

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

If Sabres are in the tough division that I have seen them with, it will be a tough season, but so be it! We need hockey back and the Sabres can sink or swim with the best of them 

If the goaltending is fine, the team will do well 

Yeah we are in a brutal division.

They’ll have to finish among the top 4 teams to make the playoffs. Tough, but not impossible. I think they can fight for that #4 spot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.