COVID 19 - Share Something Good

The last two months have sucked. The upcoming months aren't looking much better. It's easy to dwell on the negative, but have there been any positives?

My positive is that I have a son with a learners permit. With less cars on the road and more time on both of our hands I've been able to take him out on the highway and roads that would normally be more congested. He's a much better driver now than two months ago and better prepared for the same roads with more traffic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

The last two months have sucked. The upcoming months aren't looking much better. It's easy to dwell on the negative, but have there been any positives?

My positive is that I have a son with a learners permit. With less cars on the road and more time on both of our hands I've been able to take him out on the highway and roads that would normally be more congested. He's a much better driver now than two months ago and better prepared for the same roads with more traffic.

I took my 15 year old daughter driving. we live on a dead end and with nothing to do it was time. She did good. 15 was our top speed. Not complaining. she started out with moms car and then we used my truck. She wasnt a fan at all but did good. The neighbors loved it. Pretended to jump out of the way when they saw her. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I am an essential employee, so I still go to work M-F.  But my son also has a permit and we go driving on weekends.  I'll agree that there's less traffic for him to deal with and it's helped.

Less traffic has also trimmed my commute time considerably, especially ( and most importantly ) on the way home.  Since this crap started, I haven't seen stop and go traffic either way.

AWESOME thread! I love looking for the positive point of view. 

My wife used to travel the country about 3 weeks per month. Flying everywhere, but mostly NYC. That ended about 9 weeks ago.

She now has conference calls or a webex every hour or half hour, without all the travel. My wife is home, she sleeps in her own bed. I think even long term her travel will be greatly reduced. I also get to overhear some of her talks, and I love how much she laughs and enjoys her (freakishly intense) job. 

The world is not ending, it is evolving. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am an essential employee, so I still go to work M-F.  But my son also has a permit and we go driving on weekends.  I'll agree that there's less traffic for him to deal with and it's helped.

Less traffic has also trimmed my commute time considerably, especially ( and most importantly ) on the way home.  Since this crap started, I haven't seen stop and go traffic either way.

I've been working from home. Eventually I expect to go back to the office.  I'd always try to leave the office 5-10 minutes ahead of the 5 PM  traffic because it made a big difference. I wonder whether that will change or how long it will take to get back to the bad traffic. My company had resisted full-time work from home but for the most part hasn't skipped a beat the past two months. It will be interesting to see if/how attitudes change wrt working from home.

7 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I've been working from home. Eventually I expect to go back to the office.  I'd always try to leave the office 5-10 minutes ahead of the 5 PM  traffic because it made a big difference. I wonder whether that will change or how long it will take to get back to the bad traffic. My company had resisted full-time work from home but for the most part hasn't skipped a beat the past two months. It will be interesting to see if/how attitudes change wrt working from home.

Living in Atlanta, rush hour starts around 3pm. I wish I was kidding. 

Bright spot?   All it takes is a global pandemic to get Atlanta traffic to a reasonable level! Yay! 

I always tended to think paramedics were underpaid/unappreciated for the type of work they do even before the outbreak.  It seems there's more appreciation for those workers now.

Working in healthcare (I'm not on the front lines) it's nice to see the Heroes Work Here signs in front of a lot of the buildings.  Nurses/care givers seem to get more respect over all now 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Most of the traffic I encounter is people going to/coming from work in Albany (state jobs).  As long as they're working from home, my commute is pretty much gravy.

As they open up more, however, Friday's commute home will become more congested because a lot of downstate, NJ, CT and MA pricks, I mean people, head north for weekends.

6 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

It would appear that I may have landed a new job during this mess. I'm about 2 months into the process. Something tells me I wasn't the first choice. 

Essential or working from home? My company is fully working from home and has hired a few people. I have a meet and greet with a new hire from another department coming up. Strange days indeed.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Essential or working from home? My company is fully working from home and has hired a few people. I have a meet and greet with a new hire from another department coming up. Strange days indeed.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

Thanks. It would be categorized as essential 8 believe. 

I get to listen to my wife working at home. Today she was trying to recruit some guy she knows from the Chicago market. I have a greater appreciation for what she can do. We learn to appreciate each other in deeper ways. She can sell like a witch rivaling Beane getting late round picks for guys we are going to cut.

And I’ve not been thrown out of the house yet! YAY!  :)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

If I could share them with your virtually, I would. Just over 11mg thc per cookie, on average. And they are good.

rsz_1rsz_cookies_2.thumb.jpg.f2671d30c13a8da3451bbbd9254d326b.jpg

You have confused “sharing” and “taunting”. 

I’ll have to forgive, as I always try to do.

But............

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

You have confused “sharing” and “taunting”. 

I’ll have to forgive, as I always try to do.

But............

:lol:

Good point.

I should have added, I generously shared most of these with other fellow medical marijuana patients. Especially those with pain and looking to get some sleep.

Is that better? I mean, even a little?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/16/2020 at 9:55 PM, SinceThe70s said:

One cool thing is our neighborhood is all supporting each other's efforts to shop less (within reason).  When one neighbor is going to a store, they'll send out a text "going to (market), need anything?" We try to be couth and not ask the neighbor to come home with an extra shopping trip, but we shop different stores.  Being able to pick up an item or two between shopping trips or a brand that we'd have to make a special trip to a different store has been super-helpful.  And if we find something that everyone needs like sanitizer or bleach or TP or wipes, the finder will buy some and then put out a call "got this, who needs some?"

It's especially helpful to us because we're shopping for my 87 yr old mom and she needs a low-salt diet where the specific brands that are best aren't available at the stores we usually shop.

Another thing I like are the socially distant parties.  We'll spot balloons and a lawn sign and then you hear the cars and honking and cheering and everyone will stick their head out the door and cheer and clap along.  Our neighbors across the street had a drive-by gender reveal party/baby shower.  Someone else I don't know had a drive-by birthday party.  Then our next-door neighbor had a 90th birthday party for his mom last week on Mother's Day.  They set her up outside, under an awning on their RV and with a propane heater next to her.  They got individually wrapped cakes from Nothing Bundt Cakes, placed on a table 6 feet away.  Marked out a line, stay behind this.  She wore a mask, all the guests wore masks.  All her kids and grandkids and nephews and nieces came by one family at a time and gave her greetings, put cards and little gifts in a basket, visited for a few minutes and took a cake.  Some moved off to make room for others and de-mask and eat cake, Some left.  Seemed like it was a pretty nice Birthday for her and reasonably safe.

I just like how people taking the stay-at-home seriously still find ingenious ways to celebrate and recognize important milestones.  It's not the same but it shows the spirit, we're still here and we're going to get through this.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Dean said:

If I could share them with your virtually, I would. Just over 11mg thc per cookie, on average. And they are good.

I had the good fortune of traveling through Massachusetts a few weeks before this all hit was able to stock up on recreational essentials. If I had any idea what was coming it may have been a hording situation as I've resorted to rationing.