Thor Deadlifting 1,102 pounds !! Saturday 12 noon 5/2/20

My son and I used to love to watch those World’s Strongest Man competitions.  I wish they were on more often.  We enjoyed events like carrying a small car, or putting heavier and heavier boulders on higher and higher pedestals, etc. Most of the competitors were power lifters.  For some reason the guys from the USA never did very well, and the guys from Iceland and other small countries would dominate. Probably because there are different choices or opportunities for the guys from the USA. 

On 4/16/2020 at 4:31 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Very loose adaptation of the word Sport. This is less of a sport than soccer and far more boring. At least ‘kick ball’ has some running and clever footwork..

Guess what I won’t watch, regardless of the novelty. Now, see me in a month and I may change my tune..

Your typical "old American sports guy" comments about soccer are embarrassing.

13 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

My son and I used to love to watch those World’s Strongest Man competitions.  I wish they were on more often.  We enjoyed events like carrying a small car, or putting heavier and heavier boulders on higher and higher pedestals, etc. Most of the competitors were power lifters.  For some reason the guys from the USA never did very well, and the guys from Iceland and other small countries would dominate. Probably because there are different choices or opportunities for the guys from the USA. 

World's strongest man is on CBS sports now. Americans do a lot better now especially with 4x WSM Brian Shaw.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/17/2020 at 6:34 AM, thebandit27 said:

Try it sometime.

At our powerlifting gym, I’ve seen some of the fittest athletes in the area straight pass out trying some of these strongman events.

I’m sure they do. But not only is it Not a ‘sport’ for the masses, very few people prefer to look like a brick sharthouse.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m sure they do. But not only is it Not a ‘sport’ for the masses, very few people prefer to look like a brick sharthouse.

Not for the masses is one thing; criticizing it because you don’t consider it a sport for some arbitrary reason is silly.

And for the record, I competed for years and nobody would describe me as a “brick sharthouse”. And even if they did, is this how we’re judging what’s a sport these days? How many people want to look like Dion Dawkins?

C’mon man.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not for the masses is one thing; criticizing it because you don’t consider it a sport for some arbitrary reason is silly.

And for the record, I competed for years and nobody would describe me as a “brick sharthouse”. And even if they did, is this how we’re judging what’s a sport these days? How many people want to look like Dion Dawkins?

C’mon man.

Hey, we All need a release. Enjoy yours! Doesn’t mean it should make the Wide World of Sports.. 

i ‘power lift’ 16 ouncers. Can down 24 a night. As a result, I look like Hell. But my ‘sport’ has a bigger following..

21 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hey, we All need a release. Enjoy yours! Doesn’t mean it should make the Wide World of Sports.. 

Powerlifting and Weightlifting were on wide world of sports all the time, its how i got interested in strength training. Watching Vasilly Alekseyev put 500 plus over head was amazing !!

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

image.jpeg.202f5b01888471e6c28f6fa7b732b00a.jpeg

This means ??

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

On 4/18/2020 at 6:58 AM, Chandler#81 said:

They’re “typical” because they’ve stood the test of time. 

#KickTheCan

#Run

nothing more.

Wow........It may not be your cup of tea, but this is just a crazy oversimplified view. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 7:20 AM, thebandit27 said:

C’mon man.

I'm asking a couple of questions and am not indicting. Do most of the participants in power lifting competitions take stuff to improve their performances? Or are many of these big fellows chemically inflated? And do people interested in this area of lifting stay away from cardio activities in order to become bulkier and stronger? Just curious. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm asking a couple of questions and am not indicting. Do most of the participants in power lifting competitions take stuff to improve their performances? Or are many of these big fellows chemically inflated? And do people interested in this area of lifting stay away from cardio activities in order to become bulkier and stronger? Just curious. 

...pretty sure I read they have to maintain a 12,000 calorie per day diet....

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty sure I read they have to maintain a 12,000 calorie per day diet....

I have known some power lifters who throughout the day consume a lot of protein drinks. I'm not saying this to be funny but when they fart it is like a chemical war zone. A killer gas exploding out of one's ass.  :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Many serious lifters do indeed juice. I don’t and would never knowingly work with anyone that does...I just don’t want to be associated with foul play.

There are raw natural divisions where guys are tested regularly, but sometimes guys juice anyway and get around it. It’s not common, because most naturals are in that division so that they don’t have to use to be competitive.

As for avoiding cardio, it depends. If your natural build is conducive to certain lifts, and you want to drop LBs to get to a new weight class, then absolutely, do cardio. If you’re trying to add force to your lifts, then many guys will ditch traditional cardio, but will commonly include sprints and/or sled pulls to build explosiveness.

Personally, I have a lifter’s build. Thick around the chest, short limbs, longer torso. For me, sprint cardio and lots of walking were key.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I would say all the elite use but most also  do cardio. Contrary to popular belief cardio does very little for fat loss. The only way to really lose fat is diet, however you want to lift weights as well so you can maintain muscle mass which allows you to eat more food within reason and not get fat. Otherwise you will just be a skinny fat person who has to eat like a bird just to stay thin.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I have known some power lifters who throughout the day consume a lot of protein drinks. I'm not saying this to be funny but when they fart it is like a chemical war zone. A killer gas exploding out of one's ass.  :ph34r:

just food for me, my farts smell like roses :D

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I would say all the elite use but most also  do cardio. Contrary to popular belief cardio does very little for fat loss. The only way to really lose fat is diet, however you want to lift weights as well so you can maintain muscle mass which allows you to eat more food within reason and not get fat. Otherwise you will just be a skinny fat person who has to eat like a bird just to stay thin.

just food for me, my farts smell like roses :D

Don't kid yourself. Even before the coronavirus spread your associates participated in social distancing because you were nauseously odoriferous. If you want to know why the EPA kept showing up at your house it was because your neighbors repeatedly called them because they felt your property was contaminated.  :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Don't kid yourself. Even before the coronavirus spread your associates participated in social distancing because you were nauseously odoriferous. If you want to know why the EPA kept showing up at your house it was because your neighbors repeatedly called them because they felt your property was contaminated.  :ph34r:

except his smells worse LOL

I actually dont take protein powder due to allergies and i like food better anyway.

• Haha (+1) 1