Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

2 hours ago, John in Jax said:

I saw a female 30 something on a cable news network last night who tested positive, and she had zero symptoms! She said she had recently gone to a party with a lot of people in attendance. I’m not quite sure why / how she was tested.

I personally have had a slight sore throat, slight/intermittent dry cough, constant stuffy nose, and slight on/off headache since Thursday afternoon, but NO fever and no shortness of breath. I called my Dr, and I’ve been self medicating like crazy since then, and stayed home from work on Friday. Of course, I’ve scoured the internet for reliable info on symptoms of Covid-19 vs Flu vs Allergies vs a Cold. My conclusion is that I‘ve got a “regular” old cold, but I can’t be 100% sure of that. 

And to add: I haven’t been out of FL since November (was up in Buffalo), and I do not regularly come in contact with a lot of people, and my job has me driving around north/central FL 90% of the workday (about 1000 miles per week on my truck) doing inspections at various construction sites. And normally, I am always washing my hands and/or using hand sanitizer.

Do you know where she was from or have a linky on this?  It might have been related to the Seattle houseparty/Fred Hutch flu project tests.

There was a situation in Seattle where a lot of people who had been at a "small house party" of (I think I heard) ~40 people, where no one was visibly ill, got flu-like symptoms.  They were messaging back and forth, and someone suggested they all get tested by the Fred Hutch Influenza Project, which will send out a swab kit and mailer.  So they all filled out the online request form, got the sample kit, and sent 'em back.

This was the time period when the Fred Hutch people were becoming very frustrated with lack of Covid-19 testing in the US, cooked up their own Covid-19 test, and started testing their own flu project samples to see what they could see.  They found a bunch of people at that party tested positive for Covid19!  I think they eventually tested everyone at the party and found more positives from people with no symptoms.  Now keep in mind this was not the official CDC-approved test, but everyone who was able to get official DOH testing had their test results confirmed. 

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/mp/0ONzinL2?cv=3.5.6.7144&platform=0&isFollow=0&fbclid=IwAR2HzQ43k2DM5qu6zrm4fxLN5VWVfMR7k0wXQOVhTZVQBolXpcvPiecXmk8

The Fred Hutch gang got ordered to "cease and desist" by CDC (for reasons discussed upthread)

I think they're back in business testing Covid19 again at U of W under EUA (emergency use authorization).

Please note some features of the testing that was done:

1) kit was requested online and received by mail with instructions for how to swab and package the kit

2) kit was mailed back. 

No public contact, positive pressure tents, exposure to HCW collecting swab etc.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

***** morons.  Absolute ***** morons.

#oklaignorant

It's not limited to Oklahoma, believe me. 

Cornell U. suspended all classes Fri afternoon and requested (actually "implored") all students to return to their permanent homes ASAP.

Some students have been advertising a "block party" for Monday on Facebook.
:doh:

Goes to show that being smart and educated doesn't preclude lacking the common sense to avoid stepping in dog ***** or come in out of the rain.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not limited to Oklahoma, believe me. 

Cornell U. suspended all classes Fri afternoon and requested (actually "implored") all students to return to their permanent homes ASAP.

Some students have been advertising a "block party" for Monday on Facebook.

It's too bad.  I went to a bar last night to see my friend play guitar/sing.  There was never more than 10 people in there at any given time.  The bar owner (the wife; she and her husband just bought the place) was bitching about the lack of business ... and blaming my buddy for it.  

She ended up leaving and I had a decent discussion with her hubby.  He knew the real reason for the light crowd.

When I got my Uber home, the Uber driver told me that ALL bars were dead - which I figured would be the case.

I checked Facebook this afternoon and the bar owners were both practically begging people to come in and, basically, "don't believe the hype."  They are in a very difficult situation, as well as those employed by them.  But their messaging is no bueno.  It's a bad optic.

I go out to bars about 2-3 times/year.  I just wanted to show my buddy some support.  But I'm done going to any restaurants/bars until this is under control.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's too bad.  I went to a bar last night to see my friend play guitar/sing.  There was never more than 10 people in there at any given time.  The bar owner (the wife; she and her husband just bought the place) was bitching about the lack of business ... and blaming my buddy for it.  

She ended up leaving and I had a decent discussion with her hubby.  He knew the real reason for the light crowd.

When I got my Uber home, the Uber driver told me that ALL bars were dead - which I figured would be the case.

I checked Facebook this afternoon and the bar owners were both practically begging people to come in and, basically, "don't believe the hype."  They are in a very difficult situation, as well as those employed by them.  But their messaging is no bueno.  It's a bad optic.

I go out to bars about 2-3 times/year.  I just wanted to show my buddy some support.  But I'm done going to any restaurants/bars until this is under control.

There's a great annual St Patrick's Day concert by two award-winning Irish musicians at a local small folk/indie music venue near us.  Small place, run by volunteers, maybe seats 100 max if every seat was full.  I peered through the window to see how full the matinee show was, and the concert manager flew out and practically begged us to come to the show.

We did.  Sat by ourselves in a back row.  It was about half full, most people sitting in groups of 2 or 3 with space in between.  They had hand sanitizer at the door, and had changed the format to no intermission - basically come in, sit, hear concert, leave.  We had a garbage bag by the door to strip off our clothes and go shower right away. 

I'm glad we went, but yep, last time we'll go out until things are more under control.  Went shopping Fri. and stocked up for a while. 

My 87 yr old mom, who on Friday when we spoke still wanted to do her own shopping, just called.  They just announced a ban on visitors to her assisted/independent living Sr facility.  They are distributing clam-shells to the residents to fill up and take breakfast and dinner back to their rooms.  She has changed her mind, and now thinks perhaps she should take us up on our offer to shop for her.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you know where she was from or have a linky on this?  It might have been related to the Seattle houseparty/Fred Hutch flu project tests.

There was a situation in Seattle where a lot of people who had been at a "small house party" of (I think I heard) ~40 people, where no one was visibly ill, got flu-like symptoms.  They were messaging back and forth, and someone suggested they all get tested by the Fred Hutch Influenza Project, which will send out a swab kit and mailer.  So they all filled out the online request form, got the sample kit, and sent 'em back.

John in Jax:  Yep, that was it.

Edited by John in Jax

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a great annual St Patrick's Day concert by two award-winning Irish musicians at a local small folk/indie music venue near us.  Small place, run by volunteers, maybe seats 100 max if every seat was full.  I peered through the window to see how full the matinee show was, and the concert manager flew out and practically begged us to come to the show.

We did.  Sat by ourselves in a back row.  It was about half full, most people sitting in groups of 2 or 3 with space in between.  They had hand sanitizer at the door, and had changed the format to no intermission - basically come in, sit, hear concert, leave.  We had a garbage bag by the door to strip off our clothes and go shower right away. 

I'm glad we went, but yep, last time we'll go out until things are more under control.  Went shopping Fri. and stocked up for a while. 

My 87 yr old mom, who on Friday when we spoke still wanted to do her own shopping, just called.  They just announced a ban on visitors to her assisted/independent living Sr facility.  They are distributing clam-shells to the residents to fill up and take breakfast and dinner back to their rooms.  She has changed her mind, and now thinks perhaps she should take us up on our offer to shop for her.

A lot of artists are proactively postponing tours.  Many area venues are taking it upon themselves to cancel/postpone shows.  I think (I have not checked) that NYS set the cutoff at 200 attendees.  That may have changed.

Local nursing homes/assisted living facilities/rehab centers have stopped visitation.

My sister and I both offered to shop for our parents (76 and 80).  They did their "big shop," as they call it, last week, so they're all set.  They normally don't do much during the week, anyway.  Their normal weekend routine is to drive up north to a flea market, which they're not going to do until they feel comfortable.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My 92 year old mother is at a place that has gone to bag lunches if you want their meal. Grab one and go back to your apartment. She went outside to a big table with a couple friends because it was an unusually nice day....and they got scolded for that. Isolation. 

Things were so bad at the store Friday all I could get her was the last banana, a little milk, lots of frozen meals and the bottom of the barrel soups, things you would never buy, until I bought it because that was all that was left..... 

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A lot of artists are proactively postponing tours.  Many area venues are taking it upon themselves to cancel/postpone shows.  I think (I have not checked) that NYS set the cutoff at 200 attendees.  That may have changed.

Yes, they announced this would be their last concert until at least the end of April.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why the frickin' freck wait until Tuesday?

Why ask why.....its a fluid situation..why limit gatherings to 500 people or 250? Why stop an NCAA game at halftime? Why are some schools closed until Monday and others for a month. Seems like a lot of questions but no good answers. 

No photo description available.

Someone at a Publix bakery near Atlanta has a sense of humor...and a novel way to supply TP

12 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Why ask why.....its a fluid situation..why limit gatherings to 500 people or 250? Why stop an NCAA game at halftime? Why are some schools closed until Monday and others for a month. Seems like a lot of questions but no good answers. 

"fluid situation"...closing the bars...I See What You Did There!!!!!!

As to the varied reactions, well, that's what a coordinated central response is supposed to prevent.....

Gathering size in theory should be driven by the number of infections in a community therefore limit the size of gathering to the point where the probability of an infected person being there is low....but since we aren't testing widely, we really don't know how many infections there are in our communities 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1