Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am banking on total k-12 school shut downs until Fall. Thankfully most schools have some online type of teaching they can administer. 

My niece says K-2 or 3 are going to be SOL. They just don’t have the resources and it’s too complicated for young kids. Also, they allow access and have connections/devices per household. If you have more than one kid, again a problem. I’m sure it varies widely by area. 

It could be like a mini-lost educational generation thing. They are young and can catch up easily enough, I’m sure. My kindergarten grandson reads better than I did in 3rd grade. He just might be able to help me on my iPad! 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

My niece says K-2 or 3 are going to be SOL. They just don’t have the resources and it’s too complicated for young kids. Also, they allow access and have connections/devices per household. If you have more than one kid, again a problem. I’m sure it varies widely by area. 

It could be like a mini-lost educational generation thing. They are young and can catch up easily enough, I’m sure. My kindergarten grandson reads better than I did in 3rd grade. He just might be able to help me on my iPad! 

people have mentioned how this may be the new normal. I can see if this works out, there is a push for dropping a grade in the future or doing 2 months of online learning each year for certain ages. 

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

the infrastructure the economy has moved to in the last decade (hell, five years even), shutting down UPS and FedEx would be like punting. i do not want to see this happen.

The US govt will exercise its control before that happens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am banking on total k-12 school shut downs until Fall. Thankfully most schools have some online type of teaching they can administer. 

There is also tons of free content on the web to handle it yourself -- assuming you have an adult who can devote the time (and is willing to devote the energy) to it.

We've mapped out a daily schedule for our kids starting tomorrow.  Morning routine will be just like it is going to school;  butts will be in seats at the kitchen table at 8:30 for school work just like on a normal day.  We'll do math, reading, writing, creative arts, recess, outdoor time, etc.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

There is also tons of free content on the web to handle it yourself -- assuming you have an adult who can devote the time (and is willing to devote the energy) to it.

We've mapped out a daily schedule for our kids starting tomorrow.  Morning routine will be just like it is going to school;  butts will be in seats at the kitchen table at 8:30 for school work just like on a normal day.  We'll do math, reading, writing, creative arts, recess, outdoor time, etc.

this is a great idea. Here, I was planning on working from home and taking the kids out for breakfast Monday morning! Will have to re-think that. 

• Like (+1) 1

thanks for this thread and hope that are are doing well. 

living in the chicago area very much the same things are happening- no toilet paper, no school and soon no bars or restaurants if it hasn't happened already. 

governor of illinois and the mayor of chicago have complained loudly about the long waits at the airports for screening for the european flights- calling trump incompetent and blaming it all on him.  

sorry for the inconvenience people but better safe than sorry.   

Edited by jethro_tull
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Sadly, this reminds me of the time my son started coming home with math.....and I couldn’t help him! ?‍♂️

We got a tutor.....

To be fair to me, this wasn’t until after the 3rd grade.  

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

people have mentioned how this may be the new normal. I can see if this works out, there is a push for dropping a grade in the future or doing 2 months of online learning each year for certain ages. 

Looking for a silver lining, maybe this upends the educational thinking in this country, and we make better use of their time and our investment. There are certainly better ways to do this, especially in later years. College should NOT take 4 years or more for an ordinary degree. Do you close down the auto factory for the summer? Several weeks at Christmas PLUS a Spring Break? Why close the educational factory that is a university for so much of the year. Get ready for the real world, kiddos! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

What are you guys thinking? Total shutdown soon for the entire nation outside of essential personnel? That seems to be the way it’s trending. 

That would be the single most effective way to flatten the curve, not overload the health care system, and get ahead of this.

58 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Great stuff. May I ask what the grade and age ranges are?

...nicely done and very impressive bud.........:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Great stuff. May I ask what the grade and age ranges are?

Two in 3rd and one in 5th.   Teachers are supposed to be sending some volume of work each morning, but preparing to supplement that with Kahn Academy and other resources.

Keys to success will be essentially the same as in the classroom a) structure/schedule, b) no tolerance for screwing around, and c) keep them engaged.   I'm sure not everything will go as planned, but will be interesting to try it out.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

thanks for this thread and hope that are are doing well. 

living in the chicago area very much the same things are happening- no toilet paper, no school and soon no bars or restaurants if it hasn't happened already. 

governor of illinois and the mayor of chicago have complained loudly about the long waits at the airports for screening for the european flights- calling trump incompetent and blaming it all on him.  

sorry for the inconvenience people but better safe than sorry.   

I don't see the point served by complaining, but it is (IMO) rather embarrassing that Taiwan can put together a QR code based online app for screening high-risk and low-risk travelers in 72 hrs to expedite arrivals, and apparently we can't.  Might be time for a new "Love America, Catch up in Science and Math" initiative.

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Thanks, @BillsFan4.  One wonders what took them so long; I think they better move the decimal place (to 5).  Seriously, when individual states and municipalities are acting in advance of the organization that should be leading the way at public health risk assessment, it's not a good look.

20 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Two in 3rd and one in 5th.   Teachers are supposed to be sending some volume of work each morning, but preparing to supplement that with Kahn Academy and other resources.

Keys to success will be essentially the same as in the classroom a) structure/schedule, b) no tolerance for screwing around, and c) keep them engaged.   I'm sure not everything will go as planned, but will be interesting to try it out.

Just a note that there's a pretty active Homeschooling group on Facebook which is a great place to learn about free and low cost curriculum options and enrichment ideas.  If you run into snags, behavior probs etc. could be a good place to ask questions perhaps?

• Like (+1) 3

Is anyone here familiar with the Stafford Act, or aware that Trump has already invoked it. I just learned this little tidbit.

Hold on! 

It can mean more than just funding, I believe......

Good article in WaPo with easy to understand simulations:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is anyone here familiar with the Stafford Act, or aware that Trump has already invoked it. I just learned this little tidbit.

Hold on! 

It can mean more than just funding, I believe......

https://www.fema.gov/robert-t-stafford-disaster-relief-and-emergency-assistance-act-public-law-93-288-amended

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/03/13/trump-declares-a-national-emergency-under-the-stafford-act-heres-what-that-actually-allows-him-to-do/#21c151455c48

I have a hunch the 5th grader is gonna be a big help to those 3rd graders. Best of luck to all of you! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2