Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

Here’s maybe a silly question: If we had the tests, and could confirm who has actually got the virus, what would we do differently? There is no magic pill, right? If it’s Covid-19 or some other flu strain, you stay home to isolate and recuperate, hopefully. Is there something different you would do? At least initially? 

Also, I just heard on the news Disney doesn’t shut down until tomorrow. WHY? And who is actually there? They say the tourism industry is looking at a one trillion dollar loss, but that may largely be offset by the toilet paper industry! 

We'd be able to quarantine far more effectively if we had a good grasp of the worst hit areas.  

It'd also be nice to know if we were one of the 4-out-of-5 who got the virus but had relatively mild symptoms.  Knowing if you're immune could be very beneficial for both you personally and society at large. 

Knowledge is power.  

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Capco said:

We'd be able to quarantine far more effectively if we had a good grasp of the worst hit areas.  

It'd also be nice to know if we were one of the 4-out-of-5 who got the virus but had relatively mild symptoms.  Knowing if you're immune could be very beneficial for both you personally and society at large. 

Knowledge is power.  

That makes sense. Unfortunately, we are so far away from being able to test even the worst cases we are miles from testing those who have mild symptoms and/or are immune. I don’t see us catching up on that front any time soon, it’s moving too fast. 

I’m wondering what we would do differently today.  

I wish we were ahead of that curve rather than behind it. That knowledge can not come soon enough. 

Right now, everybody has to act as though it’s basically a quarantine. No going out other than for essentials like food and medications. If you feel any affects whatsoever, you find another way to get that done. Happy Hour is over for a while, people! But you do get to work from home in your underwear, so there’s an upside! 

EDIT: Even if you know you are immune or have minimal affects, that does NOT mean you can’t carry it and transmit to others. To most young people, this isn’t life threatening.....to you. But to your parents or others you encounter, well....be fair to them too. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

The U.S. and Canada would be smart to do what Spain and France has done. Both countries have closed everything except for gas stations and grocery stores. Spain has now banned people from leaving their homes except for work or to get essentials. If you do have to leave only one person per household is allowed to leave at a time. 

IMO its the best way to stop the spread since a lot of people aren't taking the social distancing seriously 

The shutdown at best flattens the curve. This thing isn't going to be stopped by social distancing of a few weeks unless there's a vaccine or cure in a month available to all (not happening). It's coming. 

It took 2 months from Wuhan and POTUS got directly exposed at least twice. Thinking any of us isn't getting it is naive. 

That doesn't mean we should go take risks. Just noting that the best we can all do is social distance as much as possible and try to put some slack in the healthcare system.

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

The shutdown at best flattens the curve. This thing isn't going to be stopped by social distancing of a few weeks unless there's a vaccine or cure in a month available to all (not happening). It's coming. 

It took 2 months from Wuhan and POTUS got directly exposed at least twice. Thinking any of us isn't getting it is naive. 

That doesn't mean we should go take risks. Just noting that the best we can all do is social distance as much as possible and try to put some slack in the healthcare system.

Yes. Flattening the curve is all we can do at this point, so let’s do it. We cannot stop it. But we CAN behave wisely. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, I don't know if it is deliberate lies or misunderstandings or delusions, but for any political philosophy it's very counterproductive to be anything but meticulously straight-shooting in times like these.  The most uninformed people have a weasel-word and a bull#### detector installed.

When things happen like your friend or fellow parent or neighbor takes her husband (who has air traveled recently, but not to Italy or S. Korea) or her son to the ER with high fever and cough, he tests negative for flu and other viruses, and he can't be tested for covid-19 because he doesn't meet the DOH criteria of travel to specific countries or exposure to a known infected person, there's a whole cluster of people who say "Now Waitaminut Here!" when they hear national leaders, be they politician or NIH/CDC, say that 1.5 million or 5 million tests will be available by the end of the week - and then they aren't. 

It's not about politics, it's about hearing one thing and experiencing another.

IMO the difference between the panicked and counter-productive behavior in this country (like buying TP off the shelves) vs. countries like Singapore and Taiwan where they have been publicizing the virus and the need for public health measures far more widely but the citizens seem very calm and matter-of-fact in the face of masks, protective gear, and restrictions, is a feeling of trust that the government is speaking truth to them and acting for the collective good, and if everyone collectively does their part all will be well.

And I'll stop here because I truly don't want to derail this into competing political philosophies, but hopefully people can agree that we need leaders to speak consistent facts to the people they lead and in a health emergency situation it's a problem when this doesn't happen, even if it's not deliberate untruth.

Ultimately, it’s about safety. And in order to ensure the highest level of safety, we need to know what the numbers REALLY are! I am F ing livid that testing has been deliberately suppressed for cheap political gain. My apologies in advance if that comment invites unwanted debate (that is not my intention AT ALL), but it appears to be the truth and needs to be said. How else can we explain having a 6 week head start and STILL coming up so woefully short in such an important matter of public safety.  It’s shameful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yes. Flattening the curve is all we can do at this point, so let’s do it. We cannot stop it. But we CAN behave wisely. 

It might be the only way to get the people that don't understand the severity of this to understand. 

5 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It might be the only way to get the people that don't understand the severity of this to understand. 

...safe to say the message is ringing clear at least here in Rochester.....empty shelves in every store........grocery stores now limiting canned goods, meat, poultry, etc in addition to other items previously limited....people lined up outside waiting to get in...all schools now closed....work colleagues with kids in college are picking them up as dorms and campuses shut down....never have seen anything like this in my 66 years....supposed to take my children and daughter in law to Aruba on 3/22.....as restrictions tighten, that's out the window...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...safe to say the message is ringing clear at least here in Rochester.....empty shelves in every store........grocery stores now limiting canned goods, meat, poultry, etc in addition to other items previously limited....people lined up outside waiting to get in...all schools now closed....work colleagues with kids in college are picking them up as dorms and campuses shut down....never have seen anything like this in my 66 years....supposed to take my children and daughter in law to Aruba on 3/22.....as restrictions tighten, that's out the window...

Its good to see some people are getting it. There is still lots that aren't. Here in my city the University kids aren't getting it. They closed down a street near the school so a bunch of them could party for St. Patrick's Day. I have seen a few posts from friends on Facebook that still plan on traveling outside of the country cause as they said"If I get sick there is people there to take care of me" 

5 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its good to see some people are getting it. There is still lots that aren't. Here in my city the University kids aren't getting it. They closed down a street near the school so a bunch of them could party for St. Patrick's Day. I have seen a few posts from friends on Facebook that still plan on traveling outside of the country cause as they said"If I get sick there is people there to take care of me" 

...makes no sense for us to go to Aruba......they're testing at their airport and if you're positive, automatic 14 day quarantine.......if you get sick while there and test positive, same result....I'm not even sure if Blue Cross would cover you there......all schools are now closed....all public, private and cultural activities are now postponed through 3/31.....we stay at the Riu Palace which is all inclusive, but we don't want to be bound to the hotel........read where all Canadians returning home from international travel are automatically quarantined for 14 days....everything is changing HOURLY......St Maarten has now placed restrictions on US travelers.......and the US could begin to restrict domestic travel......

50 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

But......the article says they ARE building a coronavirus testing site, no?   And, apparently, someone told the White House about the project.  I assume we're not getting worked up simply over the POTUS not having all his Google shell-entities straight.

Seems like a pretty disingenuous headline to me.

They made it sound like the site would be up nation wide very shortly (said they would announce when on Sunday), then spent a bunch of time telling everyone how to use the site. How they can schedule tests on it etc. Even had a chart made up going over the website.

Come to find out there are actually no current plans to roll out the site nation wide and google has no idea they were going to make this announcement.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Its digging a little bit.

Trumps moves and public address friday were decent enough. The market loved it.   If this does get out of hand, he will need to answer to the lack of urgency and action early on.  That wednesday "thing" was bizarre.

I want to see some decisive moves to shut most things down.  Needs to happen now.  Do that, appropriate aid to the right places and times.  Massage the economy in the aftermath.  The opportunity is there for this to be a big victory.  I'm far from a trump guy, but I'm still rooting for him/them to lead and look good.

Where I live pretty much everything is already shut down.  They're even shutting down ski resorts (now that it finally snowed!).  

What's not shut down yet?

Just now, KD in CA said:

Where I live pretty much everything is already shut down.  They're even shutting down ski resorts (now that it finally snowed!).  

Airports should be shut down. In case anyone hasn't noticed the majority of cases have come from people who have traveled by air and yet that is allowed to continue. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Guesstimates put out by public officials should have logic and science behind them and they should withstand pressure-testing against comparative situations.

It's just a "guesstimate".  It's nothing really.  Think about it, zeros are nothing.  So if you add a zero, or two, or three to the end of a number you're not really adding anything.  You know, like there's no big difference between 1 and 10.  or 1 and 100, or 1 and 1000.  It's just a bunch of nothing to end of a number

From what I have read, the trained medical personnel, ICU beds, and the ventilators (respirators) seem to be the limiting resources when hospitals get overwhelmed.  If we could do enough national testing to determine which areas are likely to go hot first, shouldn't we try to get additional resources to those areas?  I don't know how long the 'extra' help would be needed and so this may not be practical, but couldn't we mobilize military transport planes and temporarily shift resources around from quiet areas to the hot spots?  Once an area slows, the resources (people, beds, ventilators) are sanitized and moved to the next hot spot.

I am unsure how many machines or volunteers could be manufactured or accumulated as I am sure states or even hospitals would be reluctant to loan out anything if they fear an imminent outbreak in their region.  Widespread testing though could help in the determination of impending hot spots.  Would something like this be helpful or even doable?

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

It’s the same story here in north FL. I was out yesterday to Publix and Walmart, and I would say that those two stores had about the same, or even less customers, than for a normal Saturday. Of course, they were out (or almost out) of the things that most other stores were out of: Water, TP, alcohol wipes, canned soup, red meat (plenty of healthier meat available like turkey & ham...LOL). They had plenty of dairy products too. Restaurants I passed by had customers, but parking lots were not as full as normal.