Spotrac Guesses on Potential Bills extensions (edited title)

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Milano ranked 11th in the league in terms of missing the most tackles. It wasn’t exactly a rare occurrence.

I do recall him missing his share of tackles last year, but before the leg injury if I remember correctly tackling was a strength of his. He didn't look like the same player to me last year. I'm hoping an extra offseason of recovery will be enough. This is a big year for him. If he shows out he'll be looking at a huge extension.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

The fact you think Milano is just easily replaceable... not much more really here to say

Maybe there should be more to say, like,

for example, show me how difficult it is to find a Will LB. because I would assert that it’s actually pretty easy.

And for the record, I said I’d like to see him re-signed. 

Some folks are awfully sensitive about this.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I do recall him missing his share of tackles last year, but before the leg injury if I remember correctly tackling was a strength of his. He didn't look like the same player to me last year. I'm hoping an extra offseason of recovery will be enough. This is a big year for him. If he shows out he'll be looking at a huge extension.

I think he’ll continue to play well.

I also think that I’ll be paying close attention to what guys like Schoebert and Martinez get in FA.

If Milano thinks he’s getting Moseley money he’s nuts.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

for example, show me how difficult it is to find a Will LB. because I would assert that it’s actually pretty easy.

It's just posters calling you out for bad takes. Nothing sensitive about it.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don’t cite that as a knock; just as a point of reference that it’s not uncommon.

His missed tackle rate was 13%; pretty much middling for a starting LB.

The guy that missed a bajillion tackles was Jordan Phillips. 24% missed tackle rate ?

My point is that in something like "missed tackle rate", a judgement is being about whose responsibility it was to get there and make the tackle.  If a player had a different assignment, and he tracks down the play and makes a try, that's to his credit.  If he's out of position and ditto, that's to his blame.  But we observers can't always make that call. 

Milano is (or at least was, last time I tried to assess this) asked to play in situations where I believe other D's would switch to a nickle and the LB would be off the field.

Yes, I think Phillips missed tackles and lack of gap integrity vs the run are a reason that Beane said "we believe he still has room to grow as a player" and "he's earned the right to test the market".

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If the Bills wait to see if Milano shows out or not, he won't be looking at an extension - he'll be a FA

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think he’ll continue to play well.

I also think that I’ll be paying close attention to what guys like Schoebert and Martinez get in FA.

If Milano thinks he’s getting Moseley money he’s nuts.

Not sensitive at all. There just isn't much debate to be had with someone who thinks Milano is just easily replaceable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/1457112/2019/12/13/how-matt-milano-is-quietly-becoming-one-of-the-best-matchup-linebackers-in-the-nfl/%3famp

Considered one of the best matchup LBs in the league. But because he was a draft day steal, we should just as easily replace him with another late round gem.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Just point out why the take is bad then. You haven’t even come close to doing so except seemingly getting upset.

Your view of Milano as easily replaceable is a bad take, as I and others have repeated.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

Not sensitive at all. There just isn't much debate to be had with someone who thinks Milano is just easily replaceable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/1457112/2019/12/13/how-matt-milano-is-quietly-becoming-one-of-the-best-matchup-linebackers-in-the-nfl/%3famp

Considered one of the best matchup LBs in the league. But because he was a draft day steal, we should just as easily replace him with another late round gem.

I didn't say that the team should simply let him walk and then look to replace him.

I said that paying big money to a Will LB isn’t necessarily a good idea since they’re relatively easy to come by.

And they are.

So my solution would be to draft another Will in the mid rounds and see if you can get Milano to take a deal below the Deion Jones level.

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Yeah, guys like these a dime a dozen. Just go find another in the fifth round. It's that easy folks. You find a gem in the later rounds. Just rinse and repeat.

Thanks for at least citing something.

Not sure which rating is correct here, because P-F-R has him surrendering a passer rating of 94.5 when in coverage:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/defense_advanced.htm

And again, it’s not about simply letting him walk because it’s easy to replace him. It’s about not giving him silly money since Will LBs aren’t hard to find.

16 hours ago, costrovs said:

How often do teams extend players that are on year 3 of their rookie contracts to long term deals? 

Shouldn't we be talking about this after this upcoming season?

Or in 2 years if the bills do the 5th year option?

Dawkins and Milano are going into their contract years. Typically this is when the discussion begins. Tre's got a 5th year, but the idea would be to get out in front of it and lock him down before the market re-sets. He's likely going to be the top paid CB in the NFL. If we can get him done before Ramsey get's his, that's gonna be better. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

Dawkins and Milano are going into their contract years. Typically this is when the discussion begins. Tre's got a 5th year, but the idea would be to get out in front of it and lock him down before the market re-sets. He's likely going to be the top paid CB in the NFL. If we can get him done before Ramsey get's his, that's gonna be better. 

Agreed. We already know we are going to give him a huge contract. Might as well get it done now because every off season the rate is going to go way up. 3 or 4 years from now his contract will be a bargain.

• Like (+1) 2

So as long as you keep repeating an opinion with zero context it becomes valid?

Nice work.

You keep repeating that Will linebackers are easily replaceable but haven't shown that to be the case whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Do you think it's realistic for the Bills to continue to resign their own year in and year out? 

Especially if Josh Allen develops how we hope? 

Some will fall victim to circumstance, that's natural. But I'd the argument is, we cant pay everyone, I'll understand that conversation.

Thinking, hes just a fine a dozen LB is asinine. Milano is easily one of the best off the ball LBs.

That being said, again if it boils down to only being able to pay certain guys, then it is what it is, but I'm not just going to let a stud core D player walk under the assumption hes easily replaceable.

10 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Since it's an Athletic article I'll put this quote from it out there:

"“It’s rare,” Hyde explained. “When I was with my past team and playing third-down situations, you bring in the dime package, bring in another corner, another safety, someone that can cover better than a linebacker. When I first got here, it was no dime package, nothing. No six DBs at all. I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’”

and

It’s hard to overstate the importance of that role in the Bills’ defense. Safeties Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer get a lot of credit for the dominance of Buffalo’s secondary, and rightfully so. They’ll be the first to tell you that Milano makes their jobs much easier because of his ability to take away a tight end or running back.

Having a player like Milano means Hyde and Poyer can play free. The defense can call different coverages. Nobody is worried about leaving Milano alone in coverage against just about anybody.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Agreed. We already know we are going to give him a huge contract. Might as well get it done now because every off season the rate is going to go way up. 3 or 4 years from now his contract will be a bargain.

I don't think many players are going to sign until new CBA gets done....Revenues and cap most likely increasing so players will wait to get more money

Thanks for at least citing something.

Not sure which rating is correct here, because P-F-R has him surrendering a passer rating of 94.5 when in coverage:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/defense_advanced.htm

And again, it’s not about simply letting him walk because it’s easy to replace him. It’s about not giving him silly money since Will LBs aren’t hard to find.

No it doesnt

Screenshot_20200304-122629_Chrome.jpg