MMQB: Bills spent considerable time with top WRs including Jeudy and Lamb

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

But yet a difference maker at WR would have made the difference between a W and a L in the Houston game.  One might even argue that we’d have been sitting at home with a bye if we had that kind of player all of last season.  And the Bills still have the opportunity to make many other moves this off-season so.......

Its extremely hyperbolic to assume a WR was the difference between a win and a lose. Hopkins is a game changer and didnt do a damn thing until the second half, after having fumbled earlier in the game. 

There were a lot of elements to that game that really hurt the Bills outside of WR. Telling me we were a WR away from winning, despite having TDs taken away, despite phantom penalties, despite Allen crumbling in the fourth, despite all these other things, a WR would not have absolutely changed the outcome of the game.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Telling me we were a WR away from winning, despite having TDs taken away, despite phantom penalties, despite Allen crumbling in the fourth, despite all these other things, a WR would not have absolutely changed the outcome of the game.

There were 2 plays that a better WR than Duke Williams or John Brown turn into TDs. In a game that close, yes it would have been the difference.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I see Deandre Hopkins in Lamb, and that has a special kind of impact given the last game we played was vs Hopkins and the type of plays he made for Watson in crunch time whereas we didn’t have that guy even though the throws were there. 

Completely agree. That is a great comparison, he looks and plays so much like Hopkins and would be a great fit with Josh Allen for 10+ years pilling up the points in the AFC East. 

I also really, really like Jeudy and would be extremely happy if we end up with him but the Lamb is the perfect fit for Buffalo. Please Beane get creative and somehow draft him! 

In Beane we Trust!

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There were 2 plays that a better WR than Duke Williams or John Brown turn into TDs. In a game that close, yes it would have been the difference.

So many people want their narrative to be right, they will blindly ignore absolutely every other factor to further push their agenda.

Its okay, if you firmly believe a WR makes or breaks that game, that's fine. Clearly you have to clutch those pearls and ignore everything else.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have watched the full game tape. I am not as forgiving as you are. I think it is a legit concern and I am not willing to wave it away and say "ah he was fed up with bad Quarterbacking." 

Catch the damn ball.

This ^^^  we were the 2nd worst in drops last season iirc, or close to it. This very issue has been the bane of our team the last two seasons. Who ever is the best pass catcher is my guy.

Our current best pass catchers by catch percentage iirc,  are Brown Beasley and Williams, we need more... I so do enjoy stating the obvious...?

16 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Its extremely hyperbolic to assume a WR was the difference between a win and a lose. Hopkins is a game changer and didnt do a damn thing until the second half, after having fumbled earlier in the game. 

There were a lot of elements to that game that really hurt the Bills outside of WR. Telling me we were a WR away from winning, despite having TDs taken away, despite phantom penalties, despite Allen crumbling in the fourth, despite all these other things, a WR would not have absolutely changed the outcome of the game.

There are always multiple reasons for losses.  Always.  There are definitely multiple places where the Bills could’ve been better from a talent or execution standpoint that would’ve changed that L into a W.  But you have not in any way refuted that a difference maker at WR would not have changed the outcome.

The Bills have a QB that can put pressure on a defense by running.  They also have a lot of good pieces.  But they don’t have a big difference maker at the offensive skill positions.  They have two quality WRs, one in the slot and one outside.  You’re telling me that filling the freaking hole on the other outside spot with a better skill player than we have on offense wouldn’t have made a difference?  Not one important play?  Not by that player or another because a play got opened up by attention paid to the difference maker?  In a game that went well into OT?  That’s hardly hyperbolic. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Glad to see this thread.  Coming away from the combine, there’s definitely a feeling that the Bills like those two a lot.  Very similar to the year they drafted Watkins.  Different F/O, but I remember coming away sensing they were about to make a move (though admittedly I thought it was for Evans and not Watkins).  I get the feeling (and that feeling seems to be shared) that Buffalo is really thinking about moving up.  Just weighing out everything, if I had to guess based off of the talk, chatter and lip service, I believe they’ll try this year and that the target is Lamb.  I think it will be a trade with the Panthers, if it happens and it will cost next year’s first.  I love JJ.  I think he’s the best WR in the class. Reading the tea leaves though, Lamb is the best WR for Allen.  I’m not all-in on this, but I’m starting to believe the smoke has some fire behind it.  Trying to wrap my brain around CD being a Bill.  And I agree that the Nuke comparisons are definitely valid.  

but I’m probably wrong, so there’s that.

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

There are always multiple reasons for losses.  Always.  There are definitely multiple places where the Bills could’ve been better from a talent or execution standpoint that would’ve changed that L into a W.  But you have not in any way refuted that a difference maker at WR would not have changed the outcome.

The Bills have a QB that can put pressure on a defense by running.  They also have a lot of good pieces.  But they don’t have a big difference maker at the offensive skill positions.  They have two quality WRs, one in the slot and one outside.  You’re telling me that filling the freaking hole on the other outside spot with a better skill player than we have on offense wouldn’t have made a difference?  Not one important play?  Not by that player or another because a play got opened up by attention paid to the difference maker?  In a game that went well into OT?  That’s hardly hyperbolic. 

Does it make a difference? It's entirely possible it makes a difference, does it clearly win us the game? Absolutely not. There were a variety of factors that lost us that game. And to tell me a WR would have been the deciding factor is pushing a narrative. I put out a handful of examples to plays that effected the outcome that didnt have anything to do with the WR position at all. Yet, seemingly none of those matter because WR!!!!

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A LB and a S who cant tackle cost the Bills that game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Both are definitely studs. To me, Jeudy's route running gives him the slight edge for me. 

JJ in my opinion is definitely the more technically sound.  But that’s what has me thinking it’s NOT him, honestly.  I think that getting a guy that has the better ability to “catch anything with ease”, suits JA the most.  I don’t think he’s where he needs to be to reap the benefits of JJ’s precision.  Both are incredible though, no question.  I just have a sneaky suspicion that it would be the more sure-handed Lamb.  And it would have to be a leapfrog over AZ scenario because I just can’t see them passing on him.   But again, I’m probably overthinking things.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DFT said:

JJ in my opinion is definitely the more technically sound.  But that’s what has me thinking it’s NOT him, honestly.  I think that getting a guy that has the better ability to “catch anything with ease”, suits JA the most.  I don’t think he’s where he needs to be to reap the benefits of JJ’s precision.  Both are incredible though, no question.  I just have a sneaky suspicion that it would be the more sure-handed Lamb.  And it would have to be a leapfrog over AZ scenario because I just can’t see them passing on him.   But again, I’m probably overthinking things.

I definitely see where you are coming from, but I wouldn't sell Jeudy's athleticism short. I have seen make a lot of contested catches. Id be ecstatic with either one. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

I definitely see where you are coming from, but I wouldn't sell Jeudy's athleticism short. I have seen make a lot of contested catches. Id be ecstatic with either one. 

Definitely not his athleticism.  No issues there at all.  More so his concentration (which isn’t a red flag or anything).  But again, I’m absolutely in the minority in my thinking.  Either would be a tremendous addition.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

That block was perfectly fine, that would have been BS call like the one on Ford in the WC game, jmo... 

Like I said up thread I was having a flashback.
Pretty sure there is a whole thread dedicated to Ford's block and the subsequent crackback call.

55 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Its okay, if you firmly believe a WR makes or breaks that game, that's fine. Clearly you have to clutch those pearls and ignore everything else.

I don't know how you can ignore what happened in the game. A #1 WR drags his feet before touching the sideline at the 5 yard line. A #1 WR catches the TD in the back corner of the endzone. That's the difference in the game. Other plays could have made the difference but I don't know what single player you can add to change those.

The biggest problem our offense had last year was forcing John Brown into a #1 role. He is a career #2 or #3. And our #2 outside WR was split between Zay Jones and Duke Williams, two players that should practically never see the field. A #1 receiver solves everything unless Allen fails to progress. Not only does it give him a dependable target, it also gives Brown and Beasley more favorable matchups.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

There were plays left on the field by a variety of positions. Not just WR. We 

With the Bills Receiver groups propensity to drop passes at crucial moments in games..., that and the receivers are the go to guys, yes, the opinion stated is quite valid, and frankly pretty obvious. 

nuthin but luv,?

I think I’m wanting a beer ? and fried food with cheese on it....screw my arteries... 

Go Bills!!!

35 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Like I said up thread I was having a flashback.
Pretty sure there is a whole thread dedicated to Ford's block and the subsequent crackback call.

Yup, I read that thread,? my attempt at at being a bit humorous evidently failed..

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know how you can ignore what happened in the game. A #1 WR drags his feet before touching the sideline at the 5 yard line. A #1 WR catches the TD in the back corner of the endzone. That's the difference in the game. Other plays could have made the difference but I don't know what single player you can add to change those.

The biggest problem our offense had last year was forcing John Brown into a #1 role. He is a career #2 or #3. And our #2 outside WR was split between Zay Jones and Duke Williams, two players that should practically never see the field. A #1 receiver solves everything unless Allen fails to progress. Not only does it give him a dependable target, it also gives Brown and Beasley more favorable matchups.

There is no point in going back and forth. There were a handful if not more plays that were/weren't made that cost the Bills that game. You believe it was solely not having a WR, again that's a fine opinion to have. The fact that Allen fell apart in the fourth, the fact they took points off the board for no reason, the fact they had a phantom call on Cody Ford, the fact that Beasley was drastically underutilized, the fact Daboll sputtered in the second half...

But yes, the only factor that matters is WR. I'm done debating the Bills losing to the Texans solely because a WR or lack there of.

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

Does it make a difference? It's entirely possible it makes a difference, does it clearly win us the game? Absolutely not. There were a variety of factors that lost us that game. And to tell me a WR would have been the deciding factor is pushing a narrative. I put out a handful of examples to plays that effected the outcome that didnt have anything to do with the WR position at all. Yet, seemingly none of those matter because WR!!!!

Didn’t say none of those mattered.  I said that an elite player at a skill position would’ve made a difference and that the weakest spot was at WR on the outside.  I also said that other positions that had issues could have also helped and that addressing the most important need does not preclude addressing those.  I don’t see you debating that though. 

The only other position where improvement could’ve been as great or great was at QB.  That’s not changing this season so I don’t see a need to address it. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

You believe it was solely not having a WR, again that's a fine opinion to have

That is not what I believe. All I'm saying is that we can immediately fix that piece in this draft if we are willing to trade up. And it wasn't just in the playoff game, it was a noticeable problem all year.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That is not what I believe. All I'm saying is that we can immediately fix that piece in this draft if we are willing to trade up. And it wasn't just in the playoff game, it was a noticeable problem all year.

And there were also other noticeable problems throughout the year we could use draft capital on, including both OL/DL which are vastly more crucial than WR.

The best part of this whole thing, I absolutely love Lamb, an very high on Jeudy and think Ruggs is a very good spec as well. This has zero to do with wanting to add that level of prospect to this team.

Edited by BillsFan17