MMQB: Bills spent considerable time with top WRs including Jeudy and Lamb

What I've been predicting. They moved up for Allen and Edmunds. We have to maximize our roster while Allen is on his rookie deal. If we solidify our pass rush via FA, you can bet Beane will try to move up to get Jeudy, Lamb, or even Ruggs

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, elltrain22 said:

What I've been predicting. They moved up for Allen and Edmunds. We have to maximize our roster while Allen is on his rookie deal. If we solidify our pass rush via FA, you can bet Beane will try to move up to get Jeudy, Lamb, or even Ruggs

If they sure up other positions in FA, it's not out of the realm of possibility, and McDermott moved up twice before Beane got here, and Beane has moved up four times in his combined drafts. Would they do it, who knows, if they genuinely love the player, like you said they have moved up. I don't think its within their best interests. Especially since, I dont think its cost effective to blow our wad on filling every hole via FA. Especially with the contracts we will have to extend.

10 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

One thing we know that if McBean wants his guy he will go and get him ,  do you think Jeudy/Alabama connection could be the one that ( if we do make the move ) we move up for ?

Edited by Putin

34 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Care to link where Beane said that about this class?

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/why-wide-receiver-draft-prospects-like-what-they-see-from-the-buffalo-bills

Cause he is even more, with even those in the media thinking the depth of the class could allow us to wait.

Reed83HOF had a thread about this a few weeks ago. Lots of interesting info in it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

Reed83HOF had a thread about this a few weeks ago. Lots of interesting info in it. 

Thats from 2018, not this year, and not in regard to any of the players being discussed. Are we really going to apply logic from a different draft class, at a different state of the franchise, with vastly different circumstances, one in which the targets were not WR?

Just now, PIZ said:

Ah yes rely on what the media says about waiting, they are less informed on what the Bill's need than this board. 

It is all very fluid, but the teams above us will push the WR talent down a bit, Simmons, Young, the OTs, a CB or 2, the QBs will allow at least 1 of not 2 of the top 3 to hit pick 10 or 11. 

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

Thats from 2018, not this year, and not in regard to any of the players being discussed. Are we really going to apply logic from a different draft class, at a different state of the franchise, with vastly different circumstances, one in which the targets were not WR?

Jesus h christ, there is no point with discussing anything with you. It perfectly applies to their year or any year or frankly any position. He said when he drafted Edmund's, if top talent falls and it's a need, we will go get it. But again that was from 2018 and doesn't apply here. 

I'm out

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Ah yes rely on what the media says about waiting, they are less informed on what the Bill's need than this board. 

It is all very fluid, but the teams above us will push the WR talent down a bit, Simmons, Young, the OTs, a CB or 2, the QBs will allow at least 1 of not 2 of the top 3 to hit pick 10 or 11. 

Jesus h christ, there is no point with discussing anything with you. It perfectly applies to their year or any year or frankly any position. He said when he drafted Edmund's, if top talent falls and it's a need, we will go get it. But again that was from 2018 and doesn't apply here. 

I'm out

Bye

And yes the landscape has changed, and I'm willing to bet so has Beanes draft approach. Especially considering as your acting like unanimously contextual, why didn't beane take Ridley instead of Edmunds? Maybe because MLB is a position of higher value and worthy of trading up for? Or how thin the position was beyond Edmunds, like he alluded to with having drafting Oliver, and how thin the 3 tech position was during his class, thus being less likely to wait and possibly find one later.

Trying to act like the approach of a team who was at the begging of a rebuild will be the same now, especially at a position group where the same guy you are quoting has stated the incredible depth...

Edited by BillsFan17

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Hmm. Didn’t realize it was from 2018, but it’s still Beanes thoughts. I think there was another thread on here where Beane was quoted as saying he’d trade up if the board called for it. Beane said he would trade up for a guy, like Edmunds, if a talented player was dropping; a player that stood out from the rest. 

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Hmm. Didn’t realize it was from 2018, but it’s still Beanes thoughts. I think there was another thread on here where Beane was quoted as saying he’d trade up if the board called for it. Beane said he would trade up for a guy, like Edmunds, if a talented player was dropping; a player that stood out from the rest. 

Doesn't matter anyways, he is going down with his opinion and apparently regardless of past performance and thoughts on his philosophies in general discussion need to be in the current year only. ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Doesn't matter anyways, he is going down with his opinion and apparently regardless of past performance and thoughts on his philosophies in general discussion need to be in the current year only. ?‍♂️

Lmao yes, cause context matters, the situations matter, the state the team is in from then to now matters.

How the GM approaches one draft, and the positions absolutely bears context year to year.

Unless of course you expect Beane to trade up for a QB/LB again this year...

Again, you have also yet to prove where I was wrong in WRs beyond the first round being as productive if not more than those taken ahead of them. You're child who doesnt like facts.

Edited by BillsFan17

7 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Lmao yes, cause context matters, the situations matter, the state the team is in from then to now matters.

How the GM approaches one draft, and the positions absolutely bears context year to year.

Again, you have also yet to prove where I was wrong in WRs beyond the first round being as productive if not more than those taken ahead of them. You're child who doesnt like facts.

https://giphy.com/gifs/a3zqvrH40Cdhu

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well, there are only 22 meetings listed there, so presumably there were 23 more.... Beane sounded salty about giving up 15 meetings and only having 45, so I can’t imagine he didn’t take full advantage of the number allowed

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Using a Jennifer Lawrence gif further proves my point. You have brought nothing to table to discredit anything I have said.

I show facts about the production level of WRs across multiple drafts/rounds, you bring nothing 

I show quotes about our own GM and other media members discussing the depth of this draft and the potential to wait on them, you bring an article from 2018, which lacks any context to this draft or the players even discussed in this thread. Then parade around like you are smarter about the subject at hand. 

If Beane moves up for a WR in this class, especially due to its depth its poor asset management, barring the cost being exceptionally low in order to move up.

Edited by BillsFan17

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

What stats? You don't think receivers taken early have a better success rate? 

Julio Jones, AJ Green, Mike Evans, OBJ, DeAndre Hopkins, Brandin Cooks, Amari Cooper.... all 1st rounders. 

As there being guys who will go 4th and 5th off the board in this class that would be 1st off in other classes - I agree. In classes that lack those true elite prospects. That is the whole point. 

The top 3 are clearly better prospects. I'd be shocked if any of the three busted to be honest. Might there be guys from the next group who out perform one, two or all of the three top guys? Yep. Very possible. But there will 100% be guys in that 2nd tier who bust. You have to make sure you don't pick those ones. 

I am not even arguing FOR the trade up. I am arguing that you are giving up assets to reduce the bust percentage risk and that, is absolutely correct. Whether you think that is the right approach is a different question. 

I didn't say that.  You said they bust SIGNIFICANTLY less.  I said the stats dont suggest its SIGNIFICANT.  I can list a ton of WR's who busted to match your list that didn't.  

Statistically, the bust rate of someone taken in the top 10 isn't SIGNIFICANTLY better than someone taken at 22.  My point was simply that its not a significant as you made it out to be, and its also not an exact science year to year either.  

You dont mortgage the future to move up for a WR this year in this draft class.  You can move up still, but its totally unnecessary to make a huge move.  Last year you and lots of others kept saying there were no #1 WR's in the draft or special guys, yet many came in and made huge impacts right away and proved just how good that draft class was like many of us kept saying.  

Again this year, its loaded and even more so than last year.  You do not need to give up the farm to get any one player at WR this year is all I am saying.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Beane is Beane and he is always looking to make the roster better. Doesn’t matter when he said it.  I think he’s looking for ELITE players, not bunch of middle of the road players. Allen (trade up), Edmunds (trade up), Ford (trade up), Knox (trade up), and they tried to trade for an elite WR Antonio Brown.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Beane is Beane and he is always looking to make the roster better. Doesn’t matter when he said it.  I think he’s looking for ELITE players, not bunch of middle of the road players. Allen (trade up), Edmunds (trade up), Ford (trade up), Knox (trade up), and they tried to trade for an elite WR Antonio Brown.  

I never denied Beane doesnt make moves. That's not the point, the point was, I said Beane pointed out that there was great depth at the WR position, so much so that he felt its entirely possible a day three guy could come in any take a starters job.

That was a quote about this years class, about this years WRs, and his sentiment about the depth of the class.

Showing me his feelings about approaching the draft in 2018, in no way indicates to me hell likely trade up for one of the top three guys in the 2020 class.

Is it possible, I'm sure it is, Beane moves around. McDermott twice traded up when be ran the draft for Zay/Dion. Again, I'm saying its impossible. I simply point out I think it's bad asset management.

However, again, I'm talking about potentially waiting because

1) history has been on the side of guys producing all throughout the draft at WR. Especially in recent years.

2) Our own GM having referenced the depth RECENTLY AND ABOUT THIS DRAFT.

3) I sincerely doubt they value WR in the same light they value QB/MLB. Which, again, when you look at the context of making bold trades in the first round. Premium positions...

Edited by BillsFan17

8 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Run away

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I never denied Beane doesnt make moves. That's not the point, the point was, I said Beane pointed out that there was great depth at the WR position, so much so that he felt its entirely possible a day three guy could come in any take a starters job.

That was a quote about this years class, about this years WRs, and his sentiment about the depth of the class.

Showing me his feelings about approaching the draft in 2018, in no way indicates to me hell likely trade up for one of the top three guys in the 2020 class.

Is it possible, I'm sure it is, Beane moves around. McDermott twice traded up when be ran the draft for Zay/Dion. Again, I'm saying its impossible. I simply point out I think it's bad asset management.

However, again, I'm talking about potentially waiting because

1) history has been on the side of guys producing all throughout the draft at WR. Especially in recent years.

2) Our own GM having referenced the depth RECENTLY AND ABOUT THIS DRAFT.

3) I sincerely doubt they value WR in the same light they value QB/MLB. Which, again, when you look at the context of making bold trades in the first round. Premium positions...

I personally feel that Beane is looking to trade up for K’Lavon Chaisson. However, if one of the top 3 WRs drop, and Beane thinks they have a chance at being ELITE, I believe he’ll pull the trigger. How many elite players do the scouts consider there to be in this draft? 10, 15, 20? I’m guessing that Beane wants a shot at one of those elite players, and it doesn’t matter if that elite player is an Edge, CB, OT, Safety, or WR. 

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. That’s just mine.