There are two kinds of people in this world.........

I thought I packed heavy, but the Howell’s had months worth of stuff for a 3 hour tour. He must have inherited that money. Clearly a moron! Being stuck on an island with Gilligan was the only way to save him from himself. So some good came out of it.....

I mean, what is the rich guy doing on someone else’s little boat with riff raff? 

Edited by Augie

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

mom forbid me watching it during the 70s when i was in elementary school, said it was too stupid a show

I'd have saved Dawn Wells... 

Image result for dawn wells lollipop

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

mom forbid me watching it during the 70s when i was in elementary school, said it was too stupid a show

She was correct.  
As to the original topic, my ninth grade English teacher Mr. McKim maintained there were ‘screwers’ and ‘screwees’.  After being admonished by the principal that his class was being unruly, the manure rolled downhill, and we  were all invited to detention after hours.  

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Most television shows are pretty stupid in terms of content but for 10's of millions of kids here in the US during the 1970's television was the baby sitter when the kids got home from school.  Back when there was three choices (we could not pull in PBS) for viewing Gilligan was usually one of the three at 4PM.  Phil Donahue was on sometimes at 4 until some parent's kid got an earful on human reproduction and then the parent called the television station then Phil got pushed pushed back to 3PM.  If you were like me that meant you could still catch 20 plus minutes of PD.

Edited by RochesterRob

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Those who believe that Gilligan is the problem and those who think that the rest of the castaways are the real morons for entrusting any degree of responsibility to Gilligan.  

who said there was a problem?

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But they usually don't trust Gilligan... He just always messes ***** up. They try an insulate the him.  Yet, disaster follows him.

Today for example the other castaways had Gilligan watch Wrong Way Feldman's plane with Feldman ultimately fleeing the island.  You would think that after Gilligan ruined the supply hut containing the many dozen remaining flares the Professor would have Gilligan tied to a tree until a plan was completed.  We can all be snarky and say that the others would have killed Gilligan after a while but this was a 1960's show after all with a minimum of malice demonstrated.

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Today for example the other castaways had Gilligan watch Wrong Way Feldman's plane with Feldman ultimately fleeing the island.  You would think that after Gilligan ruined the supply hut containing the many dozen remaining flares the Professor would have Gilligan tied to a tree until a plan was completed.  We can all be snarky and say that the others would have killed Gilligan after a while but this was a 1960's show after all with a minimum of malice demonstrated.

Is this why we're not supposed to ask why the Professor could invent all this cool sh-- out of palm trees and coconuts but he couldn't figure out how to invent a patch for the boat?

Or how neither Ginger or Mary Ann ended up pregnant?

39 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Is this why we're not supposed to ask why the Professor could invent all this cool sh-- out of palm trees and coconuts but he couldn't figure out how to invent a patch for the boat?

Or how neither Ginger or Mary Ann ended up pregnant?

Or how neither Ginger nor Mary Ann ended up pregnant?

Mr. Howell : Would not tap either due to 1960's sense of chivalry with the upper class plus Mrs Howell being right there.

The Professor :  Would not want children so he had either of the women swallow.  

The Skipper : Ginger would not touch him even if she was falling down drunk.  Mary Ann would feel like it was doing her father (Again the 1960's chivalry kicking in).

Gilligan : Very complicated situation unlike the character himself.  Both women would fear the result of bearing very stupid children.  In the rare emotionally charged evening for Mary Ann she would grant Gilligan pity play.  Ginger might also in a very drunken moment jump Gilligan because he is youthful plus Ginger would consider Gilligan a non-emotional bridge until she could get back to Hollywood to jump an actor.  Gilligan strikes me as the type of guy who would have blanks in his gun done as a courtesy by nature so as not to burden the world with more Gilligan family members.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Most television shows are pretty stupid in terms of content but for 10's of millions of kids here in the US during the 1970's television was the baby sitter when the kids got home from school.  Back when there was three choices (we could not pull in PBS) for viewing Gilligan was usually one of the three at 4PM.  Phil Donahue was on sometimes at 4 until some parent's kid got an earful on human reproduction and then the parent called the television station then Phil got pushed pushed back to 3PM.  If you were like me that meant you could still catch 20 plus minutes of PD.

I was the oldest of two and they gave up on imposing dumb rules for music and TV for my sister, they were exhausted or learned it didn’t matter 

13 hours ago, row_33 said:

I was the oldest of two and they gave up on imposing dumb rules for music and TV for my sister, they were exhausted or learned it didn’t matter 

My parents never oversaw my television viewing during the afternoon as they were still busy with work.  If I was a parent back then I would not go to the extreme of forbidding a certain show but I might pipe up about a situation depicted that concerned me.  I would want them to know that certain things depicted on a show would not unfold like that in real life.  That there would be consequences unlike what was shown on television.  Like Captain Kirk jumping the bones of every young attractive alien woman that he ever crossed paths with.  Only once showing a pregnancy and a willingness by the woman that virtually never happens in real life.

Edited by RochesterRob

18 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Those who believe that Gilligan is the problem and those who think that the rest of the castaways are the real morons for entrusting any degree of responsibility to Gilligan.  

I don't recall anyone other than the Skipper ever entrusting Gilligan with anything.   

If anything, the castaways should have a beef with management...

17 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Or how neither Ginger nor Mary Ann ended up pregnant?

Mr. Howell : Would not tap either due to 1960's sense of chivalry with the upper class plus Mrs Howell being right there.

The Professor :  Would not want children so he had either of the women swallow.  

The Skipper : Ginger would not touch him even if she was falling down drunk.  Mary Ann would feel like it was doing her father (Again the 1960's chivalry kicking in).

Gilligan : Very complicated situation unlike the character himself.  Both women would fear the result of bearing very stupid children.  In the rare emotionally charged evening for Mary Ann she would grant Gilligan pity play.  Ginger might also in a very drunken moment jump Gilligan because he is youthful plus Ginger would consider Gilligan a non-emotional bridge until she could get back to Hollywood to jump an actor.  Gilligan strikes me as the type of guy who would have blanks in his gun done as a courtesy by nature so as not to burden the world with more Gilligan family members.

Looks like the parents didn’t turn off Phil Donahue early enough. Maybe a little too much Maury and Springer for you as well.  ?

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Looks like the parents didn’t turn off Phil Donahue early enough. Maybe a little too much Maury and Springer for you as well.  ?

Maury and Springer were well after my childhood.  Is the caller there?