Would you guys want to re-sign Dawkins at the 15 mill a year price tag?

njbuff

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yanda has been better than top 10 and I think Dawkins would be too. But for now it is academic because unless something strange happens he is staying at tackle for the foreseeable. 

For sure but again I'm not willing to call him Marshall yanda level quite yet a two-time All-Pro.. and it is a moot point because he doesn't play guard

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

are they paid $15M/year?  Probably not.  I can't go through all of them, but I'll give a few examples of better LTs - Tyron Smith of Dallas and Eric Fisher.  Smith is at $13.5M/year and Fisher is at $14.5M/year.  I would put both ahead of Dawkins, though they make in the ball park to slightly less than what Dawkins would make at $15M.  Everyone whiffs, just Dawkins misses blocks and commits penalties at some inopportune times.

Doesnt the wage scale every year though.....even though say Smith makes X the next year the next one will make more

39 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Doesnt the wage scale every year though.....even though say Smith makes X the next year the next one will make more

Yes, that is true, salary will change (some players more than others) with each year.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That is a slightly different question because some of the guys I would still say are "better" are at the tail end of their career and might join the legendary Andrew Whitworth in the retirement line - Jason Peters, Anthony Costanzo and Joe Staley spring to mind. 

Of the remainder I'd take before Dawkins..... Tyron Smith, Ronnie Stanley, David Bhaktiari, Jake Matthews, Terron Armstead, Taylor Lewan are all still under 30 and clearly better. I think Dawkins is in that next group with the likes of Laremy Tunsil, Eric Fisher and Taylor Decker. That is another level again ahead of the Grant Bolles, Riley Reiffs and DJ Humphries of the world - but Humphries just signed a 3 year, $45m extension which does tell you the market the Bills will have to be in with Dion. 

There is no excuse not to pay him. Refusing to pay a guy who is reliable and solid at left tackle because he isn't elite makes no sense to me. If an elite guy falls in your lap in a year or two you just slide Dion inside. There is a bunch of teams who don't even have a guy in that DJ Humphries group and if the Bills move on from Dion without good cause that is where they well could end up. 

I think Dion would be a top 5 guard. Not Zach Martin or Quentin Nelson but I do think he could be Marshal Yanda and he made a couple of all pro lists in his career. And as I said to you in another thread.... I don't subscribe to the "kick any old tackle inside and they will be good." I think that logic is flawed. I just think Dion has the skillset to be dominant inside. Always have done. And there were a couple of series his rookie year when Cordy Glenn was in the lineup and Richie came out hobbled where Dion slid into that guard spot and absolutely blew people up. Small sample size but I believe he could be that inside. 

Like I said...hard to name 10 guys you’d rather have than Dawkins. 

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Like I said...hard to name 10 guys you’d rather have than Dawkins. 

Taylor lewan , Jake Matthews , Joe Staley , Trent Williams , terron armstead, tyrone Smith, David Bakhtiari, Eric Fisher , Cordy Glenn WAS better(while here)(Don't count), Andrew Whitworth , Jason Peters, Alejandro villanueva, laremy Tunsil, Ronnie Stanley

Not counting age or anything. 1 game or 1 season these guys are all more steady besides Glenn who I mentioned because WHILE HERE , was steadier than Dawkins

Edited by Buffalo716

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Taylor lewan , Jake Matthews , Joe Staley , Trent Williams , terron armstead, tyrone Smith, David Bakhtiari, Eric Fisher , Cordy Glenn WAS better(while here)(Don't count), Andrew Whitworth , Jason Peters, Alejandro villanueva, laremy Tunsil, Ronnie Stanley

Not counting age or anything. 1 game or 1 season these guys are all more steady besides Glenn who I mentioned because WHILE HERE , was steadier than Dawkins

What kind of ridiculous logic is ‘not counting age or anything?

To suggest you’d rather have guys like Peters or Glenn is laughable.

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

What kind of ridiculous logic is ‘not counting age or anything?

To suggest you’d rather have guys like Peters or Glenn is laughable.

Well did you even read? I did not say Glenn is better . I said he was a better LT for US than Dawkins has been. That's the only reason I mentioned him

And yes Peters is still better

This isn't about who will be better in 5 years... Who's better today

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tunsil??? He’s JAG. Fisher same imo. 

Glenn is a joke. Whitworth is 50, Villanueva ain’t that great anymore, and Peters is probably older than both of them. 

Dawkins has a VERY good year imo. He’s the kind of guy you don’t mess around with. 

19 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Tunsil??? He’s JAG. Fisher same imo. 

Glenn is a joke. Whitworth is 50, Villanueva ain’t that great anymore, and Peters is probably older than both of them. 

Dawkins has a VERY good year imo. He’s the kind of guy you don’t mess around with. 

If you read I said Glenn was a better LT while HERE not anymore... Tunsil last year was better pass blocker and Villanueva and Whitworth are maybe even but he's had NOWHERE near their careers.. Peters is still better . I named all those guys off my head

Dawkins needs to improve he wasnt a top 10 LT last year. He commits too many penalties still and gets beat at the worse time

I hope he improves to that level, he isn't there yet. Nobody has him as a top 10 LT

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Of you read I said Glenn was a better LT while HERE not anymore... Tunsil last year was better same with Whitworth and Villanueva has had a much better career and was still solid last year... Peters is still better

Dawkins needs to improve he wasnt a top 12 LT last year. He commits too many penalties still and gets beat at the worse time

I disagree about Tunsil, I think he is dead average. 

Tunsil, Whitworth, Peters, Lewan all had more penalties than Dawkins last year.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I disagree about Tunsil, I think he is dead average. 

Tunsil, Whitworth, Peters, Lewan all had more penalties than Dawkins last year.

How many sacks did those guys allow? And pressures?

Tunsil did have alot of penalties but he was also very efficient in pass protection

https://www.google.com/amp/s/texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/23/lt-laremy-tunsil-worth-texans/amp/

Peters still a better pass blocker , and Lewan didn't have more penalties and had less sacks allowed

I Like Dawkins skillset but he does allow pressure at the worst times. I hope he improves alot and he earns a new contract

I named those guys off my head to show that Dawkins needs to improve to have those kinda careers. Tunsil and Dawkins are probably close tho. 16 penalties is bad

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

How many sacks did those guys allow? And pressures?

Tunsil did have alot of penalties but he was also very efficient in pass protection

https://www.google.com/amp/s/texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/23/lt-laremy-tunsil-worth-texans/amp/

Peters still a better pass blocker , and Lewan didn't have more penalties and had less sacks allowed

I Like Dawkins skillset but he does allow pressure at the worst times. I hope he improves alot and he earns a new contract

I named those guys off my head to show that Dawkins needs to improve to have those kinda careers. Tunsil and Dawkins are probably close tho. 16 penalties is bad

For me he doesn’t need to improve much to earn a deal. I think he has really great flexibility in the run game and while he isn’t exactly the long/strong prototype he can maul when he gets in close and his feet and hips are some of the best imo. He finds leverage in a lot of situations...I think he has good instincts that can’t be taught.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

For me he doesn’t need to improve much to earn a deal. I think he has really great flexibility in the run game and while he isn’t exactly the long/strong prototype he can maul when he gets in close and his feet and hips are some of the best imo. He finds leverage in a lot of situations...I think he has good instincts that can’t be taught.

I do think he is great Mauler in close and is a great athlete. I like his skill set, he certainly is the best tackle on our team and can pull as well

I just don't think he's a top 5-10 guy rn. Probably right outside it but ascending. We need to re sign him or we will have another hole

I just wish he got his pass blocking technique down a bit more

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

and Lewan is the current highest paid tackle correct? 

Idk but Lewan had less penalties and sacks allowed and pressures than Dawkins

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I do think he is great Mauler in close and is a great athlete. I like his skill set, he certainly is the best tackle on our team and can pull as well

I just don't think he's a top 5-10 guy rn. Probably right outside it but ascending. We need to re sign him or we will have another hole

Idk but Lewan had less penalties and sacks allowed and pressures than Dawkins

well if Lewan is that good (headcase that he is) then I’d expect that. Hey Dawkins is a wildcard. I love him but he did have a very down year in year 2. I attribute that to the trash that was playing alongside him but i get some have reservations.

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

It’s cause he’s not real long. He likes to let his man in close and then stick him which can get him in trouble. 

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

and Lewan is the current highest paid tackle correct? 

I thought it was Solder but not sure

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

It’s cause he’s not real long. He likes to let his man in close and then stick him which can get him in trouble. 

I know why he struggles he doesn't have the punch of a 6'6 tackle .. he can't hit you before you hit him and as you said needs to play in close. That's why measurements are important

But I digress he is important to our team and he needs to have Josh's back if we are going somewhere

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I thought it was Solder but not sure

Looks like it is Solder.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/left-tackle/

While a $15M/year contract would move Dawkins into the #6 spot. That is just for now. I'd bet within a year or two he'd barely be in the top 10. So it all balances out over time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1