Some Beane quotes regarding FA in TG's new salary cap artilce

Reed83HOF

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Most of Beane's comments were things he's said before, but I found his remarks about McD's 'buddies' to be something new and kind of eye-opening.     

It's the first time I can recall him deviating from the "joined at the hip" partnership they've promoted when it comes to team building.     I like that Beane's clearly the sheriff in town and sort of keeping McD from getting too comfortable or over-loaded with his 'type' of guys (i.e., humble, God-fearing over-achieving underdogs)...      

“I stand back and look at it from a distance. Maybe he doesn’t want to teach a new guy, who has just a little more ability, the ins and outs of his system. It’s my job to press him on that if I think there are players who make us better in the draft or free agency.”

Both of those quotes were interesting to me... I've noticed that Beane has been letting people know lately that he is the guy making personnel decisions, not the coach.

I would normally have read that as referring to the offense, since the defense seems stacked but the phrase "his system" would seemingly refer to the defense. 

Beane must know that we need weapons for the offense and cannot hope to win games by playing ultra conservative. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I highly doubt that he meant him

Lol!    I agree, but it was too juicy a target, relative to Poyer's one bad game.     

He might also have been referring to the Ravens game, where one breakdown was the critical difference maker...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Lol!    I agree, but it was too juicy a target, relative to Poyer's one bad game.     

He might also have been referring to the Ravens game, where one breakdown was the critical difference maker... on the defense 

FIFY 

the critical difference maker In that game was the offensive performance. The defense should never need to be completely perfect against what was the top offense in the league to win a game.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Most of Beane's comments were things he's said before, but I found his remarks about McD's 'buddies' to be something new and kind of eye-opening.     

It's the first time I can recall him deviating from the "joined at the hip" partnership they've promoted when it comes to team building.     I like that Beane's clearly the sheriff in town and sort of keeping McD from getting too comfortable or over-loaded with his 'type' of guys (i.e., humble, God-fearing over-achieving underdogs)...      

I agree, one thing I can say about Beane is that he is very candid and as open as he possibly can be. Another comment I will make is that, while reviewing some past drafts over since 2010 - you can see how much more organized the FO is in targeted and identifying players and they types of players we are bringing in are significantly different than the previous few. 

I entirely agree with your last statement about him being the sheriff in town and that is another things that was missing terribly in the organization and the fact that the FO will challenge the coaching staff - they should! 

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

“I stand back and look at it from a distance. Maybe he doesn’t want to teach a new guy, who has just a little more ability, the ins and outs of his system. It’s my job to press him on that if I think there are players who make us better in the draft or free agency.”

Both of those quotes were interesting to me... I've noticed that Beane has been letting people know lately that he is the guy making personnel decisions, not the coach.

I would normally have read that as referring to the offense, since the defense seems stacked but the phrase "his system" would seemingly refer to the defense. 

Beane must know that we need weapons for the offense and cannot hope to win games by playing ultra conservative. 

Pretty common for HCs to think this way. Belichick and Saban are famous for it.

Also very common for a GM and HC to push each other on the “yeah-buts”...that’s how you grow in your thinking. And if there’s one thing that I love about this group, it’s that they aren’t afraid to change their approach.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

If that's the case, again to me it shows Beane's ability to take a 10,000 foot view and not just narrowly focus on one, singular point. 

And that is what you need - with the previous regimes, they would get who and what the coaches wanted, Sexy Rexy especially. We haven't had a broader perspective GM who would challenge a HC since Donahoe really

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Yes cutting Star would only save us a net of 2.3 mill with 7.8 mill dead

We don't need the cap space right now at all, and we don't need to create this hole unless there is a clear upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

FIFY 

the critical difference maker In that game was the offensive performance. The defense should never need to be completely perfect against what was the top offense in the league to win a game.

The offense talent and lack of elite talent on that side of the ball, really hurt us in all of the games we lost. The D was good enough to keep us in those games, we coucldn't keep the chains moving, settle for some FGs instead of TDs and didn't score enough points. I truly see Beano swinging for the fences to get his WR as we don't need a ton of players in this draft, this year. Our cap situation and our roster is set up as perfectly as it can be to take a swing (being reasonable of course)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

And that is what you need - with the previous regimes, they would get who and what the coaches wanted, Sexy Rexy especially. We haven't had a broader perspective GM who would challenge a HC since Donahoe really

Agreed.  And I'd go back beyond Donahoe to Polian.     IMO, TD was a funky GM from a player personnel / team architect point of view.   

The biggest head slap I ever had with him was a quote he made about not ever talking to Mike Williams before when they took him at pick #4 in 2002.    How can a GM not even meet with a prospective #4 pick to kick the tires and see what his personality was like?    It was malpractice IMO.    Big Mike clearly didn't love the game of football and a lot could have been learned about that if they had done their DD properly.

There were many other odd things TD did that made me think he was a paper tiger, even with his Steeler pedigree...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

I commented in a few threads after I heard Beane talk about the "buddies" in his year end interviews/pressers.  I was elated to hear it!

I still think that Beane and McDermott are "joined at the hip".  It's just getting clearer that Beane is more the level headed pragmatist and

McDermott is the more personal and emotional one.

I think it could be a great blend that could work out into something wonderful long term.

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I commented in a few threads after I heard Beane talk about the "buddies" in his year end interviews/pressers.  I was elated to hear it!

I still think that Beane and McDermott are "joined at the hip".  It's just getting clearer that Beane is more the level headed pragmatist and

McDermott is the more personal and emotional one.

I think it could be a great blend that could work out into something wonderful long term.

Agree on the buddies thing, and sure hope they both stay here for the next two decades.., 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Agreed.  And I'd go back beyond Donahoe to Polian.     IMO, TD was a funky GM from a player personnel / team architect point of view.   

The biggest head slap I ever had with him was a quote he made about not ever talking to Mike Williams before when they took him at pick #4 in 2002.    How can a GM not even meet with a prospective #4 pick to kick the tires and see what his personality was like?    It was malpractice IMO.    Big Mike clearly didn't love the game of football and a lot could have been learned about that if they had done their DD properly.

There were many other odd things TD did that made me think he was a paper tiger, even with his Steeler pedigree...

I went to TD because he was the last free thinking GM we had, who wasn't beholden to an HC. Problem with him was he started to outsmart himself and it really didn't seem like he cared about what the HC wanted either. As a GM, I always though Butler was a bit overrated and was propped up by Polian's FO...

6 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

We don't need the cap space right now at all, and we don't need to create this hole unless there is a clear upgrade. 

I agree to hold on to Star

The thing I noticed is the reference to the Houston game. I'm wondering who he could be referencing because it definitely seems like he's saying a FA played poorly in that game.

Gotta be either Shaq or J Phillips I would think. Not like we have many free agents.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The thing I noticed is the reference to the Houston game. I'm wondering who he could be referencing because it definitely seems like he's saying a FA played poorly in that game.

Gotta be either Shaq or J Phillips I would think. Not like we have many free agents.

Poyer was trash in that game, let up the Watson td and was responsible for the 3rd and forever play in ot

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Phillips wasn’t good against the run but that wasn’t isolated to Houston. Though they did catch him and Liuget in at the same time and immediately had success with Carlos Hyde on the ground. Darn rotation - but Oliver is far superior to Phillips vs the run. As I said before - poyer came to mind with that comment because he had a bad game in Houston but it wasn’t a microcosm of his season. He’s not a FA but he’s an extension candidate who will be a 2021 FA and  I’m sure they are looking at closely.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Bottom line, I don't think these guys are going to land Top 10-15 contracts or their positions or anywhere close to $10 million plus.  My guess is both Phillips and Lawson will be in the $6-8 million per year range.  If they leave Buffalo, it will be likely due to factors beyond Brandon Beane's control.  My biggest concern with both guys is pride.  I think both guys may be overrating their own value, and may get offended if Buffalo doesn't offer them their perceived value.  We may have already burned the bridge with Lawson by not activating his 5th Year Option.  Phillips meanwhile is always on social media defending his play, and legitimately appears to see himself as one of the league's top players.  Beane will probably give both guys fair offers, but won't overpay or break the bank.

I think this may be a fair assessment.  I think Beane is trying to take an approach that leaves the door open and spares their pride. 

That's the point of him saying "Jordan Phillips has earned the right to test free agency" and his stuff about sometimes guys need to test the waters and that doesn't mean we won't sign them if FA approaches and they're not yet signed, or words to that effect.

He's saying "we want you back.  we want you to have a fair contract.  this is how we value the role you're playing for us, talk to people about how they value the role you might play for them and see what you learn"

• Like (+1) 1