SI's Albert Breer implies Bills might take a QB high in the draft?? EDIT: He since apologized

21 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He doesn't actually say Rosen is good; he says he hasn't had a chance and has had 5 coordinators in 5 seasons. Which is true.

This comment from Breer is absolutely true, and it's why the Bills need to think about upgrading:

Backup quarterbacks matter. You know the story of Tannehill. He bailed out a team that was ready to win in so many places, but also on course to pay for missing on a QB taken second overall five years ago. You probably haven’t heard as much on Matt Moore, who the Chiefs lured from a scouting job with the Dolphins when Chad Henne got hurt.

Moore went 2-1 in place of Mahomes, if you include the game where Mahomes dislocated his kneecap. And you can argue his ability to lead a game-winning drive against a stout Vikings defense in Week 9 helped Kansas City win the Super Bowl. If the Chiefs didn't win that one, they wouldn't have gotten the bye, and they would've had to play the Titans in the wild-card round and go to Foxborough to play the Patriots in the divisional round.

I’m not saying they wouldn’t have won it all anyway. But it would’ve been a lot tougher. And on the flip side, the Steelers’ mess of a backup quarterback situation felled a season in which they finally found a way to fix a defense that’s been wobbly for close to a decade, only to lose Ben Roethlisberger early on. Which makes me think…

Rosen has played 5 seasons? 

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What Breer actually said about Rosen was:

I still think the kid has talent. But he’s played for five offensive coordinators the last five years, and that’ll take a toll on any quarterback. And that becomes another problem: Other teams might see you as damaged goods.  In the end, I’d say the chances he’s the long-term answer in Miami are small. The question now would be whether or not someone offers something for him.

What the heck is Breer babbling about here? Rosen has been in the league for two seasons, not five, and I'm not sure, but I'm *pretty* sure he hasn't had five offensive coordinators. I take it ol' Alberto was tired when writing this.... wait a tick, maybe I'm the idiot. *Does the Google* Yep. He was counting college. My bad, everybody. Move along, nothing to see here... I mean, there could literally be nothing to see as I don't *have* to click "Submit Reply" but dapgummit (Phillip Rivers style) I typed all this crap so here we are. 

• Haha (+1) 2

20 hours ago, elijah said:

100% agree with this. 

As part of my dream offseason, the Bills cut Barkley and Case Keenum walks from the ‘Skins to sign here as a backup. 

I don’t care if that means we’re paying our backup $5M-$6M a year.  When you’re competing, as we are, and your QB’s physical, as Josh is, a backup QB is necessary every single year. 

Bring back Fitz

On 2/5/2020 at 10:26 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was with until the second paragraph.  Of course the situation matters.  JP Losman sat for a year and started for a team coming off a 9-7 season.  The Jags built a powerhouse defense (kinda like Buffalo) and Bortles wasn’t asked to carry the team.  Leaf was popping crazy pills.  

again, he might not be good enough.  But the Cards and Fins did everything in their power to make sure he won’t be.  I’m a big fan of Louis Riddick and he is all about these teams not giving him a real shot.  More young qbs are ruined than made.  

amazingly enough, Buffalo has done a fairly good job developing a quarterback for once. 

I actually think Buffalo did a worse job, but Allen has risen above it. Replacing Peterman at halftime in Week 1? Top receiver Zay Jones or Robert Foster? An offensive line that was almost entirely replaced the next offseason? Over the hill running backs? It is a miracle he didn’t bust with the sorry bunch they put out there on offense in 2018. I will not credit the coaches for Allen turning chicken **** into chicken salad.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:26 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was with until the second paragraph.  Of course the situation matters.  JP Losman sat for a year and started for a team coming off a 9-7 season.  The Jags built a powerhouse defense (kinda like Buffalo) and Bortles wasn’t asked to carry the team.  Leaf was popping crazy pills.  

again, he might not be good enough.  But the Cards and Fins did everything in their power to make sure he won’t be.  I’m a big fan of Louis Riddick and he is all about these teams not giving him a real shot.  More young qbs are ruined than made.  

amazingly enough, Buffalo has done a fairly good job developing a quarterback for once. 

I just re-read this...

While certainly Buffalo didn't present Josh Allen with the complete and total CF that Josh Rosen has had to contend with on two teams, MAN!  Overall I do NOT think we did a particularly good job.  No vet mentor, OL that could neither support a run game nor protect the QB, poor WR corps, complicated offense with constantly changing personnel....

Which actually makes it a bit scary that relative to some other team situations young QBs have faced recently, you're right!

On 2/6/2020 at 9:43 AM, whatdrought said:

Okay pal. 

Thanks, glad you're seeing it now.

I didn't see your more recent comments before I posted that, and they are far more reasonable.

It's certainly possible he isn't good enough, but how much of that comes from being treated badly. How you're treated absolutely does have an effect on how you play. Not the only effect and not a conclusive effect, but it absolutely hurt his development. Guy doesn't know what kind of offense he'll be in when/if he finally gets his chance with a group that believes in him. You should know that by this time in your career. It's also certainly possible that given a good environment he might have been good enough by now, and that if he's given the right environment soon, it could still happen. It's simply not clear what'll happen.

I liked Rosen better than Allen but thought all of the top four had a very reasonable shot at being successful. I've never used the wrong/right label, thought it was ridiculous from minute one.