Better Call Saul: Season 5 Trailer - 23 Feb

/dev/null

On 4/18/2020 at 1:14 AM, Success said:

In a universe (starting w/ BB) where almost every character has been either morally compromised or genuinely bad, Lalo may be the baddest & most menacing.  Tony Dalton is fantastic.

And Rhea S. should definitely get an Emmy.

I read an article where they spoke to Dalton about the role, the asked him about how the character always seems to be 'Happy-Go-Lucky' and he said that typically, tguys like the character Lalo in real life cartels know that they are in a position where they will eventually get killed, so they just enjoy everything and thats how he looks at the character and how he plays it. They are evil and ruthless, but also carefree and enjoy life while they can basically.

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I imagine it will be satisfying, whether it's good or bad. Gilligan has shown that he likes solid resolutions. Has anything in BB/BCS/EC ever really been left open to the viewers' imagination?

I kinda wonder what happened to Skinny Pete after the cops picked him up.

BTW, I thought it was kinda odd the trailer scene for El Camino does not actually appear in El Camino

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

I kinda wonder what happened to Skinny Pete after the cops picked him up.

BTW, I thought it was kinda odd the trailer scene for El Camino does not actually appear in El Camino

I was surprised too that the trailer scene was not used, but it just added up to another scene. We saw it, it is still part of the story, and that's why VG and Co. Are great!

So that episode was basically a full set up for the final season

Jimmy and Kim are going to try and take down Hamlin and get Jimmy his money from the Seniors home Settlement. Lalo is now set on getting revenge on everyone while it's believed he was killed in the attack on his home.

Just hope we don't have to wait 2 years for the ending.......

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Just hope we don't have to wait 2 years for the ending.......

The episode is bugging me for that very reason.

But I'm glad I re-watched the first season this week.  I don't think I would have remembered the details of Sandpiper at this point.

Gilligan and Co. delivered one helluva season finale, just as I suspected they would. Love the fact that the last season will be 13 episodes in length vs. the usual 10. I have every confidence Gilligan and Co. will use that extra space to tell the perfect story. 

It’s funny how these actors are all 10 plus years older than when they started BB and yet their characters are all several years younger in BCS. They all look so much older in BCS than they did in BB. And yet, they pull it off without a hitch. Just great combo of writing and acting talent all around. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was thinking about this after last night, but I wonder if they are going to throw in a bit of a twist/shock with Kim and her future next season.

Right now most people think she disappears or is killed because of Jimmy and the Cartel, but what if something happens because of Hamlin?

She came up with this plan to destroy him right now to get the sandpiper money, what if he finally snaps because of what Jimmy and now her have done to him, or while they try to go this route he finds something and uses it against her?

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

It’s funny how these actors are all 10 plus years older than when they started BB and yet their characters are all several years younger in BCS. They all look so much older in BCS than they did in BB. And yet, they pull it off without a hitch. Just great combo of writing and acting talent all around. 

I noticed that with the Don.  Dude just looked much older than I remember from Breaking Bad.  But then again, I remember that actor from Scarface (along with Hector Salamanca) and some cheesy 80s cop show I saw in reruns with a much younger Mike

So is lalo dead in breaking bad or not? There is only reference to him in all of bb.

Also, lalo may go after everyone for the attempt on his life, all of Gus’s men are alive in bb.  I think lalo kills nachos father and nacho kills him and runs away for good. 

8 minutes ago, meazza said:

So is lalo dead in breaking bad or not? There is only reference to him in all of bb.

Lalo appears to have survived into the Breaking Bad timeline....

Breaking Bad: Season 2, Episode 8

Saul: It wasn't me, it was Ignacio.  He's the one.  <some Spanish>

Walt/Jesse: Shut up

Saul: Lalo didn't send you?

33 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Yes but who knows if Saul is actually aware? If he was still alive, why would he not round up the cousins and go after his enemies?

Fantastic season.  

9 hours ago, /dev/null said:

What's interesting about BCS compared to BB is there's more dark humor in BB when you'd expect the opposite.  Obenkirk, Seehorn, and Dalton all deserve award recognition as they were fantastic especially in the last four episodes.  I feel like this is the best show on tv that hardly anybody's talking about.  Damn Tiger King.

• Like (+1) 1

Anybody else notice how the final season of Homeland just morphed into “Better Kill Saul”?

Havent caught up with this thread recently. Will read up next to see if this has been answered already. 

Man, the Salamanca family is bad azz. 

17 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Anybody else notice how the final season of Homeland just morphed into “Better Kill Saul”?

Havent caught up with this thread recently. Will read up next to see if this has been answered already. 

Man, the Salamanca family is bad azz. 

I’m behind on homeland but I’ll look out for that.

5 minutes ago, meazza said:

I’m behind on homeland but I’ll look out for that.

Didn’t want to ruin it for anybody, but with both series winding up (Homeland permanently), I found its penultimate episode a bit ironic in this context. I’m enjoying both series immensely. Great writing, acting, and entertaining drama. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, /dev/null said:

I could see Saul never actually encountering Lalo again between this last episode and that moment in Breaking Bad.  It's probably tough to keep him completely isolated from whatever Lalo is going to do next, but I think Fring and Mike are capable of that much.

5 hours ago, Nanker said:

Didn’t want to ruin it for anybody, but with both series winding up (Homeland permanently), I found its penultimate episode a bit ironic in this context. I’m enjoying both series immensely. Great writing, acting, and entertaining drama. 

I liked Homeland but stopped watching as it became too outlandish in season 6.  I think I'll give season 7 and 8 a whirl now since I've heard from a few people it's gotten pretty good again.

41 minutes ago, shrader said:

I could see Saul never actually encountering Lalo again between this last episode and that moment in Breaking Bad.  It's probably tough to keep him completely isolated from whatever Lalo is going to do next, but I think Fring and Mike are capable of that much.

Everything they set up in the finale leading up to next season suggests  they'll meet again as Saul/Kim assume Lalo's assassination went as planned.  They just murdered his family so he'll be out for blood.  Should be fun.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I liked Homeland but stopped watching as it became too outlandish in season 6.  I think I'll give season 7 and 8 a whirl now since I've heard from a few people it's gotten pretty good again.

Everything they set up in the finale leading up to next season suggests  they'll meet again as Saul/Kim assume Lalo's assassination went as planned.  They just murdered his family so he'll be out for blood.  Should be fun.

Yes, season six had a pretty trashy storyline  IMHO. Seven picked up the pace pretty well, but a lot of logical leaps take place. Season 8 is a nail biter all the way through, and some great acting and high drama make it a very very good tale. Carey finds herself in an unimaginable dilemma. 

?

• Like (+1) 1

Just watched the finale. It was an excellent end to an excellent season. Rhea Seehorn deserves an Emmy. Kim Wexler is such a well written and well acted character. I never expected “slippin” Kimmy to break bad before Jimmy. And the callback to the season 4 finale (double finger guns) was great. 

Kim’s gonna end up in jail as a result of her scheme, I believe. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Just watched the finale. It was an excellent end to an excellent season. Rhea Seehorn deserves an Emmy. Kim Wexler is such a well written and well acted character. I never expected “slippin” Kimmy to break bad before Jimmy. And the callback to the season 4 finale (double finger guns) was great. 

They had a nice little call back to the start of season 2 in the last couple episodes too.  The very first time Jimmy and Kim ran a scheme together, they tricked a stock broker into paying for an entire bottle full of $50 tequila shots.  They kept the cork from that bottle, it was a weird looking thing with a tassel on it.  That was the last thing Kim went back to her office to grab after she quit.

It totally flew over my head until I started season 2 last night.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

You might enjoy these insights into Kim’s character and Rhea Seahorn’s performance. 

Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn’t seen season 5.

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

They had a nice little call back to the start of season 2 in the last couple episodes too.  The very first time Jimmy and Kim ran a scheme together, they tricked a stock broker into paying for an entire bottle full of $50 tequila shots.  They kept the cork from that bottle, it was a weird looking thing with a tassel on it.  That was the last thing Kim went back to her office to grab after she quit.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c755cc8ffd779b0ed45e4de82c2be2b.jpeg
Holy crap! I just realized that the Zafiro Anejo is the same kind of tequila that Fring poisoned don Eladio with in BB. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, K-9 said:

You might enjoy these insights into Kim’s character and Rhea Seahorn’s performance. 

Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn’t seen season 5.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c755cc8ffd779b0ed45e4de82c2be2b.jpeg
Holy crap! I just realized that the Zafiro Anejo is the same kind of tequila that Fring poisoned don Eladio with in BB. 

Thanks. Yeah. I'm aware of The Ringer's intense love of Rhea Seehorn, and I echo them. She's fantastic, and vastly under-appreciated. Actually, the show itself is vastly under-appreciated. It's masterful stuff.

That connection about the Tequila brand is wild. Another little callback was Dan Eladio saying "Selud" while sitting in the exact spot in which Fring kills him in the Breaking Bad episode titled..."Selud". 

The writers drop in so many easter eggs and callbacks, it's astounding. Really impressive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Thank you!  I could not figure out what that was.

That show (and BB) don't do anything by accident.  I heard an interview w/ Odenkirk where he speculated that fans might be thinking a lot less about his character breaking bad, and much more about who the heck Kim Wexler is.

I think Saul started slow. I thought the 1st few seasons were great, but a much more methodical and with less fulfilling set of arcs than BB.  Now, it is easily just as good, and may even surpass.  Kim & Lalo are 2 of the most compelling characters I've seen in that universe.

And it's great to see that "star is born" thing w/ both Rhea S. and Tony D.  Both have been working for a long time, and now they will likely be in high demand (if people get back to filming stuff again at some point, that is....)

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I had forgotten about until I started rewatching from the start. Kim is from Kansas City and would have random Royal items scattered around. She’s definitely strolling into that Cinabun in the last season.

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

One thing I had forgotten about until I started rewatching from the start. Kim is from Kansas City and would have random Royal items scattered around. She’s definitely strolling into that Cinabun in the last season.

I thought about it before that maybe it's why he went there as Gene, to be with her or to find her