The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Dr. Offit: Prepare to wear masks and socially distance even after getting COVID-19 vaccine

Dr. Paul Offit is a pediatrician at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia who co-invented the rotavirus vaccine (and apparently a public policy influencer and lunatic deranged with TDS)

MarketWatch: So, post-vaccination, are we still going to be wearing masks?

Offit: Yes — for a couple of years and doing the best we can to social distance. We can go back to school, as long as we do the kinds of things they’ve done in Denmark and other countries that have been able to do this successfully. We just don’t have that kind of federal leadership, sadly. People now see vaccines as a magic dust that’s about to be sprinkled over this country and make this all go away. It doesn’t work that way.

https://on.mktw.net/2ZKcSQo

No moron.  We need people like you to go away.  

Edited by Big Blitz

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Dr. Offit: Prepare to wear masks and socially distance even after getting COVID-19 vaccine

I TOLD YOUS!  These wonderful humans love their masks.  This just goes into the crazytalk bin, but just wait after a full winter of this crap.  Guys like @Tiberius will be loving the mask, by his calculations he'll be able to live forever.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Huh? 

Your side's politicization of this virus to take down the president is going to leave us with lots of souvenirs for years to come.  Of course you'll justify it after the fact as science or something.

I honestly don't care who is president, I sleep tight either way.  Your life is seems to be hanging in the balance, judging by the constant drivel I read.

Edited by BeerLeagueHockey
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

NYC complied with a lockdown after it was already screwed, back when you couldn't even buy masks, and before we had agreed-upon effective treatments (back then, they were still putting patients on their backs and thought ventilators were a good idea...and were just throwing random drugs at people and praying). There is also not one single city in America like NYC. It's different in density and lifestyle from every city in America. The lesson for how to treat a pandemic in NYC in April is not the lesson for how you treat a pandemic in Atlanta in July.  

We should look at the death toll, survival and hospitalization rates, and other Covid statistics after mid-May to predict how Covid will impact places not yet impacted. 

As to why you don't know anyone who died from it and all that, I can't speak to your experience and where you live. 200,000 deaths, mostly elderly, is not some small number but spread across 330,000,000 Americans, it's not large either. My wife works with older people and she knows many. Depends on the populations you know and work with. 

Why did NJ have worse stats than NYC?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Your side's politicization of this virus to take down the president is going to leave us with lots of souvenirs for years to come.  Of course you'll justify it after the fact as science or something.

I honestly don't care who is president, I sleep tight either way.  Your life is seems to be hanging in the balance, judging by the constant drivel I read.

Well said! And the odd part is that this is all being done to get to universal healthcare? Really? Sheeesh!

Texas opening almost all businesses to 75% capacity except for 3 regions of state

Texas is allowing most of the state’s businesses, including restaurants, retail stores, gyms and office buildings currently open at 50% capacity to open to 75% capacity beginning Monday.

Three regions excluded from this 75% capacity measure include the Rio Grande Valley, Laredo, and Victoria, according to Gov. Greg Abbott.

In those excluded areas, COVID-19 hospitalizations remain higher than 15% of total hospitalizations.

The 19 regions of the state allowed to open to 75%, including Fort Worth and Dallas, can also immediately resume elective medical procedures, and nursing homes and other types of assisted living centers that don’t have coronavirus outbreaks will be allowed to reopen for visitation under certain guidelines next week.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article245807020.html?utm_source=pushly&intcid=pushly_667545

Wow.  Using data and following protocol you set back in early April.  What a concept!

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, GG said:

Why did NJ have worse stats than NYC?

NYC has 23K deaths for 8.4M people...NJ has 16K deaths for 8.9M people. 

Back in April, the NY Metro Covid footprint was pretty much one blob that extended from northern NJ to CT and the whole zone was awful. Here in September, it's almost already hard to remember how bad things were on transmission and deaths back then.

I watched NJ hard for a personal reason and almost nothing was happening in NJ except in the northern counties, which were getting blasted. 

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

NYC has 23K deaths for 8.4M people...NJ has 16K deaths for 8.9M people. 

Back in April, the NY Metro Covid footprint was pretty much one blob that extended from northern NJ to CT and the whole zone was awful. Here in September, it's almost already hard to remember how bad things were on transmission and deaths back then.

I watched NJ hard for a personal reason and almost nothing was happening in NJ except in the northern counties, which were getting blasted. 

NY has 1.7k deaths/million, while NJ has 1.8k deaths/million.    The commuting NJ counties are nowhere near as dense as NYC.  The most densely populated neighborhoods in NYC weren't the hardest hit, either.  Maybe there were other contributing factors to the carnage?

But we've discussed this before.   

1 hour ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

It’s working, you are losing. Ha ha, sucks to be you