The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

7 hours ago, B-Man said:

Yes, downplaying the virus was bad, wasn't it?

They’re rewriting history...

A lot of people can hit Trump for downplaying this.

Our national media are not those people. CNN, Vox, NY Times, Buzzfeed, Wash Post all did the same.

ADDED: Oh and Note how the Woodward tape talks about Trump learning in January,

But Billztime tries to cover his November lie......................typical.

Didn’t know they got classified security briefings.  It was obvious to me Trump downplayed/lied about the severity of the virus after those senators dumped all those financial stocks in late January after they were briefed.  All this tape did was confirm it.  

Why Trump was still talking to Woodward after that  unflattering book is the only surprising part.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Didn’t know they got classified security briefings.  It was obvious to me Trump downplayed/lied about the severity of the virus after those senators dumped all those financial stocks in late January after they were briefed.  All this tape did was confirm it.  

Why Trump was still talking to Woodward after that  unflattering book is the only surprising part.

Trump must talk about Trump. It’s an illness.

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so where is the data on the summer's "peaceful protests"???.....must all be wearing masks and social distancing......or how about the NYC AMA exemption??.............NEVER (COUGH) did I imagine that Sturgis Covid-19 "data" would be rushed to "market" from GOP Gov. Kristi's state....probably should ask Brian "I Was There" Williams.......

Numbers I saw was 250k went to Sturgis.  1 Covid (60 yo smoker with 3 other comorbidity) death and 300 cases. Not a bad week IMHO

That #HeKnew it was more deadly and contagious is not as newsworthy as that #HeKnew it was more deadly and contagious and did nothing except downplay it until it was far too late ( and even then continued to downplay it).  

We can't know how different NYC would have been if it had proper PPE and a ready population prepared in a united response, but they could have seen something more akin to the fatality rate we're seeing today. 

I don't fully fault Trump for this but he is POTUS and he says he knew it was 5x more fatal than the flu and more contagious.  

(Did Tucker really shoot Lindsay Graham and Bob Woodward over this? WTF happened to that guy? He used to be a pretty solid minded commentator.) 

3 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

So if he had come out and said that by September this virus would be twice as deadly as influenza would that have mattered to a nation that mostly can't be bothered with getting a flu shot?

This is insane TDS driven Monday morning quarterbacking. Anyone playing into it should be ashamed.

Sorry--this topic is in two places so I am pulling my response here. 

You don't choose your leadership stances based on "people won't listen." You choose them based on, I hope, "This is important and I--as your sworn leader with a duty to protect you--need to convince you to listen."  

Leaders lead. They don't shrug. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

That #HeKnew it was more deadly and contagious is not as newsworthy as that #HeKnew it was more deadly and contagious and did nothing except downplay it until it was far too late ( and even then continued to downplay it).  

We can't know how different NYC would have been if it had proper PPE and a ready population prepared in a united response, but they could have seen something more akin to the fatality rate we're seeing today. 

I don't fully fault Trump for this but he is POTUS and he says he knew it was 5x more fatal than the flu and more contagious.  

Oh brother! I can’t wait until you’re President one day and are faced with the information he’s briefed on every day. The country will be in a constant state of outright, nonstop  panic. Trump did exactly what the President should do. He remained calm in public while working behind the scenes to put things in place to support our response to a pandemic.  Remember, his scientists are telling him every day in closed session that they have no cure! 

May I ask what Congressional Democrats we’re doing at that same time? Oh yeah, they were playing political games stalling a phony impeachment hearing and tearing up the State of the Union Address before going home to hide in their basements. Then they left the President alone in Washington to clean up the mess. Shameful! 

16 minutes ago, shoshin said:

(Did Tucker really shoot Lindsay Graham and Bob Woodward over this? WTF happened to that guy? He used to be a pretty solid minded commentator.) 

Sorry--this topic is in two places so I am pulling my response here. 

You don't choose your leadership stances based on "people won't listen." You choose them based on, I hope, "This is important and I--as your sworn leader with a duty to protect you--need to convince you to listen."  

Nonsense. You had people at the time, experts in the field, predicting millions of deaths. By your standard every President should lead and warn Americans about the 600k that will die from heart disease, which is preventable and reversible, each and every year. 600k every year like clockwork. Yet with a novel virus that nobody knew just how virulent it would be, he should handwave and give dire warnings?  Nobody. Knew. This is TDS.

Edited by BillsFanNC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Nonsense. You had people at the time, experts in the field, predicting millions of deaths. By your standard every President should lead and warn Americans about the 600k that will die from heart disease, which is preventable and reversible, each and every year. 600k every year like clockwork. Yet with a novel virus that nobody knew just how virulent it would be, he should handwave and give dire warnings?  Nobody. Knew. This is TDS.

More importantly, unlike heart disease or smoking....WE HAVE NO CURE for this virus. So these ‘leadership experts’ want the President to do what exactly?

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

More importantly, unlike heart disease or smoking....WE HAVE NO CURE for this virus. So these ‘leadership experts’ want the President to do what exactly?

Be a fortune teller and warn the country that this virus is going to kill Americans around 2x the rate of a normal flu season. As if he wouldn't have been excoriated for making such a statement. 

Btw, If we have a flu season where the predominant circulating strains are resistant to nueramindase inhibitors such as Tamiflu, we could easily see 200k+ deaths. They find these strains pop up every season during surveillance, if one becomes predominant we are in for a world of hurt.

9 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Those gyms that were opened in gov't buildings were for gov't employees only. As far as lines go, the longer the better. 

I abhor lines.  I have a friend who always says “we have to go to this restaurant.  It had to be good. There is always a line.”  No thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

1 - Get going on PPE distribution AND production. 

2 - Prepare people to social distance. 

3 - Signal to hospitals that they need to start paying a lot of attention to this and get treatments ready. 

4 - Start Warp Speed. 

5 - Stop holding giant Trump pep rallies when he already knew about how the virus was air transmissible and 5x deadly. 

Off the top of my head. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanNC said:

And he was wrong. Just like everyone else. 

His actions were wrong...his knowledge as you can see from the tape was not.

HE KNEW and wait for it: He's the president. 

Edited by shoshin

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh brother! I can’t wait until you’re President one day and are faced with the information he’s briefed on every day. The country will be in a constant state of outright, nonstop  panic. Trump did exactly what the President should do. He remained calm in public while working behind the scenes to put things in place to support our response to a pandemic.  Remember, his scientists are telling him every day in closed session that they have no cure! 

May I ask what Congressional Democrats we’re doing at that same time? Oh yeah, they were playing political games stalling a phony impeachment hearing and tearing up the State of the Union Address before going home to hide in their basements. Then they left the President alone in Washington to clean up the mess. Shameful! 

See above the things he could have been doing. And that's the short list from just some guy.

Sure the Democrats were doing other things--Do you have them on record as saying they knew and did nothing? If yes, hold them accountable too. 

But we have got the president of the USA on record saying this virus is 5x more deadly than the flu (and believing it was killing young people too BTW), air transmissible ... and holding rallies. 

Edited by shoshin