The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Just now, SectionC3 said:

It’s a good way to go through life.  Ignore the opinions with which you disagree. 

I decided to read this response.

Way to miss the point.  I'd like to talk about the virus, not about trump or whoever's response.

So ***** you and your worthless opinion.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, meazza said:

Way to miss the point.  I'd like to talk about the virus, not about trump or whoever's response.

Wow.  That’s not very nice.  Do you have anger issues?  I hope not. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Wow.  That’s not very nice.  Do you have anger issues?  I hope not. 

Don't mistake my response with anger.  I am very zen but I have very little tolerance for your kind of stupidity.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, meazza said:

? Oh, Canada! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, meazza said:

Don't mistake my response with anger.  I am very zen but I have very little tolerance for your kind of stupidity.

Fake news.  Based on your last response, you’re not very zen.  

More fake news.  I’m not stupid.  

Fake news.  Based on your last response, you’re not very zen.  

More fake news.  I’m not stupid.  

Good luck on your trolling mission.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, meazza said:

Good luck on your trolling mission.  

Hoax.  I’m not a troll. 

Also, a bit of unsolicited advice.  Next time you get so frustrated that you deign to say something nasty to another person, try counting to ten.  It might help to stop you from saying something that you can’t take back.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

That dude(or she or tranny or whatever) told ME of all people to be nice.

He must be new around here.

Nothing like throwing a little hate into the mix before lunchtime, right?

2 hours ago, Reality Check said:
  • A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.
  • Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.
  • Advocates are fighting back, pushing for greater legislation for patient safety.

Sadly, I can tell you that this number is true.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Hey, one never can tell who someone is nowadays, can they?

Good point.  Then I take it you won’t be offended when I advise you that your prior uncouth comments have forced your placement on the “Nasty Woman” list.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Good point.  Then I take it you won’t be offended when I advise you that your prior uncouth comments have forced your placement on the “Nasty Woman” list.  

Whatever floats your boat, buddy.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

After dwelling on it further, if you draw the line at over/under 50 then the over group makes up 47% of positive cases and a whopping 95% of the fatalities. I mean, I know what you said is true, but seeing the actual numbers here is a little shocking.

Hey now, I want to keep everything shut down as I am in that plus 50 group!

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

From what I got out of that thread:

1) If someone at home has it, you are gonna get it.

2)   Schools should be open.

3)  Public transportation it is the great petri dish. If herd immunity is your goal, looks like that will be the way to spread it to people.

Hindsight will be interesting - exactly how close to correct were/are her current conclusions? Will more data tell a different story?  The postmortem on this virus, how it was/is spread, where it came from, how the lock-down helped/hurt, etc will be fascinating.

I have had two good friends contract the virus..one was one of the very first positives in central VA, I actually golfed with him the week before..and we certainly took ZERO precautions we take now...he needed a few days of ICU and was really sick, but no one in his house tested positive after. Fully recovered now

Another friend has a compromised system I guess as she only has one lung, but is in good shape...she was sick , but never where she was prompted to go to the emergency. Both her husband and two twenty something children tested negative after she did as well. 

Anecdotal for sure, just thought would post here.

I agree on the schools and public transport..elevators gunna be a challenge in urban areas.

39 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

. Look at your bench. All angry, rich white entitled nutbags.

Now wait a minute, you claiming Trump is a poor , rational black woman??

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you read through the twitter thread from the Dr. who is an infectious disease researcher/clinician, she isn't saying that kids cannot get the Virus or are not susceptible to getting the virus, what she is saying is that through the studies/papers/opinions from all credible sources are indicating that they aren't showing to be large viral transmitters of the virus.  That's a huge distinction.

Here is what she said: 

Based on 1286 close contacts of 319 #COVID19 cases; household and transport contacts had higher risk of transmission (80% of infections caused by 9% of cases), household attack rate of 11.5%, children were as likely to be infected

This is from a study in Australia:

A new report, cited by the chief medical officer as the federal government advocates the reopening of schools, says children are unlikely to transmit Covid-19 between each other or to adults.

The study by NSW Health’s Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance (NCIRS), released on Sunday, examined transmission of the virus in NSW schools and childcare centres between March and mid-April.

Examining the spread 18 of coronavirus cases (nine students and nine staff) from 15 schools, the report’s preliminary findings were that only one primary school student and one high school student “may have contracted Covid-19 from the initial cases at their schools”.

“No teacher or staff member contracted Covid-19 from any of the initial school cases,” the report added.

The low transmission rate was despite 735 students and 128 staff being “close contacts” of the initial 18 cases.

The study, which will soon be peer reviewed, says the NSW government’s announcement on 23 March to encourage parents to keep their children home from school “may have impacted the results of this investigation”.

“The findings from this detailed investigation are preliminary,” the report said. “However, they do suggest that spread of Covid-19 within NSW schools has been very limited.”

There are more studies that back up this assertion.  Are they definitive?  No.  But it is more evidence that gives this argument more weight.   My suspicions are that we will find out that yes, kids can transmit the virus but not nearly at the rate of adults.

Also, if you look through the studies/papers/opinions and her descriptions (which I have), she isn't saying that the research shows that all people are getting them from confined spaces just that the vast majority of them.

Among 392 household contacts of 105 index #COVID19 cases, overall household attack rate was 16%, the secondary attack rate was highest in spouse (28%), all adults (17%) and was lower in <18 age group (4%).

Yet that there are studies/papers/opinions from credible outlets that heavily suggest that prolonged periods are a primary driver of transmission.

A symptomatic index #COVID19 case, her husband who subsequently acquired infection and their 350 close contacts were followed up, 43 developed symptoms, none tested positive, suggesting close & prolonged exposure is required for transmission.

That's from The Lancet

If you go through that thread she goes on to cite 5 more studies/papers/opinions from credible sources to back that assertion.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

KRUISER’S MORNING BRIEF: Nation’s Political Class Perfectly OK With Your Financial Death. 

“The political elites in this country don’t care, because they won’t have any financial worries. We’re just game pieces that they’re jerking around.”

France Discovers Coronavirus From China Hit Their Country Much Sooner Than Realized.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2