The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

I would ask him to move to the back and let the rest of the people on stage speak unless he was going to act like a grownup. But that’s the Catholic nun education speaking. I prefer Pence and the rest of the team on mike at those. They don’t get petty even when the questions are petty. 

So I assume you think the same of Governor Cuomo, who dominates the microphone every day. Give the Trump hate a rest for a day. And....if you were paying attention, you’d notice that the President did exactly what you requested yesterday, and left the room for awhile so others could speak...but IMMEDIATELY upon his return the ‘journalists’ started right back up with the gossip. 

33 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Maryland has more that twice the infection rate vice Virginia.  Maryland initiated restrictions earlier that Virginia.  Maryland has more restrictions than Virginia.  Why is Trump tweeting about Virginia instead of Maryland?  Politics.  Maryland has a Republican Gov, all the other states you mention have Dems.  Trump is only interested in stirring his base and getting reelected.  Trump cares about Trump first last and always.

It’s because in Virginia, this week, Northam passed a whole buttload of laws in line with the liberal agenda.  It is political but more about trying to get VA conservatives to vote next election.  At least how I see it living in VA

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Q-baby! said:

I don’t know. In my house over my lifetime, when one person gets a cold or flu, not everyone in the house does. Not sure why, but that has been the case. 

Same here. Seems to me there’s an answer waiting to be found somewhere in that fact. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Whatnot78 said:

It’s because in Virginia, this week, Northam passed a whole buttload of laws in line with the liberal agenda.  It is political but more about trying to get VA conservatives to vote next election.  At least how I see it living in VA

Like I said.  Politics.  Trump does what is best for Trump.  If that means embracing some form of rebellion that will lead to more death due to the Corona virus, that is fine and dandy with Trump.  This is the man who said he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose a single voter and that is repeatedly born out here.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So I assume you think the same of Governor Cuomo, who dominates the microphone every day. 

Trump routinely lies and touts unproven treatments.  Can you say the same about Cuomo?

Just now, Scraps said:

Like I said.  Politics.  Trump does what is best for Trump.  If that means embracing some form of rebellion that will lead to more death due to the Corona virus, that is fine and dandy with Trump.  This is the man who said he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose a single voter and that is repeatedly born out here.

Politicians being political.  Go figure.  You see it on both sides constantly.

I just don’t play the more doom and death because of Trump card.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So I assume you think the same of Governor Cuomo, who dominates the microphone every day. Give the Trump hate a rest for a day. And....if you were paying attention, you’d notice that the President did exactly what you requested yesterday, and left the room for awhile so others could speak...but IMMEDIATELY upon his return the ‘journalists’ started right back up with the gossip. 

I did. It was strange but welcome. And short lived! Trump can’t let someone else be center stage. I’m not meaning to get this into a critique, but just saying those conferences are multiple times better when he does step aside. 

Edited by shoshin

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

And Cuomo is doing what is best for Cuomo.  Most of New York State should be coming out of lockdown or have a countdown ready but Cuomo recently said lockdown in place for at least up to May 15 and nothing more.  The sooner the episode passes the sooner Cuomo is out of the spotlight.  One of the few people that loves to hear himself speak more than Trump is Andy Cuomo.

Utah is first in the nation to rescind some restrictions.

Mayor Wilson lifts two aspects of stay-at-home order for Salt Lake County

SALT LAKE COUNTY (KUTV) — Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson is lifting some restrictions on the countywide stay-at-home order effective today. That including getting food from, but not eating at, dine-in establishments and no longer needing to stay home. The change means customers can enter eating establishments, maintain social distance, order food and take it away.

"We have seen enough progress to adjust two minor areas of our order. We can feel comfortable going out again," she said, while stressing the need to stay masked and continue to practice social distancing and hygiene.

"We are easing, but it is not a big step today," Wilson said. She said the county was hopeful more measures could be relaxed soon. She said PPEs and other readiness measures have been addressed as well. ...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Maryland has more that twice the infection rate vice Virginia.  Maryland initiated restrictions earlier that Virginia.  Maryland has more restrictions than Virginia.  Why is Trump tweeting about Virginia instead of Maryland?  Politics.  Maryland has a Republican Gov, all the other states you mention have Dems.  Trump is only interested in stirring his base and getting reelected.  Trump cares about Trump first last and always.

The point of the post went right over your head.   The lede shouldn’t be about these things it should be that Dr Fauci, Dr Birx, the CDC director and head of FEMA all said that we have enough tests for phase 1 and that solely looking at tests as Dr. Fauci put is not the way to go about it.   That is the lede.  Not this other BS

Just now, Whatnot78 said:

Politicians being political.  Go figure.  You see it on both sides constantly.

I just don’t play the more doom and death because of Trump card.

In a time of crisis, I'd prefer leadership.  That simply isn't in Trumps DNA.

Before World War II, Roosevelt correctly surmised that the USA would not be able to avoid the conflict.  Even though the nation was isolationist, he took steps to increase our industrial base, kept allies afloat and increase our military for the inevitable time that we would be in the conflict.  Roosevelt was a leader.  Trump is a the buck stops anywhere but here weasel.

If I sound like I'm on both sides constantly, its because I am a conservative and see through Trump.

I don't necessarily play a doom and death card because of Trump, but the fact is, that if restriction are lifted too early, people will die.  That is a simple fact.  Trump should recognize that and lead his followers to an unpopular reality.  This country needs a robust, testing, contact tracing and isolation policy before the country can reopen.  Trump won't do that and instead tries to throw the governors under the bus.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Before World War II, Roosevelt correctly surmised that the USA would not be able to avoid the conflict.  Even though the nation was isolationist, he took steps to increase our industrial base, kept allies afloat and increase our military for the inevitable time that we would be in the conflict.  Roosevelt was a leader.  Trump is a the buck stops anywhere but here weasel.

If I sound like I'm on both sides constantly, its because I am a conservative and see through Trump.

I don't necessarily play a doom and death card because of Trump, but the fact is, that if restriction are lifted too early, people will die.  That is a simple fact.  Trump should recognize that and lead his followers to an unpopular reality.  This country needs a robust, testing, contact tracing and isolation policy before the country can reopen.  Trump won't do that and instead tries to throw the governors under the bus.

....so with the hindsight ability for a do-over, who would be your current choice effective immediately?...just curious.........

7 minutes ago, Magox said:

The point of the post went right over your head.   The lede shouldn’t be about these things it should be that Dr Fauci, Dr Birx, the CDC director and head of FEMA all said that we have enough tests for phase 1 and that solely looking at tests as Dr. Fauci put is not the way to go about it.   That is the lede.  Not this other BS

Bull!  There is nowhere near enough testing over enough of the population to get a grip on how extensive the infection is.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Fair enough.  Although I disagree with some of your opinions of what Trump is doing, I appreciate the respectful dialog

Bull!  There is nowhere near enough testing over enough of the population to get a grip on how extensive the infection is.

I thought that anyone who wanted a test could get a test and the tests were perfect? 

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so with the hindsight ability for a do-over, who would be your current choice effective immediately?...just curious.........

There are no do-overs.  Fact remains that during a critical month + Trump repeatedly downplayed the virus, praised China, said everything was under control, chiseled down HHS requests for additional funding for PPE and ventilators and low balled funding requests to deal with the virus.

I'm not asking for a do-over because I always knew that Trump was a self serving con man who could not lead. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Hmmm.  Should I take “Scraps” opinion who only posts dim-witted partisan posts all day long or should I trust Dr Fauci, the CDC director and Dr Birx who are some of the most world renowned health experts in the world?

Tough decision

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Magox said:

Hmmm.  Should I take “Scraps” opinion who only posts dim-witted partisan posts all day long or should I trust Dr Fauci, the CDC director and Dr Birx who are some of the most world renowned health experts in the world?

Tough decision

I doubt you have accurately described Fauc's or Birx's opinions.  Everything I've seen shows them as being more circumspect than you describe.  By all means, take Fauci's and Birx's opinions over mine.  Just try to understand what they are really saying. 

16 minutes ago, Scraps said:

You're giving Roosevelt far too much credit but that is a different discussion than the one at present.  

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

You're giving Roosevelt far too much credit but that is a different discussion than the one at present.  

It is a question of leadership leading up to and  in times of crisis.  I certainly understand why a Trumpster would want to avoid it.

30 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

And Cuomo is doing what is best for Cuomo.  Most of New York State should be coming out of lockdown or have a countdown ready but Cuomo recently said lockdown in place for at least up to May 15 and nothing more.  

So what specifically did Cuomo say that you disagree with?

Edited by Scraps