The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

If they rush back to work they either atent going to not have a life to worry about paycheck to paycheck for or they will be sitting in a hospital tent counting the months anyways.  People need to start being more resourceful outside of just waiting for an unemployment check.  It sucks but thats the reality of whats going on.   A lot of jobs wont be there to go back to.

People need to come to grips with what this thing really is and the dangers it presents. Some aren’t living in reality. Respect this thing because it needs to be respected. 

Just now, Justice said:

People need to come to grips with what this thing really is and the dangers it presents. Some aren’t living in reality. Respect this thing because it needs to be respected. 

And some need to understand the reality of an economic collapse. Some aren't living in reality

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

If they reopen too soon there wont be one anyways.  People need to start planning to take care of their own.  

Do you stop driving due to accidents? Do you stop walking do to accidents? Do you stop contact with other humans due to the flu/any other viruses?  Life has inherent risks. There are many people at this point who would take a risk on a virus versus starving to death, going bankrupt, hiding in their homes, etc.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Justice said:

Its low risk right now because people are staying home.   But if the state opens too fast people better get use to hunting and growing vegetables again.  Right now its mildly contained.  It wont be if we rush back because people arent being resourceful.

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

Do you stop driving due to accidents? Do you stop walking do to accidents? Do you stop contact with other humans due to the flu/any other viruses?  Life has inherent risks. There are many people at this point who would take a risk on a virus versus starving to death, going bankrupt, hiding in their homes, etc.

Silly you. Don't you know the other 2.7 million people that die this year and every year don't really matter....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No but I also dont walk into a house on fire or drive straight into another car because I am bored at home.   

Its low risk right now because people are staying home.   But if the state opens too fast people better get use to hunting and growing vegetables again.  Right now its mildly contained.  It wont be if we rush back because people arent being resourceful.

If everyone were independently wealthy and able to stay home, most would support a stay at home order and bubble wrap into  perpetually. That is not, however, reality.

• Like (+1) 2

Exactly. People seem to be mending two conflicting types of strategies together and thinking that’s gonna be the outcome. “Numbers of deaths are down. Less people are getting infected. Time to go back to work”. That’s not how this works. 

Just now, Justice said:

Exactly. People seem to be mending two conflicting types of strategies together and thinking that’s gonna be the outcome. “Numbers of deaths are down. Less people are getting infected. Time to go back to work”. That’s not how this works. 

How do people pay their bills? How do they feed their families? How does that work?

• Like (+1) 1

If everyone were independently wealthy and able to stay home, most would support a stay at home order and bubble wrap into  perpetually. That is not, however, reality.

Understood and the only way to make money is to work at the job you had before this happened?  Thats what I mean about being resourceful.   Life isnt the same as it waa before and people should really start to consider how to move forward if this gets worse because it will if we rush back.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What worries is people get too excited with government opens.. With no social distancing. Acting like a win, should still be a caution with caution with this thing still going on.

• Like (+1) 1

Understood and the only way to make money is to work at the job you had before this happened?  Thats what I mean about being resourceful.   Life isnt the same as it waa before and people should really start to consider how to move forward if this gets worse because it will if we rush back.  

What do you suggest people do for an income?  How can they be resourceful in this day of lock downs and "essential" businesses?

• Like (+1) 1

How do people pay their bills? How do they feed their families? How does that work?

If I had the answers to that I wouldn’t be here typing this stuff with you. It’s difficult. I know. This is where our federal government has to enter the picture and see to it nobody is made homeless or starves. 

How do people pay their bills? How do they feed their families? How does that 

You buy some seeds and grow your food.  You hunt.  You live within your means.  You defer your bills if you have to.  You get food from pantries.  You make things happen 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What do you suggest people do for an income?  How can they be resourceful in this day of lock downs and "essential" businesses?

You look into social programs.  You get unemployment.  You get a job at a grocery store or any other store that is still open.  

1 minute ago, Justice said:

If I had the answers to that I wouldn’t be here typing this stuff with you. It’s difficult. I know. This is where our federal government has to enter the picture and see to it nobody is made homeless or starves. 

There is never a reason to starve.   The problem is a lot of people in this country crumble the second they dont have things the way they want it when they want it.  We are spoiled.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You buy some seeds and grow your food.  You hunt.  You live within your means.  You defer your bills if you have to.  You get food from pantries.  You make things happen 

I see a lot of farming happening in East Newark. You are in a fantasyland. We are not headed to The Stand if we reopen, even if we reopen too soon. But it could be grim, that much is true. 

Just now, Justice said:

Do you even understand how an economy works? Do you think the government can continue to dole out trillions of dollars without this turning into a a complete economic disaster, the likes of which you have never experienced?

The cold hard truth is this: To avoid serious and prolonged consequences, this economy needs to begin opening up soon.

• Thank you (+1) 2