The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

18 minutes ago, Magox said:

Yeah, I am aware that there are accounts of it but when I say untold I mean that it is not a story where nearly enough light is being shed on.

That's just that piece. The medical neglect piece is staggering.

My wife goes back to doing in-home visits in Philly on June 1. She will have one N95 mask, paper masks to wear over the N95, gloves, and hand sanitizer. She will take all the precautions she's trained in but we approach the summer assuming we will be "hot" at some point, which may limit our interactions with some of our many parents and aunt/uncles. Kind of hoping we get it early and get over it so we can feel like we're not spreaders. 

Her team has been told to not expect vacations to be granted this fall/winter as they expect case increases to rise when flu season returns. They're being told to live it up this summer!

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

That's just that piece. The medical neglect piece is staggering.

My wife goes back to doing in-home visits in Philly on June 1. She will have one N95 mask, masks, and hand sanitizer. She will take all the precautions she's trained in but we approach the summer assuming we will be "hot" at some point, which may limit our interactions with some of our many parents and aunt/uncles. Kind of hoping we get it early and get over it so we can feel like we're not spreaders. 

Her team has been told to not expect vacations to be granted this fall/winter as they expect case increases to rise when flu season returns. They're being told to live it up this summer!

What's funny, well it's not funny but I have "friends" on my FB.   And many of them are solidly on the "Stay at home" crowd to the point of social shaming.  So usually every couple days I post some news on my page.  News that isn't the typical top line hysterical inducing stuff you get from the mainstream but more in depth sort of things.  The sort of things that I think are important and that aren't shared enough.

It's amazing to me how many people are not even willing to read anything that could be viewed as positive or the detriments of the shut down orders.   They refuse to read it or even acknowledge it.  I know this because I post it and they reply back within seconds meaning they don't care to read what's inside it.   

For the mainstream media they have conditioned their viewers to negativity surrounding the virus.  They know that their viewers don't want to read or hear about these other effects because it goes against the confirmation bias that they have been fed for the better part of the past 10 weeks.  In short - it's not good business.

Which is why I have been saying for many years now but even more apparent now than ever before, the media is a broken institution. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, PelotonBillsFan said:

Interesting to note 4 of the counties now hardest hit are run by far-right/authoritarian type leaders:  US, UK, Russia and Brazil.  The virus doesn’t care about blaming the media and changing the narrative to hide it.

...and then?

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, GG said:

Anecdotal evidence on deaths of despair is starting to come in now - suicides are trending up.   Spousal & child abuse is up.   Every thinking person predicted this and knows it will continue to get worse until the lockdowns end.

And it'll get worse with the onset of the second great depression.

All part of the plan

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, PelotonBillsFan said:

Interesting to note 4 of the counties now hardest hit are run by far-right/authoritarian type leaders:  US, UK, Russia and Brazil.  The virus doesn’t care about blaming the media and changing the narrative to hide it.

Back at home, it seems the Democratic Governors have been far more authoritarian than not. 

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Back at home, it seems the Democratic Governors have been far more authoritarian than not. 

It's part of the leftist mind, one of central control.  The root differences in political ideologies are on full display.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PelotonBillsFan said:

Yup.  Everyone can be fooled some of the time, and some people can be fooled all of the time (looking at you, Trumpers).  But the virus can' the fooled at all. 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

(CBS News reports: “President Trump’s handling of the outbreak continue to drop from March and are now the lowest he has received. Today, 43% say he’s doing a good job, 5 points lower than three weeks ago and 10 points lower than in March.”)

I'm honestly surprised it's that high.  Seems to be settling down to his MAGA base number. 

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yup.  Everyone can be fooled some of the time, and some people can be fooled all of the time (looking at you, Trumpers).  But the virus can' the fooled at all. 

I'm honestly surprised it's that high.  Seems to be settling down to his MAGA base number. 

I wonder if he actually went out for interviews and press conference and just screamed and spit while waving his arms like a lunatic (I know, it seems like he does that now) how low his approval would go. 35%? 

And the arguments the people here would make: You are making fun of his stuttering! He's just misunderstood! You are just not smart enough to understand his great words! ?

6 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

It's part of the leftist mind, one of central control.  The root differences in political ideologies are on full display.

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Pass the stimulus and save the economy, don't pass it and Trump is right there with Herbert Hoover as worst of the worst one term presidents. 

• Like (+1) 1

Spain estimate: 5% have Covid antibodies

Preliminary results from a nationwide coronavirus antibody study showed on Wednesday that about 5% of the overall Spanish population had contracted the novel virus - about 10 times more than the tally of diagnosed cases suggests.

The study, carried out by the Carlos III Health Institute and the National Statistics Institute, began on April 27. It tested some 60,000 people for the presence of antibodies generated to fight off the coronavirus.

Madrid, one of the worst-affected regions, showed a prevalence of 11.3%. Soria and Cuenca, in the central regions of Castilla y Leon and Castilla La Mancha, are the provinces with the highest prevalence, with 14.2% and 13.5% respectively.

Not as high as I would hope but in line with what's estimated here (2-5%) in many places--pretty big sample size. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Fauci's Song and Dance

by Daniel John Sobieski

Original Article

Dr. Anthony Fauci has never been muzzled by President Trump, as the lamestream media often charged, but maybe he should have been and should be still.

Before his tour de farce before the Senate Health Committee, the shy, modest, and unassuming Dr. Fauci emailed a New York Times reporter with a preview of his testimony, an apocalypse now prediction if we don’t hang on to and follow his sage and expert advice: Dr. Anthony Fauci emailed New York Times reporter Sheryl Gay Stolberg Monday night with a preview of his message for a Senate hearing on Tuesday in which he warns of “needless suffering and death” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I wonder if he actually went out for interviews and press conference and just screamed and spit while waving his arms like a lunatic (I know, it seems like he does that now) how low his approval would go. 35%? 

And the arguments the people here would make: You are making fun of his stuttering! He's just misunderstood! You are just not smart enough to understand his great words! ?

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Pass the stimulus and save the economy, don't pass it and Trump is right there with Herbert Hoover as worst of the worst one term presidents. 

He could go out there and speak in tongues and 1/3 of the populace would still support the guy because he's not Hillary Clinton.  It's pathetic. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Fauci's Song and Dance

by Daniel John Sobieski

Original Article

Dr. Anthony Fauci has never been muzzled by President Trump, as the lamestream media often charged, but maybe he should have been and should be still.

Before his tour de farce before the Senate Health Committee, the shy, modest, and unassuming Dr. Fauci emailed a New York Times reporter with a preview of his testimony, an apocalypse now prediction if we don’t hang on to and follow his sage and expert advice: Dr. Anthony Fauci emailed New York Times reporter Sheryl Gay Stolberg Monday night with a preview of his message for a Senate hearing on Tuesday in which he warns of “needless suffering and death” 

I still have video clip of Fauci saying masks are unnecessary and may give a false sense of security. That was his first answer to that question. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

He could go out there and speak in tongues and 1/3 of the populace would still support the guy because he's not Hillary Clinton.  It's pathetic. 

Is that somehow more pathetic than the hysterics 1/3 of the populace has been in for nearly four years now?   

Or the fact that the proposed alternative is a guy with early stage dementia?

• Haha (+1) 4