the, "am i a bad person" thread

teef

On 1/27/2020 at 3:45 PM, /dev/null said:

Depends if you or someone close to you ever had Cancer.

If not, then you're not a bad person.  Just kind of an a**hole

If you have witnessed what Cancer does to someone, you would never wish it on anyone

False.

My mother died of cancer in 1999.  I'd wish it upon Harvey Weinstein... But he can't get ovarian cancer, which is too bad.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:34 AM, teef said:

this thread is to discuss whether we are bad people or not.  

for instance...at our gym there's a guy in a wheelchair.  i avoid him like the plague.  if i even see him rolling into my area, i pack up shop and run like a little B word.  he's a very nice guy, but he's way over chatty.  on top of that, you always need to help him...hand him weights, spot him, move him to a bench, etc.  i just don't want to deal with in.  i want to go in, not talk, and get right out.  the other day he asked the help of an older guy who really wasn't in physical shape to help him, and it was a mess.  i saw them try to make a transfer, and sure enough they both ended up on the ground.  i figured that now i had to help, but once a younger kid ran over to get them up, i knew i was in the clear and ran away.  

am i a bad person?

Interesting... how disabled is he? Honestly I usually find that the physically disabled very much prefer to do almost everything on their own and when there are tasks they need help with, they don't keep going back to it unless necessary or at least have a plan of attack.

How about this, I went to a manager in a movie theater because the woman next to me brought her 3 kids to a PG movie (Jumanji 2) and her 3 year old just wouldn't shut up and she wouldn't take her out! Manager came and kicked them out...

am I a bad person?

On 1/21/2020 at 5:56 AM, Steve O said:

Does not make you a bad person at all. If anything, he's being incredibly presumptuous to think helping him is not an inconvenience to others. As Poojer said, he should bring someone with him, either that or hire a personal trainer. There's a guy in a wheelchair at my gym, asked him a couple times if he needed a hand but he keeps saying he's fine so I stopped offering. 

My bad person thing...have a friend that's 15 years younger than me. His brother was my best friend growing up (died 17 years ago.) Lives down the street from my mother...my 100 year old mother. My mother's probably in better shape than him. Help him put on/take off his compression socks. Take his garbage out. Whatever else he needs around the house. Draw the line at shopping. I hate shopping. He seems to think that if I'm going to Wegman's or BJ's anyways, it isn't an inconvenience for me to shop for him. I already shop for Mom and me, and have to fill in for her aides whenever one is sick or late or whatever (still lives in my childhood home, 24/7 care required.) He has 3 sisters living in town, says they don't mind shopping for him but he hates to inconvenience them. Doesn't seem to have a problem inconveniencing me though. At any rate, now whenever he asks I tell him not sure when I'm shopping again. Am I a bad person for not doing more? Probably. But I really hate shopping.

No. You're not a bad person. 

You're too good.

You don't seem to belong here.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/21/2020 at 6:56 AM, Gugny said:

My neighbor and I are close friends.  We were coworkers/friends for a decade before becoming neighbors.  She's the kind of person who will always help someone out with a smile.

We got some snow the other day.  I cleared my driveway and went back inside.  Looking out the living room window, I noticed her driveway had not been cleared; just a small shoveled path that made it appear that someone had begun to shovel, but gave up.

I could have gone over and snow blown her driveway.  But her husband's truck was in the driveway. 

If he's home, he should be snowblowing, right???  He's a county corrections officer who works nights.  The thing is, the snow stopped overnight.  So it was ready to be taken care of as soon as he got home.

He couldn't take the 30 minutes to clear that out for his wife before he went to bed??

For that reason, I did not clear their driveway.

Am I a bad person???

No.

Husband probably would've been pi$$ed at you if you did... in part because his wife would've given him extra $#it because you did it, not him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/30/2020 at 3:34 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

False.

My mother died of cancer in 1999.  I'd wish it upon Harvey Weinstein... But he can't get ovarian cancer, which is too bad.

As per usual you are wrong once again.  I wish Harvey Weinstein a long miserable life, exceeded only by the length of his prison sentence

6 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

As per usual you are wrong once again.  I wish Harvey Weinstein a long miserable life, exceeded only by the length of his prison sentence

Opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one.

You can pay.  I will save my $$$$ for more worthy causes like solving, curing cancer.

Ain't no disrespect towards our loved one's saying what I said... It doesn't lessen their journey one bit. What soley is theirs, is theirs...

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Interesting... how disabled is he? Honestly I usually find that the physically disabled very much prefer to do almost everything on their own and when there are tasks they need help with, they don't keep going back to it unless necessary or at least have a plan of attack.

How about this, I went to a manager in a movie theater because the woman next to me brought her 3 kids to a PG movie (Jumanji 2) and her 3 year old just wouldn't shut up and she wouldn't take her out! Manager came and kicked them out...

am I a bad person?

he's completely disabled from the waist down.  he seems like a guy that would want to do everything himself, but just can't.  he uses lots of dumbbells and likes to be on the benches, so he needs to be put there.  he's not small either.  

i don't blame you about the movie.  when kids act like that you just have to remove them.  i have small kids, and sometimes our 20 month old so decides he wants to be loud in a restaurant.  i freak out and am ready to carry him out at the first peep, but my wife calms me down, and he ends up being good.  as a parent, i don't think anyone should have to listen to my kids make noise other than me.  if they can't deal, (or i can't deal) they're out.

• Like (+1) 1

I may have committed an illegal driving manouevre and am willing to submit myself to the judgement of the court of 2BD. 

I pulled up to a 4 way stop in a residential area near my workplace and signalled left. I was the first vehicle at the intersection. After i came to a complete stop, a school bus pulled up at the stop sign to my left with the front extension coming out and the side stop sign being extended. Seeing that this might hold me up I changed my signal to go right and did so as I had the right of way in the intersection. As I turned right and drove away in the opposite direction of the school bus I was greeted with obscene gestures and threats from on coming drivers as though I had steamrolled their own children. 

While I am Canadian, I am not a complete numbskull and am aware that driving rules rightly prohibit and penalize the passing of a schoolbus from in front or behind while its lights are flashing and its side stop sign extended. 

As I was to the right of said schoolbus and turned right away from said schoolbus in the intersection I did not perceive myself to be in violation of the DO NOT PASS rule. No children were attempting to cross the intersection I turned right on and there were no casualties or injuries (other than those to my self esteem at being labelled a child endangerer).

I would like to know if I have done wrong.

26 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I may have committed an illegal driving manouevre and am willing to submit myself to the judgement of the court of 2BD. 

I pulled up to a 4 way stop in a residential area near my workplace and signalled left. I was the first vehicle at the intersection. After i came to a complete stop, a school bus pulled up at the stop sign to my left with the front extension coming out and the side stop sign being extended. Seeing that this might hold me up I changed my signal to go right and did so as I had the right of way in the intersection. As I turned right and drove away in the opposite direction of the school bus I was greeted with obscene gestures and threats from on coming drivers as though I had steamrolled their own children. 

While I am Canadian, I am not a complete numbskull and am aware that driving rules rightly prohibit and penalize the passing of a schoolbus from in front or behind while its lights are flashing and its side stop sign extended. 

As I was to the right of said schoolbus and turned right away from said schoolbus in the intersection I did not perceive myself to be in violation of the DO NOT PASS rule. No children were attempting to cross the intersection I turned right on and there were no casualties or injuries (other than those to my self esteem at being labelled a child endangerer).

According to the NY DMV Manual, 

“When a stopped school bus flashes its red light(s), traffic that approaches from either direc­tion, even in front of the school and in school parking lots, must stop before it reaches the bus. You should stop at least 20 feet (6 m) away from the bus. You can identify this bus by a “SCHOOL BUS” sign, the red lights on the top and its unique yellow-orange color.”

The only concern I might have with your maneuver is the 20 feet (6 m) distance from the bus.  Were you closer than that when you turned away?  Otherwise, I can’t see that you were wrong, but I’m no expert so don’t trust my opinion.

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

According to the NY DMV Manual, 

“When a stopped school bus flashes its red light(s), traffic that approaches from either direc­tion, even in front of the school and in school parking lots, must stop before it reaches the bus. You should stop at least 20 feet (6 m) away from the bus. You can identify this bus by a “SCHOOL BUS” sign, the red lights on the top and its unique yellow-orange color.”

The only concern I might have with your maneuver is the 20 feet (6 m) distance from the bus.  Were you closer than that when you turned away?  Otherwise, I can’t see that you were wrong, but I’m no expert so don’t trust my opinion.

I was probably closer but as I was to the right of the bus, in the intersection before the bus,driving in a direction opposite the bus and not approaching from in front or behind I did not perceive that the rule applied. I am in Canada but suspect the rules for such a similar if not identical.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Probably best to sit still and wait. Everyone is so reactionary now that you can’t do right even when you clearly weren’t endangering anyone.

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Probably best to sit still and wait. Everyone is so reactionary now that you can’t do right even when you clearly weren’t endangering anyone.

certainly what I will do next time. Being labelled a child endanger is nasty business

On 1/31/2020 at 8:32 AM, teef said:

i don't blame you about the movie.  when kids act like that you just have to remove them.  i have small kids, and sometimes our 20 month old so decides he wants to be loud in a restaurant.  i freak out and am ready to carry him out at the first peep, but my wife calms me down, and he ends up being good.  as a parent, i don't think anyone should have to listen to my kids make noise other than me.  if they can't deal, (or i can't deal) they're out.

I think there is a huge difference between a movie and a restaurant. If you bring a kid to

a movie (especially a PG one), they better not make a peep. Drives me nuts when parents bring infants to movies and they start crying. 

at a restaurant, unless it is a nicer place, I think you get more of a pass. Obviously you want to try to calm a baby or remove a kid throwing a tantrum, but if you’re at Denny’s or Bob Evans or Olive Garden and your kid is crying or fussy or making a bit of a mess, you get a pass, IMO. 

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I think there is a huge difference between a movie and a restaurant. If you bring a kid to

a movie (especially a PG one), they better not make a peep. Drives me nuts when parents bring infants to movies and they start crying. 

at a restaurant, unless it is a nicer place, I think you get more of a pass. Obviously you want to try to calm a baby or remove a kid throwing a tantrum, but if you’re at Denny’s or Bob Evans or Olive Garden and your kid is crying or fussy or making a bit of a mess, you get a pass, IMO. 

I like to let my 3 year old run around unsupervised / unchecked in restaurants so he can dart in front of servers carrying food & drink and can disrupt other people’s meals while my wife and I stare at our phones oblivious to what’s happening. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I like to let my 3 year old run around unsupervised / unchecked in restaurants so he can dart in front of servers carrying food & drink and can disrupt other people’s meals while my wife and I stare at our phones oblivious to what’s happening. 

yeah, I guess that’s the “bad person” line. 

4 hours ago, stuvian said:

Since you were first.  Came to a complete stop signalled... Then the bus stopped... Why didn't you make your left before arms of bus came out... Was the bus still rolling to a stop AND putting signals out.  They shouldn't be doing that.  Why did you heatitate?  Make your turn left... AND the bus driver, seeing your intent, knowing you were first should have delayed signals until you cleared intersection.  Don't open that door till you're gone... Boy... Bus driver was a real Richard Head for still rolling and putting out signals. Why did you wait so long too. You stopped, signalled before bus came to stop. You should have been long gone before bus was ready to unload children.  AND again, bus driver seeing you, should have delayed till you cleared.

You're not bad.  The bus driver is a horrible bus driver.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois