Bills DB coach John Butler reportedly in consideration for position with Browns

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Whats with Cleveland trying to poach everything from front office to coordinator and now positional coaches from us. 

Im really starting to hate them. 

Now we know how the Carolina Panthers must feel.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

At least there is a connection there though 

I'm sure that is of no consolation to Panther fans.  It just shows that someone rarely looks at the 30 other NFL teams for resources, because of the connection.

6 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm sure that is of no consolation to Panther fans.  It just shows that someone rarely looks at the 30 other NFL teams for resources, because of the connection.

Consolation to their fans - who are you referring to that they would need that? The Bills haven’t taken any coaches from them that weren’t fired. Eric Washington was not retained by Matt Rhule. Outside of Heath Farwell who was promoted here,  the Bills have hired no coaches or FO personnel from the panthers since Beane and McDermott got here.  The panthers did however hire Rob Hanrahan from the Bills. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

If Butler wants to stay he will go to Bills and say deny the interview. 

they will talk to him before denying anything. But ultimately it is up to Bills. 

at no point in the NFL have teams not been able to hire and attract coaching talent because they deny lateral moves. 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Consolation to their fans - who are you referring to that they would need that? The Bills haven’t taken any coaches from them that weren’t fired. Eric Washington was not retained by Matt Rhule. Outside of Heath Farwell who was promoted here,  the Bills have hired no coaches or FO personnel from the panthers since Beane and McDermott got here.  The panthers did however hire Rob Hanrahan from the Bills. 

There were pretty pissed about Beane leaving, who was supposed to take over from Dave Gettleman.

Other than that, a number of players, who in hindsight we actually did them a favor such as Benjamin.  Don't think they miss Star, either.

McD likes his Carolina connection, and I'm not the only one who has pointed this out.  It has been mentioned in articles over the past year or so.

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

There were pretty pissed about Beane leaving, who was supposed to take over from Dave Gettleman.

Other than that, a number of players, who in hindsight we actually did them a favor such as Benjamin.  Don't think they miss Star, either.

McD likes his Carolina connection, and I'm not the only one who has pointed this out.  It has been mentioned in articles over the past year or so.

Well they could have easily kept Beane buy making him the GM. They didn’t do it and lost him. That is on Panthers to only fire Gettleman what a couple months after Beane left? 

When you're team gets better, people want your guys. It's that simple... no one is combing the bottom of the league for coaching talent, they always look up.  Right now we're top half of the league overall, an our Defensive staff is STACKED, so people are noticing.

People are getting upset that we may lose a guy... we lost a D-Line coach and got a better one to replace him.  While it stinks not having continuity, I'm not really worried about losing positional coaches on the defensive side.  We have too many talented coaches over there for it to really matter losing just 1.  It's good if you can become a coaching factory, means you're luring in the best and brightest and you're developing them.  Also means you're good for an extended period of time.  

• Like (+1) 1

Various organizations handle the lateral moves to another organization in different ways.   The corporation I was in for 35 years, allowed management to deny a lateral move if they wanted to.......but, could not deny a promotion interview unless you have concrete plans for that individual to be promoted in the near term.  Maybe the Bills coach wants to go...who knows.  Maybe he doesn't.  And, nobody here at this website seems to know the actual rules of engagement on these matters in the NFL. (although many here say its a two level game.....HC and others.  I doubt that myself as DC is a bigger title than DB  coach and would lead to more HC opportunities)

48 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Going back to the Bills hiring Brandon Beane as GM doesn’t really align with what we were originally talking about here. Beane didn’t poach anyone from the FO and neither did McDermott outside of an asst. ST coach who was there only year. 

I still don’t know what the connection is between Wade Phillips and John Butler that was indicated by Fox. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Do you consider a pure lateral move to be a DB coach a dream job??  I think you're making more out of a potential block than there is. 

Daboll interviewed for HC and most coaches would understand if the Bills deny this purely lateral interview.

If Bills denied a position coach the chance to be a coordinator then you might have a good point. 

Quite frankly, I would think less of the FO if they allowed an excellent position coach the opportunity to interview for a pure lateral move.

I think the one hook for Butler to go there laterally with Wade as DC is that he may make it known at age 72 that he might not be long for the job and Butler could be DC in waiting. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the one hook for Butler to go there laterally with Wade as DC is that he may make it known at age 72 that he might not be long for the job and Butler could be DC in waiting. 

Or if Wade's taking a Kubiak type role. Assistant to the DC or some such. Where he just sits in the booth, observes, and communicates what he sees/suggests to the actual DC.

• Like (+1) 1

Cleveland is hiring Joe Woods as DC so assume Butler isn’t headed there since it seemed to be the Wade connection with that one. Dean Pees just retired though as DC in Tennessee and Butler coached with Vrabel for a few years in Houston... so that could be a possible DC opportunity for him