McDermott and Beane End of Season press conferences 1/7

YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He didn’t completely rule it out but sounds like it’s unlikely 

I believe he said something similar at his closing press conference last year.  

10 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Beane grinning like they just won the Super Bowl...

What the hell did you watch?

10 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Finally called it a total rebuild LOL

Yes he did.  And even more bluntly said that he didn't do a very good job in 2018 especially with the OL: that there were some cap limitations but he could have done more (leading to the need for "last year offensively was an overhaul".  Basically, total acknowledgement of responsibility that was refreshing to hear.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I think this directly clashes with the HC mindset on the situation discussed. 

I don't believe it does.  You can rein in (they hope) the trying to do to much through work and better players around Allen.  You can't, however, turn Trent Edwards into a competent NFL QB.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Shaq fits more with the "develop a player and pay him" philosophy.  But Shaq has said he's leaning towards testing free agency.  Hmmmm.

Jordan Phillips has said he'd like to be back, but Beane is saying that "earned the right to go see what his value is".  Kind of sounds as though there may have been some initial discussion where the Bills named a figure and Phillips agent laughed. 

What do you think he wants?

53 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I believe he said something similar at his closing press conference last year.  

What the hell did you watch?

I’m thinking he must have been referring to the stock photo of Beane that was used by one bills live to announce his press conference - he’s smiling in that photo. No smiles today. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Shaq fits more with the "develop a player and pay him" philosophy.  But Shaq has said he's leaning towards testing free agency.  Hmmmm.

Jordan Phillips has said he'd like to be back, but Beane is saying that "earned the right to go see what his value is".  Kind of sounds as though there may have been some initial discussion where the Bills named a figure and Phillips agent laughed. 

What do you think he wants?

I was wondering about this.  Looking at spotrac, my thought is he wants Fletcher Cox money, $17.1M average; at the least Marcel Dareus money, $14M average.  The problem I see is Star is at $10M average and Phillips knows he is much more productive than Star, who is a little overpaid for what he does by probably about $2M/year for a rotational "space eating" DT.

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How about someone helping Sean with decisions on 4th down (punting on 4th and 4, dropping back on. 4th and 27).  

Then he had the nuts to toss Josh below the bus by saying he was trying to do too much.  Bad look, bro...

I honestly don't think McDermott was intending to toss Josh under the bus.  I think he intended to be defending him, and defending him fairly strongly.

10 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I was wondering about this.  Looking at spotrac, my thought is he wants Fletcher Cox money, $17.1M average; at the least Marcel Dareus money, $14M average.  The problem I see is Star is at $10M average and Phillips knows he is much more productive than Star, who is a little overpaid for what he does by probably about $2M/year for a rotational "space eating" DT.

I don't think Phillips is gonna get paid like Fletcher Cox.  But if that's what he wants, Beane is right - he's earned the right to look for it.

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Series of calls they want back. How about teaching Josh what a 2min offense is. Running 40 seconds off the clock at 1:08 was unbelievable?

How about Duke Willams catches a perfectly thrown TD pass? You can criticize Allen for a lot of things; however, when it comes to moving the ball at the end of a half, in the 4th quarter, and at the end of a game, he has been pretty successful this year.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I honestly don't think McDermott was intending to toss Josh under the bus.  I think he intended to be defending him, and defending him fairly strongly.

I don't think Phillips is gonna get paid like Fletcher Cox.  But if that's what he wants, Beane is right - he's earned the right to look for it.

He could have not said that Josh was trying to "do too much".  Put sit on him.  Josh had his struggles, but the coaching in this game was a mess.

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

McD was quite complimentary to Duke actually.  

I would expand and say they didn’t make it clear that they are cleaning house at WR or going to make a huge move.  The press specifically pressed them on questions about WR.  And they downplayed the urgency that was expressed in the question by saying its one of many positions they will look at.  

Clearly WR will be a priority, but I do not think they are going to look at a big free agent signing at WR based on his comments about the position and also the comments on the approach to free agency this year.  So I think it’s going to come down to addressing WR in the first or second round depending how the board falls if I was to predict now.  They may add some lower tier competition is FA, but i didn’t come away thinking they would go after the likely top 3 FA WRs in Cooper, Green, or Anderson this year like some are hoping.

I had the same interpretation.

I thought it was interesting that in his subsequent appearance on One Bills Live radio show, Beane mentioned that he was late because he got a text from Brown saying Brown wanted to talk to him, and that he'd keep the majority of it between them but Brown had indicated that he made the right decision to come to Buffalo and Beane told him to spread the word with any FA he knows.

I would not be surprised, in view of all the talk of bringing in more guys Allen can trust to hand off or throw to, Brown may have wanted to pressure-test Beane hey, what are you thinking about my role going forward? I'm sure Beane told him he's expected to have a huge role, they want additional yards.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I<snip>

I would not be surprised, in view of all the talk of bringing in more guys Allen can trust to hand off or throw to, Brown may have wanted to pressure-test Beane hey, what are you thinking about my role going forward? I'm sure Beane told him he's expected to have a huge role, they want additional yards.

Brown probably wants TD passes added to his incentive clause.?

There's nothing to say they can't find another sensibly priced guy like Brown or Beasley, who can contribute similarly, while also snagging one of the plethora of good WRs supposedly coming out in this draft.

Someone like a Robert Woods, who runs good routes etc. but at about $7million per, for his level of production (last 2 years 1000+ yds) is really good value for money. You need to identify a guy like him, who is after his first decent payday, but isn't an obvious #1, but is showing signs of being able to be around a long time. Woods with the Bills, was getting around 50 catches a season. With the Rams the last two years, he's had 80 and 90.