McDermott and Beane End of Season press conferences 1/7

YoloinOhio

53 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If they traded him it wouldn’t matter. It would basically just be a cheap way to get a earlier comp pick. Nobody is giving more than a 3 or 4 for him when they have to pay him. Which is likely what we’d get if he gets a big deal somewhere else. Depending if they don’t invest much into free agency. 

I hear you, but trading a guy after tagging him can be messy. Especially if other teams would also balk at a $15m price tag for a DT who’s been unproven until this year. Then again, maybe he re-signs for a reasonable deal that Beans finds acceptable. 

One thing I learned/realized about the players McBeane have brought in, there is a least one experienced guy at each position.  This is an excellent way to infuse our younger guys with the leadership/experience/mentoring to build up the team.  Also of note is the older guys are team first guys and lead by example. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

(BTW Sullivan's tweet shows a stunning lack of self-awareness or judgment.  It's one thing to think that to yourself - but to tweet it out?  What an all-time ass.)

His criticizing the food put out for the media at a home game last month tells you the story about Jerry.  He's just an angry human being that has an agenda and will color things in a way to support that.  He's simply not a trustworthy source anymore.

I'm not happy they lost, or over some of the decisions made, but it's over.  The axe he's trying to grind has nothing left to sharpen. 

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

?

My favorite Jerry Sullivan story is from a few months ago. He posted a cropped photo of the Bills press box breakfast station to make it look like there was nothing but a few bagels, and complained that it was disrespectful. Then someone posted a photo of this huge breakfast buffet in the press box that the Bills had put together. The guy has lost his mind since getting fired.

• Haha (+1) 3

so they want to spend a majority of our 90m cap space in keeping our own guys? that's not really something you would want to hear, and a bit worrying 

if this offense doesn't improve past their bottom 5 passing ranking that they have had every single year under McD we aren't winning anything here. 

3 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

so they want to spend a majority of our 90m cap space in keeping our own guys? that's not really something you would want to hear, and a bit worrying 

if this offense doesn't improve past their bottom 5 passing ranking that they have had every single year under McD we aren't winning anything here. 

You build through the draft

Got through Beane's interview. Sounds like Shaq will get a contract offer and Jordan will test the FA market. 

Good interview overall.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

PS - For the reasons you state above, I don't think the Bills will target him. That doesn't seem to be their way, for better or worse.

Interesting, I feel the exact opposite. We have signed a bunch of free agents off injuries. Poyer, Kroft, and Murphy come to mind.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I think this directly clashes with the HC mindset on the situation discussed. 

That's making something out nothing.  The reporter asked similar leading questions about Allen's "melt down" at the end of the game.  Both acknowledged he needs to improve, but both were quick to defend Allen as well.  McDermott in those situations wants Allen to do things differently, he also wants a 5 man protection to block 4 rushers.  Beane said as an evaluater he would take a guy trying to do too much, vs a guy not willing to do enough.  Allen is  not the reason they lost the game.  The team made multiple mistakes.  A young team in its first playoff game, it's not too hard to understand.  They still were 1 or 2 plays away from winning the game anyways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

You build through the draft

Got through Beane's interview. Sounds like Shaq will get a contract offer and Jordan will test the FA market. 

Good interview overall.

That's how I read it.  Curious how quickly they tend Shaq an offer. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Interesting, I feel the exact opposite. We have signed a bunch of free agents off injuries. Poyer, Kroft, and Murphy come to mind.

I am thinking of the money. It would be a Mario williams-like signing and the money all of that entails.

25 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Series of calls they want back. How about teaching Josh what a 2min offense is. Running 40 seconds off the clock at 1:08 was unbelievable?

How about someone helping Sean with decisions on 4th down (punting on 4th and 4, dropping back on. 4th and 27).  

Then he had the nuts to toss Josh below the bus by saying he was trying to do too much.  Bad look, bro...

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I am thinking of the money. It would be a Mario williams-like signing and the money all of that entails.

I think the Bills have been smart with their cap space because they want to be able to make a splash signing. Everything they've done over the past 3 years has to be looked at in the context of the rebuild. The tear down is done. They aren't going to be stupid with their money but they're not saving all that cap space just for their own draft picks. I would bet serious money on a major splash free agent this year and I'm fairly sure it will be a DE.

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I think this directly clashes with the HC mindset on the situation discussed. 

I don’t think so. They both want an aggressive quarterback. 
But I think they’d agree there’s a difference between aggressive and reckless.

1st half the team, and therefore Josh, were aggressive.

In the 2nd half I believe the team became conservative, which led to Josh getting nervous, frustrated and caused him to then feel like he needed to make things happen, which he did recklessly.

They don’t want a checkdown Kelly Holcomb. 

They don’t want reckless Jameis Winston.

They want an aggressive playmaker (Brett Favre. Not in terms of the career numbers, but in terms of his style of play).

• Like (+1) 1

Analysis: Both Beane and McDermott made a point to bring up Allen’s propensity for trying to do too much. That was on full display at the end of the playoff loss to the Texans. This has been a theme since Allen entered the league and may always be one given the quarterback’s aggressive nature. How do you find the balance of taking care of the football without turning him into “Checkdown Charlie,” as Beane says? Beane doesn’t think that hurdle is too big for Allen to clear. After all, Allen did a much better job taking care of the football in the second half of the season. When forced to carry the offense, however, Allen showed a tendency to revert to his reckless tendencies.

McDermott touched on some of the specific areas of Allen’s game that need improvement, such as the deep ball and some mechanical issues. While he goes to work this offseason, we won’t know how much progress Allen has made until training camp or even the regular season. So much is riding on his development. If he takes a step toward becoming a top 10 quarterback in the league, this team has all the pieces to contend for a division title and win a playoff game. If he goes the other way, this team could struggle to make the postseason.

Bills fans remember past regimes giving up on EJ Manuel and J.P. Losman in a hurry. This current regime isn’t remotely close to giving up on Allen, nor should it be. Beane and McDermott are banking on more improvement from Allen in 2020. Adding more talent around him should help.

Honest . A good look from folks i want to respect moving forward . well done McBeanes

BTW Weo

Josh can handle the truth and so can we.

Team game. Coaches on down. everyone can build off this season and and an earned Playoff Game

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Love Beane. IMO, he knows what he has to do and he knows how to do it the right way.

The hugest fan myself.  I feel like Beane and McD both have a great attribute (to help with longevity) which is lacking an ego and the ability to self reflect and make improvements.  They both seem to do this well and it sets a great example for the staff and players.

This is the reason I am confident we will be more aggressive next year against top tier opponents.  I think we will learn from these games, Texans, Pats ** X 2, Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brian3488 said:

I think u read between all the lines except one. Its pretty evident with me and what McDermott says he is not sold on Daboll as OC here. He said no changes "at this point" to me with questions regarding the offense, he always says there needed to be improvements. Adjustments need to be made and Daboll has to put Josh in the right series or sequence to start the second half. The coaches are responsible for players success too and Daboll has inconsistent stints on play calling but usually really when it matters it gets horrendous.

Think this is what McDermott is seeing and even Beane agrees offense needs more points. Is Daboll the one they see for the future or are they hoping he signs w Browns

I hope you are right and I think you are right.

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Ford is going to be okay. I think a lot of his mistakes were technique things that can be cleaned up. I know I am in the minority, but unless you are giving loads of money to Jack Conklin, I don't think that you are going to find a guy with Ford's upside. I just think he was really raw, and is working on his game. There were times where he looked really good and I was pretty impressed. There were also times in which he looked truly awful, but there were times Spain, Morse, and Feliciano looked terrible as well. I look at it the same way I view Dawkins when people wanted to move him, Ford has not proven that he is incapable of playing right tackle. He isn't there yet and I think it is too early to move him. I think the Bills see him as a true RT and that is why they chose him over Dalton Risner. Like I said, his game is raw. He wasn't asked to do much at Oklahoma and he is working on the nuances of the game. 

Agreed.  I think he will make tremendous improvements over the next 2 years.  And, he already played fairly well as a Rookie at RT and held his own.