John Fox react to Officials overturn 2nd half kickoff from Bills TD to touchback

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

My question? Why did he even catch the ball to begin with? Players just move away a lot of times now and let it bounce in the end zone. Seems there is no good reason to even touch the ball as a returner if you are not planning to bring it out.

To practice catching the ball.

The rule wording is clear. You must put your knee on the ground or lay down AND show no further intent of advancing the ball to give yourself up. Throwing the ball to the ref doesn’t satisfy the rule requirements. Anyone remember when Tre has the pick at the end of the cincy game? He gave himself up, and one of the determining factors in that was that we went to the ground. You can’t just stand there and say “safe”. The rule is the rule. The mysterious “backup refs” frantically running onto  the field pissed me off then, and piss me off even more now. 

John Parry with his “cooler heads prevailing” and “common sense” statements are crazy. Almost as irritating as the 5 quarters of JJ Watt ballwashing we had to endure.

Edited by Sig1Hunter
  • Like (+1) 7

Say a punt returner catches a ball at the 10 yard line and shows no signal of a fair catch yet catches the ball and just stands there without being tackled. 2 seconds later he turns and tosses the ball to the ref and the ball hits the ground, is that a live ball? or did he intend to give up the ball? It's a damn live ball and the same as what happened yesterday. 

Bills got screwed once again and it directly affected the outcome of the game, it's really getting old! 

11 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

As i said in the other thread.

100% chance that every NFL ST coach is showing this to his team, telling his returner to ALWAYS TAKE  A EFFIN KNEE!!!

Texans lucked out and avoided the TD, or safety.

At the time, I said McD should've blown up, that Bellichek would have done so.  Mistake by McD in my book.

Yep, mistake by a young coach not knowing the rules.

Edited by egd

2 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

John Parry with his “cooler heads prevailing” and “common sense” statements are crazy. Almost as irritating as the 5 quarters of JJ Watt ballwashing we had to endure.

that was bizarre.  They kept repeating it like students reading off of a chalkboard in some dystopian classroom.

1 minute ago, egd said:

No, it was ruled he gave himself up after a conference. Only if the officials rule a score on the field is there a review.

It was signaled as a TD. It was subsequently overturned.  It may not have been a booth review but many refs were conferencing on the field and they overturned the call.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

It was signaled as a TD. It was subsequently overturned.  It may not have been a booth review but many refs were conferencing on the field and they overturned the call.

Yes, the officials are allowed to do that. But a review is only done after they indicate a score as their official decision..

Just now, Real McNasty said:

It was live and ruled a TD. What are you talking about?

The officials are allowed to change their minds after a conference.

1 minute ago, egd said:

Yes, the officials are allowed to do that. But a review is only done after they indicate a score as their official decision..

They’re allowed to pick up the flag, but the R made the initial call correctly. He was overruled after pleading by the sideline committee to not do that to the home Texans in a playoff game. Total crap ruling for the sake of allowing the home team to save face. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, egd said:

I could be wrong but I have only seen ruled TD's overturned by the review booth? Some side squabble conference and "intent" crap is the first I've seen to remove what was ruled a TD by the Head Ref. There were no flags on the field for the refs to discuss. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

"This doesn't FEEL right, so let's just call it a touchback."

Feelings are not facts.

And of course later in the same game, common sense went straight out the window when it came to deciding to flag Ford for a “crackback” block in a critical situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2