John Fox react to Officials overturn 2nd half kickoff from Bills TD to touchback

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Victory formation analogy is faulty.  The ball is in the field of play.  The QB has to down it to end the play.  For a touchback (as opposed to a Center snap to the QB) the ball can just hit the ground--no one needs to "down it".

? This is a ridiculous thing to say 

The analogy starts from the time the ball is in the player's hands - and the analogy matches exactly.  If a QB in victory formation (or any other time) has the ball and wants to give himself up he must take a knee.  If a kick returner has the ball in his hand and wants to give himself up he must take a knee.  Both by rule.  Exact same application of rule as written.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

True but someone does it every game.  Catch and kneel.

He never knelt, he put his hands out to his sides indicating to his teammates that he was not coming out, he caught it, but did not kneel. He then tried to flip it to the ref who knew it was still a live ball, so he did not catch it. 

Why did the alternate officials become involved? Aren’t they there as “alternates” in case of injury? They are not officiating unless they replace someone. 

If the Texans player had ZERO intentions of returning the ball, then he should’ve just let it hit the end zone, automatic touchback. If he turned on the Jets after taking those two steps and managed to get past a sleeping Bills return team, there’s nothing none of us could say about it because he never gave himself up as spelled out in the rules.

I guess Devin Hester’s play here should’ve been blown dead as well if the refs are allowed to judge “intent”: Hester Returns FG Attempt

1 minute ago, Stranded in Boston said:

The other thing that's odd is that the back judge in the end zone clearly was aware of the wording of the touchback rule: he did not blow his whistle or signal, and he jumped aside when the returner flipped the ball to him. If the back judge knew the explicit rule, why the hell did he let himself be overruled by the sideline officials, who evidently did NOT know the wording of the rule?

Because everyone ran up to him and said "OMG there's going to be a real sh!tstorm if we let this stand, we have to reverse it because we all know what he meant to do!"

2 minutes ago, Stranded in Boston said:

The other thing that's odd is that the back judge in the end zone clearly was aware of the wording of the touchback rule: he did not blow his whistle or signal, and he jumped aside when the returner flipped the ball to him. If the back judge knew the explicit rule, why the hell did he let himself be overruled by the sideline officials, who evidently did NOT know the wording of the rule?

This is my problem. If the on field ref calls TB, whatever. But this makes it seem like he was pressured to change the ruling for some larger reason. 

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

If the Texans player had ZERO intentions of returning the ball, then he should’ve just let it hit the end zone, automatic touchback. If he turned on the Jets after taking those two steps and managed to get past a sleeping Bills return team, there’s nothing none of us could say about it because he never gave himself up as spelled out in the rules.

I guess Devin Hester’s play here should’ve been blown dead as well if the refs are allowed to judge “intent”: Hester Returns FG Attempt

When he tossed the ball to the ref, his intent wasn't ambiguous...

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Because everyone ran up to him and said "OMG there's going to be a real sh!tstorm if we let this stand, we have to reverse it because we all know what he meant to do!"

Everyone knew what he meant to do because he did it--he gave up the ball to the ref.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

He tossed a live ball. It was ambiguous until that point because he hadn’t downed the football. Tossing a live ball doesn’t excuse him from abiding by the rules.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Dafan said:

Actually if you think about it, it should have been a safety.  He tossed the ball forward which makes it an illegal pass in the endzone.  Penalty in the endzone results in a safety.  This is what I thought the refs were talking about...not overturning the whole TD.

Nope, fumble. 

Players fumble the ball and the ball goes forward all the time. I've never seen one called a forward pass.

It should have been TD, Buffalo.

Now, if a Texans player recovered, yes. Illegal forward pass. 

Edited by Binghamton Beast

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Classic WEO contrarianism here. The dude didn't down it. Whether or not he gave himself up is irrelevant.

I'm not contrarian when I'm pointing out why the call was reversed.  It was explained as such.  Many disagree, but regarding the returners "intent"---it was crystal clear.  That's why they reversed it. Pretty simple

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Everyone knew what he meant to do because he did it--he gave up the ball to the ref.

He meant to give himself up - but by rule did not.  It is unambiguously defined in the rule book what needs to be done by a player to give himself up, and he did not do that.  He did not hit the ground or take a knee - which is written in the rule as a requirement.  It could not be more clear cut.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm not contrarian when I'm pointing out why the call was reversed.  It was explained as such.  Many disagree, but regarding the returners "intent"---it was crystal clear.  That's why they reversed it. Pretty simple

We know WHY it was reversed. 

THAT it was reversed is the problem.

Edited by sodbuster
  • Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

He tossed a live ball. It was ambiguous until that point because he hadn’t downed the football. Tossing a live ball doesn’t excuse him from abiding by the rules.

It wasn't ambiguous--within 2 seconds he tossed it to the ref.  

17 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is the "spirit of the rule" nonsense they pull in hoops, especially NCAA hoops regarding OOB plays where one player bangs it harder, but it appears to touch the other player LAST. There's no such thing as "spirit" as it pertains to rules. They're just rules.

I gather the official will sometimes blow the whistle in situations like the one in question here, and he didn't. 

It would have been a "cheap" TD, but it should have been a "cheap" TD.

What’s particularly galling here is that the official got it right and then was overruled based on an incorrect interpretation of the rule.  Totally inexcusable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1