How to Define a Franchise QB in Today's NFL

You can post all the criteria you want on what does or does not define a franchise QB; however, it is not a simple equation. Even if everyone agreed on what those criteria are, the question then becomes whether or not meeting or not meeting those criteria is a result of the QB's abilities, the talent around him, the coaching, or a combination of all of them.

At this moment, Allen has shown a lot of growth since he was drafted and has also shown he has considerable improvement to go. The Bills have their full compliment of draft picks and the cap room to continue building the offense around Allen. I am looking forward to seeing what the Bills do this off season and how Allen responds next season.

It will be his third year. The talent around him should be better. I think we will all have a better idea around this time next year.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Yes.  I would say Allen is/will be Buffalo’s Franchise QB.

Unfortunately, neither Allen or McDermotts Defenses are very good against other teams Franchise QBs.

2018 - 2-4 Record (Wins against Cousins, Stafford.  Loses against Rivers, Rodgers, Darnold, Brady)

2019 - 2-6 Record (Wins against Darnold, Prescott. Loses against Brady, Wentz, Mayfield, Jackson, Brady, Watson)

So that’s a beautiful 4-10.

Which basically has me seeing the Bills as being a team in the very “ordinary” or “average” level of the league.

they have enough accumulated high end talent to win games against the average to below...but struggle or downright fail against teams that have their **** together.

so Basically Allen and Coach McDermott are trending to being the next Matthew Stafford/Detroit Lions or Chicago Bears.  Two franchise who are linked strongly to only beating bad teams or benefiting from very soft schedules.

but as long as you captizalize on your soft schedule, which you should get every 2 or 3 seasons (thank you parity) you can stick around.  Which is why Stafford is still in Detroit and why Allen and McDermott will be in Buffalo.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Yes.  I would say Allen is/will be Buffalo’s Franchise QB.

Unfortunately, neither Allen or McDermotts Defenses are very good against other teams Franchise QBs.

2018 - 2-4 Record (Wins against Cousins, Stafford.  Loses against Rivers, Rodgers, Darnold, Brady)

2019 - 2-6 Record (Wins against Darnold, Prescott. Loses against Brady, Wentz, Mayfield, Jackson, Brady, Watson)

So that’s a beautiful 4-10.

Which basically has me seeing the Bills as being a team in the very “ordinary” or “average” level of the league.

they have enough accumulated high end talent to win games against the average to below...but struggle or downright fail against teams that have their **** together.

so Basically Allen and Coach McDermott are trending to being the next Matthew Stafford/Detroit Lions or Chicago Bears.  Two franchise who are linked strongly to only beating bad teams or benefiting from very soft schedules.

but as long as you captizalize on your soft schedule, which you should get every 2 or 3 seasons (thank you parity) you can stick around.  Which is why Stafford is still in Detroit and why Allen and McDermott will be in Buffalo.

a lot to unpack there (Darnold a franchise qb?!?)

but at its core- good teams beat bad teams and split with their peers. We are pretty close to that, if they can keep consistency. 

and while they weren’t perfect the D held a good Texans offense to below league average points with an extra quarter of play. While they had a signature flub play to point at they still did more than should be expected in this league and did it against a good team. 

this ones on the offense and contrary to popular opinion plenty of that lands on their first half performance too, not just the melt down. 

This era/idea of having a franchise QB who will carry a team to dominate for 10-15+ years is over I think. I don't think your going to see the Brady/Brees/Manning's anymore. The way offences are moving Nd the types of QBs coming out today will probably be very good for 3-5 years before injuries take effect or they get figured out and become average 

20 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

This era/idea of having a franchise QB who will carry a team to dominate for 10-15+ years is over I think. I don't think your going to see the Brady/Brees/Manning's anymore. The way offences are moving Nd the types of QBs coming out today will probably be very good for 3-5 years before injuries take effect or they get figured out and become average 

Those three are likely Top 5 all time, with maybe only Brees slightly outside of that. It's pure ridiculousness that they existed at the same time, so no I don't think we'll soon see their likes again, but you'll continue to have tons of guys in the Wilson, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Eli, Stafford, Ryan range that keep the league full of star talent.

29 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Guys like Brady, Brees, and Manning are certain HOF caliber QBs. There are a few in each era. They are rare. They are the standard each team should strive for at QB; however, they are not the standard most teams will meet, nor should they reasonably expect to meet. Even the next level of QBs, the real franchise QBs, such as Wilson, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger, will at any given time, only comprise about a quarter to a third of all teams. 

It really is more luck than anything else as to whether or not a team finds one. As to longevity, I think it is a time in the league where rule changes and style of play are conducive to longer careers at the QB position. 

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Great article, an oldie but a goodie. 

What is a franchise Qb, and how do we define it?  What measurements are used and how do we quantify them? 

How well does Allen stack up? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1713557-how-to-define-a-franchise-qb-in-todays-nfl.amp.html

Excellent article. Thanks for posting. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

a lot to unpack there (Darnold a franchise qb?!?)

but at its core- good teams beat bad teams and split with their peers. We are pretty close to that, if they can keep consistency. 

and while they weren’t perfect the D held a good Texans offense to below league average points with an extra quarter of play. While they had a signature flub play to point at they still did more than should be expected in this league and did it against a good team. 

this ones on the offense and contrary to popular opinion plenty of that lands on their first half performance too, not just the melt down. 

I agree.  Plus Specials shouldn’t be forgotten.  Our third side of the ball had a tremendous game.

As for Watson’s big play at the end of the game, he’s a top 10 QB in the league.  Sometimes a player like that is going to make a Wow! play.  The game should have been over in regulation - and it would’ve been if the offense had done its job. 

52 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Guys like Brady, Brees, and Manning are certain HOF caliber QBs. There are a few in each era. They are rare. They are the standard each team should strive for at QB; however, they are not the standard most teams will meet, nor should they reasonably expect to meet. Even the next level of QBs, the real franchise QBs, such as Wilson, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger, will at any given time, only comprise about a quarter to a third of all teams. 

It really is more luck than anything else as to whether or not a team finds one. As to longevity, I think it is a time in the league where rule changes and style of play are conducive to longer careers at the QB position. 

I think it's more likely the standard gets lowered as to what make a Franchise QB. Even the 3 guys you mention are closer to retirement then being part of a new era of QBs. Who else is left since them? Look at the guys drafted in the last 5 or so years and who was expected to be the next group. Marriotta, Winston, Goff, Wentz, and Prescott, all taken and expected to be franchise guys but are being questioned. Recently you have the Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Rosen, Jackson draft where Jackson has been the best so far and many don't think his success will last. Mahommes and Watson might be the 2 best in the last few years and it's questionable if they can sustain a high level of play over multiple seasons.