Some thoughts in an emotional time

cgg716

Everybody knows how tough this was, how it will stick with us fans. I for one hope this sticks with the coaches and players. I see people giving Allen an F grade for the 2nd half and such, while I don’t want to absolve his performance, to me, what I take from this, is I hope this is McDermotts lightbulb moment, the game he looks back on every time he needs to decide to try and win or try not to lose.

I said it at the end of the first half, when he inexplicably settled for 3, it wouldn’t be good enough, it almost never is. Like quite a few other times this season, Allen was tasked with managing a lead, instead of trying to increase it. And it’s incredibly hard to judge a player in those instances.

Worse yet, not even that feels uniform, settle for 3 to end the half, then turn down a long FG to go for it on 4th and 26?, Even considering Hauschs lack of success from 50+, he had to have better odds. Call 3 passes after the first down in OT, when all you needed was 6-7 yds for a chance? It all just feels so random. And it’s why Allen tried dumb things like the lateral, that coaching style puts more pressure on the players. All we can hope is they learn from it. Go Bills!

4 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Everybody knows how tough this was, how it will stick with us fans. I for one hope this sticks with the coaches and players. I see people giving Allen an F grade for the 2nd half and such, while I don’t want to absolve his performance, to me, what I take from this, is I hope this is McDermotts lightbulb moment, the game he looks back on every time he needs to decide to try and win or try not to lose.

I said it at the end of the first half, when he inexplicably settled for 3, it wouldn’t be good enough, it almost never is. Like quite a few other times this season, Allen was tasked with managing a lead, instead of trying to increase it. And it’s incredibly hard to judge a player in those instances.

Worse yet, not even that feels uniform, settle for 3 to end the half, then turn down a long FG to go for it on 4th and 26?, Even considering Hauschs lack of success from 50+, he had to have better odds. Call 3 passes after the first down in OT, when all you needed was 6-7 yds for a chance? It all just feels so random. And it’s why Allen tried dumb things like the lateral, that coaching style puts more pressure on the players. All we can hope is they learn from it. Go Bills!

This team needs to learn how to stick the dagger in. There were plenty of opportunities to do that today and they let the Texans off the hook.  McD needs to have a Offensive Coordinator that goes for the throat. Daboll is brilliant at times but seems to lack this one key quality!

3 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

This team needs to learn how to stick the dagger in. There were plenty of opportunities to do that today and they let the Texans off the hook.  McD needs to have a Offensive Coordinator that goes for the throat. Daboll is brilliant at times but seems to lack this one key quality!

I tend to think that falls on Mcd, not Daboll, it’s likely a directive from the top. Good play designs by Daboll, baffling timing which likely only partially falls on him

• Like (+1) 1

This is what makes it extra tough. The scared playcalling was obvious since the beginning of the season. And very little changed. We blew it today. I hate that we have to live with this for a full year before we get a chance to redeem ourselves. Life's too short to always wait until next year, and NFL windows are definitely too short. 

My optimism is directly related not just to whatever improvements come on offense next year, but if the coaching staff has the obvious epiphany.

Because if we keep this up for the rest of McDermott's tenure, it doesn't matter what players we have on offense, we're going to be a perennial 1 or 2 and out playoff team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

He doesn't settle for 3 in the first half if Duke Williams catches the perfectly thrown TD pass, though.

But when they got to the Texans 30 yard line, look at all the time they wasted by letting the clock run, and with 2 time outs.

They had a chance to run more plays and having a better shot at the end zone than from what they attempted.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

But when they got to the Texans 30 yard line, look at all the time they wasted by letting the clock run, and with 2 time outs.

They had a chance to run more plays and having a better shot at the end zone than from what they attempted.

True and I agree they wasted time and could have run at least 1  more play - but what they did worked - the player failed to execute.

6 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

He doesn't settle for 3 in the first half if Duke Williams catches the perfectly thrown TD pass, though.

Eh, while true and Duke should have caught that ball, that is a low percentage call. Almost like a prayer after running it and playing super conservative the first two downs. It should have been multiple shots, not just one. 

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Eh, while true and Duke should have caught that ball, that is a low percentage call. Almost like a prayer after running it and playing super conservative the first two downs. It should have been multiple shots, not just one. 

Low percentage but the percentage hit and the player failed to execute - period. They need a better wideout on the other side of Brown.

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

True and I agree they wasted time and could have run at least 1  more play - but what they did worked - the player failed to execute.

Yes, Williams should have caught that ball and gotten the touchdown.

The Bills failed to use the game clock and their timeouts wisely.

I did not see urgency or playing "Fearless" at the end of that drive.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

What does that even mean in actual football terms?

What we need is more talent and better execution, most crucially at the quarterback position.

If Allen had the talent to put points on the board or lead us to a TD scoring drive in OT, no one here would be talking about "learning how to win" and all this other crap floating around here tonight.

When the game mattered most, he was beyond terrible.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, Williams should have caught that ball and gotten the touchdown.

The Bills failed to use the game clock and their timeouts wisely.

I did not see urgency or playing "Fearless" at the end of that drive.

Logically, it makes sense, though, especially because of the execution of the play that failed. The players aren't good enough. The 3 points was extremely important - it put us up by 2 scores.

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not Duke.

NO.

He catches EVERYTHING thrown his way, and it's inexcusable he's been on the bench!

:lol:

He gave us more than Foster or McKenzie  No he's not the long term answer but should have been in the top 3 wrs all season