Roster needs going forward and how they'll be filled: a style question

12 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

As I see it, this team has four glaring needs in the following order:

1) A true #1 receiver. Look, I get it. Brown's had an amazing year, but he clearly lacks the size necessary to compete for contested passes.

2) A RT that's actually capable of blocking people. Cody Ford is pretty clearly not the answer here, as was evidenced on the last series of the last drive.

3) A DE capable of creating consistent pass rush. Shaq, while having the best season of his career is clearly a second-tier kind of guy, a Ryan Denney/Aaron Schoebel type.

4) A RB to pair with Motor. Need more size and youth at this position.

The question then is, HOW would the team best address these four areas of need? I'm of the opinion that we should be looking at FA for the WR and RT positions (as well as drafting a WR), while drafting the DE and RB. I reckon that if the team does it that way, it would allow them maximum flexibility in the draft. Agree/disagree...if so, why?

I'd like to see a hard push for Yannick and go WR in the draft. 

Shaq is having a nice season, but Ngakoue is a force. He's consistently disruptive. He forces fumbles. AND he's been doing it since day 1 of his career. 

I think Chris Kelsay is a better comparison for Shaq. He's better than Kelsay, but not by THAT much. Schobel gets a bad rap, so I'm gonna disagree with that comp. At any rate, they need "that guy" up front that opponents have to game plan around. Hopefully Oliver emerges as that guy on the interior, but that edge player does not exist on the current roster.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

As I see it, this team has four glaring needs in the following order:

1) A true #1 receiver. Look, I get it. Brown's had an amazing year, but he clearly lacks the size necessary to compete for contested passes.

2) A RT that's actually capable of blocking people. Cody Ford is pretty clearly not the answer here, as was evidenced on the last series of the last drive.

3) A DE capable of creating consistent pass rush. Shaq, while having the best season of his career is clearly a second-tier kind of guy, a Ryan Denney/Aaron Schoebel type.

4) A RB to pair with Motor. Need more size and youth at this position.

The question then is, HOW would the team best address these four areas of need? I'm of the opinion that we should be looking at FA for the WR and RT positions (as well as drafting a WR), while drafting the DE and RB. I reckon that if the team does it that way, it would allow them maximum flexibility in the draft. Agree/disagree...if so, why?

Yes agreed. Could do with a DT/LB aswell. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t see the Bills investing in a RT, specially considering that the production from that position wasn’t too shabby.   Contrary to popular belief, Ford actually played decent the past two games, I’m fairly certain that they will Roll with the same two again.

Wide Receiver I believe will be their top priority this off season, specially from Beane’s point of view.  He will do everything in his power to provide Allen the tools he needs to succeed.    

I think McD is craving to have a high quality DE pass rusher so I do think the Bills will be in the market to make a strong push for one.

Running back Will most likely be addressed.

More depth at DB, and wouldn’t be surprised that they bring in or draft someone to compete with Levi Wallace.

I think they will look to replace Lorax with a jack knife sort of player who can both defend the pass and get after the QB.

I suspect the Bills will look to resign Phillips and Shaq.

I think Foster is a goner and depending on the moves the Bills make Trent Murphy as well.   But if they don’t pick up at least one quality DE through the draft or FA then Murphy most likely stays for 2020.

WR and DE I believe are top 2 needs.  Bills need 2 WRs to replace Williams and Foster.  I could see Bills draft a WR (1st or 2nd rd) and sign a FA WR.  Draft is deep at WR.  A legit #1 WR could truly transform this offense.

DE is a serious need.  Bills really need a pass rushing force.  The Bills defense doesn't generate enough turnovers imo.  Murphy and Hughes aren't generating enough pressure.  Someone is going to pay Shaq more than he's worth.  Drafting a DE is the way to go.  1st or 2nd rd.

RT is a close 3rd.  Even if they keep Ford at RT the Bills need another OT to develop.  Nyseke will be entering final year of contract and has injury history.  

LB, RB, and CB are needs as well.

I suspect Bills will use some cap space to extend either White, Milano, or Dawkins this off season.

14 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’d go all in on Cooper to wrap up WR.  We need production right away, no growing pains.

RT...either way will work, more likely to fill the need via FA though, I think.  We aren’t drafting high and we need to make sure that position is solidified.

DE...likely have to draft, unless you move Edmunds to the outside and use his rush skills more. That would allow you to get a run stuffer which you can do in the draft.

RB...either or. 

Nice points all

But the moving Edmunds and grabbing a downhill LB intrigues me. Not sure it doe McBeanes. but good thought

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I don’t see the Bills investing in a RT, specially considering that the production from that position wasn’t too shabby.   Contrary to popular belief, Ford actually played decent the past two games, I’m fairly certain that they will Roll with the same two again.

Wide Receiver I believe will be their top priority this off season, specially from Beane’s point of view.  He will do everything in his power to provide Allen the tools he needs to succeed.    

I think McD is craving to have a high quality DE pass rusher so I do think the Bills will be in the market to make a strong push for one.

Running back Will most likely be addressed.

More depth at DB, and wouldn’t be surprised that they bring in or draft someone to compete with Levi Wallace.

I think they will look to replace Lorax with a jack knife sort of player who can both defend the pass and get after the QB.

I suspect the Bills will look to resign Phillips and Shaq.

I think Foster is a goner and depending on the moves the Bills make Trent Murphy as well.   But if they don’t pick up at least one quality DE through the draft or FA then Murphy most likely stays for 2020.

I posted a skeptical only for the bolded

Ford is a guard on his best day. he does not have the footwork.

Missing Ty has been huge. Just ask Josh : )

14 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’d go all in on Cooper to wrap up WR.  We need production right away, no growing pains.

RT...either way will work, more likely to fill the need via FA though, I think.  We aren’t drafting high and we need to make sure that position is solidified.

DE...likely have to draft, unless you move Edmunds to the outside and use his rush skills more. That would allow you to get a run stuffer which you can do in the draft.

RB...either or. 

I agree on Cooper.....but would also draft a WR high.  Past Brown and Bease we literally have jags on this team.  If we could create a stable of 4 good WR's that would be best.

On OT.....Im ok with moving ford to OG.....but we do still have Ty under contract for at least another year and Waddle will be back from injured researve   We also traded for Ryan Bates who has played well when called upon this year and frankly has been solid as a OT.  Not against take a stab at a OL in this draft but I want offensive playmakers first.

We should take a DE high......or go after a pure pass rusher in free agency.   Shaq should stay.....Murphy should go.

By the 3rd round we should be drafting a big speed RB

On 12/23/2019 at 4:06 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

No the Defense is not too good.....  See vs. NE, Cleveland & Baltimore.  It was a creampuff schedule.  

Give me a break.

They allowed 16, 19, 24, 24 to the teams you listed above.  The league average is around 23 points.

And these were among their worst performances all year.

If you don't think the Bills have a good defense, you don't know football.

They haven't done it in 3 friggin years......  

You really think they are better on Defense then SF, Chicage, NE, Baltimore & others who also happen to throw for 300 (and Baltimore is the anomaly, however have the most points scored), while Buffalo again is near the bottom (25th in points).  

There are a combination of factors that have resulted in us not throwing for 300 yards during that time span.

Having a top defense and conservative-leaning coaching staff is very high among them.

Below average quarterback play for good chunks of that stretch does factor in.  But it's not the ONLY reason.

Tyrod Taylor was an average/below average passer.  We all know that.  Josh Allen struggled heavily most of his rookie season.  And despite making some great strides, he's not yet where he needs to be.  We all know that as well.

Despite that, there are 3-4 instances this season where Allen easily could/would have thrown for 300 yards -- but our coaching staff decided to spend the last 20 minutes of the game chewing clock.  Bottom line... stats don't matter.  They can sometimes be helpful in revealing what is going on, but they can also be misleading.  Our team cares about one statistic.  That is a 10-4 record.  And that's all you should care about too.