Robert Foster = total non factor

Steptide

I get Brown and Beasley are better players than Foster. I thought at the start of preseason that Foster was better than McKenzie yet it's as if their roles switched this season. I'm shocked but maybe Foster lacks something whether it be desire, good practice habits etc. Either way both feel like are depth WRs and if we going to keep running 3 WR fronts we need someone better or add a dimension that we lack. I know Allison in Green Bay has some size on him and could be a spot starter/depth WR I'd look at. I also like the WR from Liberty in the draft.

It looked to me like Foster had one target last night. Which was an overthrown long bomb to the end zone where he was double covered.  He hasn't been targeted by Josh and he rarely gets a chance on the offense. In fact before last nights game he had only had 13 targets all year. Josh just doesn't look for him or he just isn't used at all. Daboll isn't even bothering to use him and if the play is to him he is usually well covered. The one advantage Duke has over him isn't height (they are almost the same height) but 25lbs of weight. I would like to see both of them used next week (along with Yeldon) and Brown, Singletary and Beasley rested. I think that would be an intelligent personnel decision. But as many people say on here, how dare anyone question the coaches and their personnel decisions because fans know nothing.

15 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We're not a passing team. Brown and Beasley eat most of the targets. Allen hasn't been very close on most deep balls this season.

This is true. Interesting note: Brown is already 14th all-time in single-season receptions (72 receptions) for the franchise, and Beasley is 21st (67 receptions) with 1 game to go! Not quite Moulds and Price of 2002, but impressive nonetheless. Of course, this also shows how much of a dinosaur this franchise has been in the modern passing game since Kelly.... but I digress.

If you include Allen's scrambles on aborted pass plays in addition to designed passes to the RB's and TE's, there really aren't enough targets to go around for other WR's. Foster, McKenzie, Williams, and Roberts would only function as role players at this point when everyone is healthy. However, I would like to see Daboll utilize these role players more (I'll include Yeldon here too) and get creative for the playoffs. In the absence of superior talent, this offense badly needs some creativity. I'm still a believer in Foster! At the very least, he serves a useful role of opening up space in the middle for Beasley.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:08 PM, Nelius said:

Nice thread, completely agree and really hope we can move on from Foster. Fans still act like he's going to come around, as if an entire lost season isn't enough. We don't have some secret weapon at WR that may go off eventually - we essentially have incomplete WR depth. Foster is never going to duplicate what he did at the very end of last season. It was a nice story for awhile, but he was always an UDFA for a reason.

Bills fans always seem to over value some depth player as being a secret weapon thats going to change the team, last year it was Foster, this year its Duke.

Listening to the end of the game on satelite radio last night and they mentioned Foster and said he basically lost his spot on the offence when Brown joined the team.

4 hours ago, KayAdams said:

This is true. Interesting note: Brown is already 14th all-time in single-season receptions (72 receptions) for the franchise, and Beasley is 21st (67 receptions) with 1 game to go! Not quite Moulds and Price of 2002, but impressive nonetheless. Of course, this also shows how much of a dinosaur this franchise has been in the modern passing game since Kelly.... but I digress.

If you include Allen's scrambles on aborted pass plays in addition to designed passes to the RB's and TE's, there really aren't enough targets to go around for other WR's. Foster, McKenzie, Williams, and Roberts would only function as role players at this point when everyone is healthy. However, I would like to see Daboll utilize these role players more (I'll include Yeldon here too) and get creative for the playoffs. In the absence of superior talent, this offense badly needs some creativity. I'm still a believer in Foster! At the very least, he serves a useful role of opening up space in the middle for Beasley.

They use Mckenzie and Foster a lot to clear out or on those jet sweeps. That's the primary reason Duke hasn't played. They want the speed. 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They use Mckenzie and Foster a lot to clear out or on those jet sweeps. That's the primary reason Duke hasn't played. They want the speed. 

True, but wouldn't Duke be more useful in the red zone where there's not much space anyway to exploit? Should I start a separate Duke Williams thread about this?

On 12/22/2019 at 11:10 AM, Steptide said:

I know he's a special teamer, but even in that category he seems nowhere to be found. Foster has 3 catches this year for 64 yards. In 2 games Duke williams has 6 catches for 58 yards. 

This isn't another Duke williams thread, it's a find another freaking reciever thread. Whether it's Duke williams or someone else, the bills desperately need another passing threat. Beasley and brown are solid, but past that the bills are almost hopeless. 

It's not a desperate need. It's surely something they could use, but they're no longer in the bottom ten of receiving corps. They've got a legit group.

Could they use an upgrade? Sure, but it's not an emergency. Plenty of teams don't have three really threatening guys. With Knox as another option, they're not desperate anymore. I'd certainly expect them to address it this offseason, though.

As for Foster, he's only appeared in 15.2% of their snaps. He hasn't done a ton, as he isn't out there all that much.

On 12/22/2019 at 12:11 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

This is the only team in the NFL that has been using only 2 primary wrs all year. Daboll is beyond stupid and is handcuffing Josh.

Ravens WR receptions chart:

Marquise Brown 67 catches for 563

Willie Snead 28 catches for 317

Seth Roberts 31 for 248

Miles Boykin 19 catches for 190

So, no. And the Ravens were the first team I checked.

Oh, wait, had a second thought and yeah, NE's third oftenest-used WR, after Dorsett and Edelman, is Meyers at 39%, almost exactly the same as McKenzie.Cleveland's was 39.0. The Chiefs use four WRs fairly often and their third WR was out there less than 50%. Indy only has one guy above 50% for the season. Their next two are both about 42%. Minnesota's 3rd guy, Thielen, is about 42.1%

It's just not that unusual.

28 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

True, but wouldn't Duke be more useful in the red zone where there's not much space anyway to exploit? Should I start a separate Duke Williams thread about this?

We're pretty good in the redzone, which is why I don't understand the Duke talk. The guy we have to get going is Robert Foster. He's the only WR on the roster with elite physical ability. He's shown he can play. I'm not sure why he and Josh aren't connecting or why he fell so far down the depth chart this offseason. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Many of us knew at the start of this season that the Bills wr corp was bottom third in the league. When the trade deadline passed it was clear that it would not be addressed until the off-season. 

Talent is what is needed and wishful thinking that they have some undiscovered supertalent already in the fold is useless. Brown and Beasley are both decent but undersized receivers, the Bills need two talented, big, fast receivers to go with them. That's not happening this season unfortunately. The effect that a good oline and multiple talented weapons can have on a young QB's development can not be underestimated imo. Hopefully both the oline and wr group add significant talent by next year, another good young rb will be needed as well.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:11 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

This is the only team in the NFL that has been using only 2 primary wrs all year. Daboll is beyond stupid and is handcuffing Josh.

You really believe it's Daboll and not Allen? There are a lot of play evaluators that study the Bills offense, play design is hardly ever the issue.