XBox X

/dev/null

I kind of got bucked off video games a bit during this last gen.  Owned a PS4 and played it early, but couldnt get through even my favorite series' releases such as Fallout 4 and Red Dead.  Games seem way too focused on multiplayer crap, and micropurchases.  I cant put in the time to play multiplayer as literally everyone has more experience and has either unlocked perks or bought them.  

I spent the last few years building some killer retro gaming devices.  I have a NES Mini replica case that has several thousands of games for every system through the first playstation (including arcade games).  I have replica controllers for most systems as well.  Retro games are great. (and hard).    I also put some together for friends.  In the next couple years, I want to make a bartop arcade with all the arcade games in it.

11 hours ago, /dev/null said:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/12/21016575/microsoft-xbox-series-x-next-xbox-console

2020 is going to be rough. Presidential Election and another Console War :ph34r:

Let's just hope the brave men and woman make it through another console war without too many casualties. One day soon, hopefully we can all living together as one without wars over consoles.......

Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo's living as one in peace and harmony ....

22 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I kind of got bucked off video games a bit during this last gen.  Owned a PS4 and played it early, but couldnt get through even my favorite series' releases such as Fallout 4 and Red Dead.  Games seem way too focused on multiplayer crap, and micropurchases.  I cant put in the time to play multiplayer as literally everyone has more experience and has either unlocked perks or bought them.  

I spent the last few years building some killer retro gaming devices.  I have a NES Mini replica case that has several thousands of games for every system through the first playstation (including arcade games).  I have replica controllers for most systems as well.  Retro games are great. (and hard).    I also put some together for friends.  In the next couple years, I want to make a bartop arcade with all the arcade games in it.

I have an Xbox 360 and PS2 in my basement I will probably breakout when I can get my basement finished. I also have an original Sega Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, and Game Boy in my mom's basement that might still work. I haven't had time in years to be able to play anything. I just got out the Nintendo Wii for my kids to play earlier this summer and we bought the Switch for them for Christmas cause they were asking for it. 

Not sure if I will buy another console. I'm about sick of games shipping half-finished, requiring me to download 20-30 GB just to play... only to be forced to purchase and download content to finish the ***** plot.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Not sure if I will buy another console. I'm about sick of games shipping half-finished, requiring me to download 20-30 GB just to play... only to be forced to purchase and download content to finish the ***** plot.

I am always 1 generation of console away from current!   Solves this problem.  

I got a PS4 for Xmas last year and it's still in the box, unused.

This works out well b/c prices are always cheaper and it is not hard to figure out what the "all time" best games are for the console....and they cost $19.95 or 29.95 instead of $59.95.  They're still brand new to me when I play them so who cares? 

There are tons of Youtube review videos showing "the best 20 games for PS4" and so on and it's usually very easy to find the ones that speak to me.  I go with those.

3 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Well the newer console now are starting to go disk/cartridge less now. Xbox is selling a console that is digital only, others are just giving the option to buy the physical game or a download version. 

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Well the newer console now are starting to go disk/cartridge less now. Xbox is selling a console that is digital only, others are just giving the option to buy the physical game or a download version. 

I think that is what he is bi****** about

You but a game with a disc and pop it in and it still has to download for 2 hours

I've had my PS4 for 4 years now and I've played a grand total of 5 games.  Each of those was a part of a long running franchise, three of which are more than likely finished.  I think I've officially hit the point where I won't be moving forward with the new consoles.  If the machine is mostly a streaming video connection for me, I can find much cheaper options.

• 3 months later...

They announced all the specs and new features of the Xbox series X and it looks pretty amazing!

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-x?ocid=insideseriesx_Xbox_ema_omc_xbo_Engage

You can have up to 5 games running at the same time and switch between them, resuming right where you left off (like paused in the middle of a race for ex).

12 teraflops, true 4K, 8k ready, 120fps

1 TB soils state hard drive for much faster load times and you can buy 1 TB expandable drives that plug into the back of the console (that they claim will perform just like the internal SSD) -

The Xbox Series X Storage Expansion Card provides additional game storage at peak speed and performance by replicating the console's internal custom SSD experience. The 1TB card is inserted directly into the back of the console via the dedicated storage expansion port.

Some games, like their Microsoft flight simulator, will use accurate real time maps of the world (sounds something like google earth). 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/13/2019 at 10:15 AM, Koko78 said:

Do what I do!  Always stay 1 generation behind the times!  LOL

I just got PS4.  I have now done this with the first playstation, PS2, PS3, and now PS4.

They usually undergo that price drop to $199 and all the best games have been out, reviewed, and discussed, usually for years, by the time I get to the platform.

It becomes very easy to see what the 20 best games are and then they all cost $19.99 or $29.99 instead of $50 or $60.

And since the platform is new to me, I am always impressed with the quality of graphics and game play, even though I'm a generation "old".  

I never really planned this strategy but it has worked like a peach for a long time now.