The Impeachment Trial of President Donald J. Trump

Nanker

15 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

is Schiffty really making this argument? with the Horowitz report out and yesterdays admittance that 2 of the FISA's were fraudlent, the argument seems like more like a pipe dream than anything. it's too bad Durham couldn't unveil some of his findings tomorrow to coincide with WHC defense.

• Like (+1) 3

i am certainly no lawyer, even though i play one on the internet. however it just strikes me, listening to the House Managers these last three days, that they have, more than their other mistakes, commited a huge tactical error. in that, they have essentially repeated the same arguments, in the same tenor as they did in their House, 'investigation'. whereby, they talked down to their audience (the average American) and admonished them that their 'evidence', is above all else, unimpeachable. it can not be questioned. no matter that there is very little factual evidence anywhere in their, 'evidence'.

imo, telling Senators that they must do this, this and that because of x,y and z is suicidal. what they should have done is to present their 'evidence', then qualify it with a simple, 'if we have done our job and have created a sound case then the only verdict can be guilty'. this, along with other such unassuming points of perspective would have went much farther here.  this tactical error is only off putting to a body that i'm quite sure sees itself as being above the House. being talked down to by the lower house is only going to enrage the Senate.

all of which suggests that this is no tactical error, at all. it is being designed with sound bytes in mind to use against 15 Repub Senators up for reelection in November.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i am certainly no lawyer, even though i play one on the internet. however it just strikes me, listening to the House Managers these last three days, that they have, more than their other mistakes, commited a huge tactical error. in that, they have essentially repeated the same arguments, in the same tenor as they did in their House, 'investigation'. whereby, they talked down to their audience (the average American) and admonished them that their 'evidence', is above all else, unimpeachable. it can not be questioned. no matter that there is very little factual evidence anywhere in their, 'evidence'.

imo, telling Senators that they must do this, this and that because of x,y and z is suicidal. what they should have done is to present their 'evidence', then qualify it with a simple, 'if we have done our job and have created a sound case then the only verdict can be guilty'. this, along with other such unassuming points of perspective would have went much farther here.  this tactical error is only off putting to a body that i'm quite sure sees itself as being above the House. being talked down to by the lower house is only going to enrage the Senate.

all of which suggests that this is no tactical error, at all. it is being designed with sound bytes in mind to use against 15 Repub Senators up for reelection in November.

I think you should cut Adam and Jerry some slack.  They don't have a great case to work with.  They're tasked with making chicken salad from chicken *****. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I think you should cut Adam and Jerry some slack.  They don't have a great case to work with.  They're tasked with making chicken salad from chicken *****. 

They made the chicken****.

They want the Senate to make the Salad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Article 2 argument is that Trump issued a blanket Executive Branch refusal to cooperate with the House investigation.

The Managers keep bringing up U.S. vs. Nixon. That Subpoena in question was issued in April, 1974.  The Supreme Court decided the case in July, 1974 (THREE MONTHS).

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

dinnertime.

Yum, Chicken Salad!!

• Haha (+1) 1

@snafu

perhaps you would know... i don't know the name of the last manager but he was raising the argument that the White house did not comply with any subpoena issued by the House. i have seen it argued that one of the main reasons for this is because the White house viewed them as illegitimate. my understanding is that they were viewed to be illegitimate because the House never took a formal vote. 

not sure my understanding is complete here however. is the argument based upon the establishment of the inquiry, ie; a vote to begin the inquiry by the full house before it began or would it be arguing that there was not a full house vote for each and every subpoena?

Edited by Foxx

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

At the end of the day, they know Trump is never going to be removed from office. This is simply a prolonged political smear. There's a reason the "managers" and media are framing a quick dismissal as a 'cover up', while completely ignoring the fact that the House halfassed the "investigation". Al Green told the truth when he said something to the effect of 'if we don't impeach, he will win re-election'.

You are correct in the Democrats attempting to create sound bites instead of presenting proof. Their audience isn't the US Senate, it's the low-information voters that the media is going to repeatedly blast these clips of Democrat smears and lies to, in order to try to influence the 2020 elections. The GOP/Trump campaign will simply "pounce", "without evidence" in reply.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

SO I didn't watch today but saw this tweet from DR today:
Schiff,
"Let’s imagine it wasn’t Joe Biden.

Let’s imagine it was any one of us.
Let’s imagine the most powerful man in the world was asking a foreign nation to conduct a sham investigation of us. What would we think about it then?"

Let's imagine x3. Fairy tales again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

what they should have done is to present their 'evidence', then qualify it with a simple, 'if we have done our job and have created a sound case then the only verdict can be guilty'.

They probably would have done that except for one thing.

They have no evidence. None at all. 

In case that's not clear, just read the posts from Tibs and Gary. It's essentially gibberish at this point.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1