THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - The Answer

Shaw66

I agree that the Bills are a good football team.  However, I think they were beneficiaries of a schedule that was overloaded with weak teams early in the schedule.  Their offense was not particularly good in September.  They had nine new starters and Josh Allen was still, for all intents and purposes a rookie.  They had some talent, but they were not yet a cohesive, quality offense.  They won a lot of games because they did have a solid defense and because they had a weak schedule.  What that allowed them to do was to pile up enough wins to be a playoff contender while their offense was developing.  Fast forward to November: Buffalo's completely overhauled offensive line has learned to play together.  Josh Allen is making few mistakes and acting like a veteran.  He has chemistry with John Brown and Cole Beasley and the offense is starting to get solid contributions from Devin Singletary, and to a lesser extent Dawson Knox and Robert Foster.  In essence, they have grown into their record.  ESPN gives them a 95%  chance of making the playoffs.  I think they have a reasonable chance of making it out of wild card weekend still alive.  After that, we'll see.

• Like (+1) 10

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

I agree that the Bills are a good football team.  However, I think they were beneficiaries of a schedule that was overloaded with weak teams early in the schedule.  Their offense was not particularly good in September.  They had nine new starters and Josh Allen was still, for all intents and purposes a rookie.  They had some talent, but they were not yet a cohesive, quality offense.  They won a lot of games because they did have a solid defense and because they had a weak schedule.  What that allowed them to do was to pile up enough wins to be a playoff contender while their offense was developing.  Fast forward to November: Buffalo's completely overhauled offensive line has learned to play together.  Josh Allen is making few mistakes and acting like a veteran.  He has chemistry with John Brown and Cole Beasley and the offense is starting to get solid contributions from Devin Singletary, and to a lesser extent Dawson Knox and Robert Foster.  In essence, they have grown into their record.  ESPN gives them a 95%  chance of making the playoffs.  I think they have a reasonable chance of making it out of wild card weekend still alive.  After that, we'll see.

That's a nice description of the season.  I agree with it. 

But you completely miss the point.   Every team is trying to figure out who they are and how to win in September and October.   That's the reality.   For twenty years we've watched the BIlls look the same at the end of November as they looked on October 1.  They never grew, they never developed, and as a result they were reliably crappy in December.  

This is different.  This team has grown just as you say - that's what good teams do.  They grow.  They figure out how to play together.  They find ways they can rely on to win games.   That is exactly what we saw yesterday.   

This is a good team.  Great?  I doubt it.   But good, most definitely.   Belichick could see it and said it in September.  He certainly can see it now.   

Maybe the Ravens will roll over the Bills next week, but if they do, it will be because they prepared well and played well.  Everyone knows now that the Bills won't stop playing.  

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

As excellent as his passing was, it was Allen’s running game that made his day truly outstanding.  His 15-yard touchdown run in the third quarter seemed almost ordinary, we’ve seen it so often, but it’s anything but ordinary. 

Amen to that. Allen is so fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

The Oliver sack, leading to the 4th and 1 conversion, leading to the incredible trick play was the best sequence I've seen from the Bills in a long time. One game changing play after another. I knew the Cowboys wouldn't be able to recover. If a phantom flag hadn't been thrown on J Phillips, the defense would have had turnovers on 3 consecutive drives. Really incredible in-game adjustments from the coaches.

4 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Who is hill?

Did I say something about hill?  Where, I'll fix it. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Oliver sack, leading to the 4th and 1 conversion, leading to the incredible trick play was the best sequence I've seen from the Bills in a long time. One game changing play after another. I knew the Cowboys wouldn't be able to recover. If a phantom flag hadn't been thrown on J Phillips, the defense would have had turnovers on 3 consecutive drives. Really incredible in-game adjustments from the coaches.

All true.  It really was a weak call on Phillips.  There is no doubt that the teams with the reputation get the calls.  Compare the Phillips call to the hit on Allen when he slid.  Ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

All true.  It really was a weak call on Phillips.  There is no doubt that the teams with the reputation get the calls.  Compare the Phillips call to the hit on Allen when he slid.  Ridiculous. 

I've seen a lot of crap officiating over the years but it's never been as blatantly home cooked as it was yesterday. I had a feeling the NFL would try to make it up to Dallas after the phantom tripping calls last week. This is partly why yesterday's win felt so special to me. We didn't just take down the Cowboys, we took down the entire NFL, not to mention all the people that said our record was a mirage. Only lifelong Bills fans can understand what this win means.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Troll Toll said:

If Bills beat the Ravens and Patriots, then are they a great team? I’m not conceding either game.

Yes, and I'm not conceding either game, either.  

The Ravens will have to earn it.  And the Patriots are struggling, despite their record.  

• Like (+1) 1

Second, everything felt odd about the experience.  I was watching the Bills sitting at home instead of in a sports bar, where I usually have to go for road games.  Why?  Because this game was televised nationally, at least figuratively if not technically in prime time.  I’m completely accustomed to watching the Bills on some regional broadcast with no-name announcers and with more or less no one around the country watching.  So what where those lovely blue and white uniforms doing on TV on Thanksgiving afternoon?

Ah Shaw,as a PA Bills fan I feel your pain. Sundays at the Stadium are great but the watching of the away games with On Direct TV for $300 more is something only Bills fans can appreciate. I watch alone, nobody to cheer with, nobody to complain with, nobody to discuss the game with after its over. Nobody sees the game or the Bills but us. I bowl on Mondays and its all Steelers talk all the time, until yesterdays game it has just been the about Bills and their easy schedule and whatever the national media says. (mostly Bulls##t)     GO BILLS!

Edited by Stroke 17

The Bills ARE a good team and it seems that with the growing into a good team from even a few weeks ago to now that they are peaking.   Back in the day (early 90s) nobody would want to come into Buffalo to play us on our turf and we were proud of that.  Now we're heading into a tough December with 2 games at home ( Ravens at Jets) and another two on the road (NE and Pitt) in hostile environments with weather challenges of their own.  I really hope that against the elite of the AFC - Baltimore and the Patriots - that we come away with at least one win.

This did answer the question for many of us and (not that I care one iota) the national media talking heads.  

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've seen a lot of crap officiating over the years but it's never been as blatantly home cooked as it was yesterday. I had a feeling the NFL would try to make it up to Dallas after the phantom tripping calls last week. This is partly why yesterday's win felt so special to me. We didn't just take down the Cowboys, we took down the entire NFL, not to mention all the people that said our record was a mirage. Only lifelong Bills fans can understand what this win means.

Well said, after those first 3 bogus penalties and the reversed int. I said to myself they're flat out not going to allow us to win. We beat the refs and the #1 offense in the NFL. And all on NATIONAL TV!