revisiting 2018 draft possibilities. Did we overpay?

Pete

My lord the Bills are 7-3 with the #3 defense in the NFL...with one of the best CBs...and whats looking like a very stable young QB who should develop into that long term franchise QB like Kelly.

My lord, why are we crying now about how we got here and not drafting Jackson. Just like with Mahomes, I highly doubt Jackson would look anywhere near as good in Buffalo as he does in Baltimore with Greg Roman, RG3, Harbaugh. Just like Mahomes wouldn't look nearly as good in Buffalo if he didn't get a chance to sit for a year behind a former #1 overall draft pick at QB in Alex Smith. Nor would he look at good if he wasn't developed under offensive genius Andy Reid. 

I'l extremely happy the Bills are currently 7-3 with Josh Allen at QB, Tre White at CB while looking like the playoffs are in the near future. I'm also happy McD is at HC and Brandon Bean is the GM. It is what it is, and thinking about other possibilities is a waste of my time.

If you want to think back on stupid moves...how about two first round draft picks and a fourth rounder to move up draft a WR when the team didn't already have their franchise QB was so very utterly moronic. Not to mention that despite the talent in this WR, he is so often injured he has never realized the value of being drafted where he was drafted. 

The Bills could have drafted Khalil Mack who was actually worthy of two firsts, or WR Mike Evans who looks like he will be a future HoFer. Or, the Bills could have stood pat and drafted Odell Beckham Jr or anyone of the 15 first rounders who have been pro bowlers. 

Like I said, I'm happy the Bills are currently 7-3 and I'm also not looking back. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Pete said:

I love Josh, and I'm happy he is the Bills QB.  That being said, me, and several others lobbied to hold onto all our draft picks, trade back if anything, and stand pat and draft Lamar Jackson.  We got ridiculed by many.

Alphadawg created a whole thread, The Case For Lamar Jackson.

Let the record state on 3/28/18- I am extremely against trading up into top 6 for QB- and massively overpaying.  The opportunity cost of squandering picks 12, 22, 53, 56, 65, 96 and a 2019 1st(which will be a high draft pick if we sacrifice drafts for a rookie QB).  Impact players that the Bills could miss out on(and whom would instantly upgrade Bills starters) include:

Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea, Tremaine Edmunds, Isiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Billy Price, Frank Ragnow, Denzel Ward, Lamar Jackson, Ronald Jones, Guice,  Vander Esch, James Washington, Cortland Sutton, Mike Hughes, Nick Chubb, Marcus Davenport, Mata’afa, Rashan Evans, Taven Bryan, Harrison Phillips, Josh Jackson, Christian Kirk, Hayden Hurst, Payne, Equanemius, Baker, Sam Hubbard, Ballage, etc.

Imagine if we stayed pat(or even better traded back)- the depth we would have on this team. Moral of the story- don't trade up, keep your picks,stockpile draft picks, let the board come to you

We could have 7 of the above and all our draft picks.  Or we can risk it all on a QB ad give all that up.

Please revisit and either give me **** or give me props.  Peace out

You know you don't want us to give you $#'!, you want us to give you props. Go pat your own back. Oh, look , you already did. Feel better now?

Edited by Dopey

8 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Let’s revisit this in 5 years. The style of quarterback Lamar plays has shown it doesn’t have a long shelf life. 

this is irrelevant bc if Lamar gets a SB ring in those 5 years and Allen doesn't it won't matter 

Lamar looked terrible in the playoffs last year. Let's see how he does going forward. My opinion is he is a system QB. Eventually defenses will catch up to that offense and force him to play as a traditional QB. Happens to every QB in the league.

We've had amazing, one hit wonder QB's in the past. RGIII looked like an elite QB. Kaepernick looked like an elite QB for a year or two. They both were swept away, one partly by injury, and the other because defenses adjusted.

I think Josh Allen has good potential as a passer. That's why I think we made the right pick. Jackson might have a good couple years, but eventually defenses will adjust and we will then see if he is really that good or not.

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

Also, Lamar isn’t who he is right now if he’s not playing in that Roman offense.  Right place, right time. 

Isn't that half the battle in the NFL. Lot's of players star or wash out because of coaching and the system they play in. Lamar is definitely a case of lightning striking at the perfect time, but the truth is that he still playing at an incredibly high level and elevating the team around him. Let's hope Josh does the same for a lot longer.

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah a lot of conclusions but no one-size-fits-all.

Teams that trade down win more?   Well why do you trade down?  Because you don't need a perceived cornerstone prospect.......which means you are likely starting out from a better position.   Right?   Browns tried the Jimmy Johnson method.  They have traded down like crazy in recent years and it's netted tons of picks and mostly garbage.    Patriots trade down and win. 

Bottom line is you gotta draft well and trade well and handle FA well.

And if you do none of those things well you can still probably field a 7-9 team if you don't try to make any sudden moves on the field(Jauron Ball).

I hear you. But it’s a statistical look at the past. Unlike how having hindsight here is chastised.  

19 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

In my opinion, if you get a true franchise QB, there is no such thing as over paying.   

NFL GMs agree!   In the years 2016-2018 there were 11 1st round QBs taken and 10 of them were acquired via a trade up in the draft to get them.  

• Thank you (+1) 1