revisiting 2018 draft possibilities. Did we overpay?

Pete

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  Where did I say the sky was falling?  I was never against trading up, i was against trading a bounty into the top 5.

I liked Lamar and was fine staying put and taking him.  But by the time draft night came around, Allen was #2 on my board behind Baker and was quite fine with the trade up we did do.  I don’t feel like it was too much to get the guy they coveted.  Top 5 would have cost both our firsts (so no Edmunds) and possible our next years 1 or 2.  Did not want to pay that much.  

I did not want to give up what it would take to get inside top 5 though, nor did we need to.  I said all the way leading up to draft that neither Giants or Broncos would take a QB and that only 2 QBs would go top 5 and we didn’t need to trade that high.

I didn't go back and look at the original post (or your entire body of posting pre-draft 2018), just worked off of what OP poorly quoted.  My post was based on the assumption that you believed a QB worth trading up for would only be available in the top 5 and we'd have to pay the premium to get him. 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Let’s revisit this in 5 years. The style of quarterback Lamar plays has shown it doesn’t have a long shelf life. 

Can’t you say the same for Allen though? In fact, Allen has missed more games than Jackson in his career.  But it’s way to early for this though. 

but it’s not too early to say how terrible trading up for Zay and not staying put and taking JuJu or Kupp was! ?

40 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Constant.

No one loves looking backward more than Bills fans.

You really think Bills fans are the only ones to do this? 

Finding a franchise QB trumps all of that IMO. For once, the Bills actually positioned themselves to take a gamble on that elusive (potential) replacement to Kelly....

In hindsight, it's easy to say that the Bills would be ok if they didn't trade away picks and instead drafted from the list of players in the OP, but back then it was still guessing. And many of those players look the way they do because of the team and system they play in. They all wouldn't necessarily be the same player in Buffalo. That may be especially true for Lamar Jackson, who has Greg Roman as OC and is having his 3rd go around with a mobile QB in the NFL as OC. 

That would also mean going into 2018 with AJ McCarron as starter. No one knows how he would play as a full time starter, but there's a reason he hasn't cracked "backup duty" other than due to injury in the NFL. So if we can use hindsight here, it's pretty safe to assume that the Bills probably aren't doing too much damage with those young draft picks and McCarron. McDermott may have afforded himself an extra year by making the playoffs in year one, but his job still hangs in the balance of the results on the field.

I have a hard time imagining the Bills winning more than 7-9 games last year with McCarron/Peterman/insert journeyman, and probably a similar record this year. Before you know it, it's 2020 (year 4), and you still don't have a franchise QB or success on the field. McBeane get the ax, and many of those prized players that were drafted with all of those picks (instead of being aggressive and hedging your bets on a rookie QB prospect and MLB in 2018) get tired of losing and "same ole Bills", and end up leaving in free agency the first chance they get. Instead, the Bills stuck to the plan that they started with, and so far, it's paid off. 

45 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I hate this argument.  If a guy can play he could play, stop it with the BS of oh he is in the perfect environment that is why he is good crap.  Same thing with mahomes.  Mahomes would be successful on any team in the league because he is super talented. 

This is flat out not true. If we had drafted him and started him in 2017 he would have been ruined. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

He went last for a reason.  Stop with the hindsight.  It was one of the most QB needy drafts in recent memory and everyone passed on him. 

Also, Lamar isn’t who he is right now if he’s not playing in that Roman offense.  Right place, right time. 

Absurdly low wonderlic, vanilla offense, low velocity throws - there were red flags.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I love Josh, and I'm happy he is the Bills QB.  That being said, me, and several others lobbied to hold onto all our draft picks, trade back if anything, and stand pat and draft Lamar Jackson.  We got ridiculed by many.

Alphadawg created a whole thread, The Case For Lamar Jackson.

Let the record state on 3/28/18- I am extremely against trading up into top 6 for QB- and massively overpaying.  The opportunity cost of squandering picks 12, 22, 53, 56, 65, 96 and a 2019 1st(which will be a high draft pick if we sacrifice drafts for a rookie QB).  Impact players that the Bills could miss out on(and whom would instantly upgrade Bills starters) include:

Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea, Tremaine Edmunds, Isiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Billy Price, Frank Ragnow, Denzel Ward, Lamar Jackson, Ronald Jones, Guice,  Vander Esch, James Washington, Cortland Sutton, Mike Hughes, Nick Chubb, Marcus Davenport, Mata’afa, Rashan Evans, Taven Bryan, Harrison Phillips, Josh Jackson, Christian Kirk, Hayden Hurst, Payne, Equanemius, Baker, Sam Hubbard, Ballage, etc.

Imagine if we stayed pat(or even better traded back)- the depth we would have on this team. Moral of the story- don't trade up, keep your picks,stockpile draft picks, let the board come to you

We could have 7 of the above and all our draft picks.  Or we can risk it all on a QB ad give all that up.

Please revisit and either give me **** or give me props.  Peace out

I will say that way too many people completely wrote off Lamar and Josh. I felt that at the time. People talked about Darnold, Baker and Rosen as though they were almost certain to pan out. Maybe this is just my memory but I seem to remember the Mahomes and Watson QB class as derided by comparison- everyone said that the next class would be superior. Mahomes was just an air raid QB and Watson was too small and a product of Clemson  I would say as of now many of the pieces I read about many of these guys were wrong although it does make a huge difference where they end up and their supporting cast.

@Pete  To your point about the guys they could have got if they hadn't traded up? I see a few guys who have been disappointing on that list. Equaneimeous, Ballage, Price, Bryan. Some of them don't even make sense-are you going to drop Poyer or Hyde for Derwin James? Isn't that a wasted pick with so many other holes?

My feeling is even of you didn't like the 2018 draft it made.sense in terms of  an overall strategy, so even of the picks don't pan out I can get behind it.

Sometimes I think we overthink these things, and hold GMs to a ridiculously high standard.

These guys aren't psychics.

Brandon Beane stepped onto a team without a franchise QB, and he correctly identified we needed one to become a winning team.

At that point, his job was to identify which QB(s) had the best chance to reach that level, and then get into a position to draft him.

He anticipated we may need additional draft capitol to get into that position, and started making moves in advance to obtain it.

Prior to the 2017 season, he didn't know when we would be drafting.  He didn't know exactly which QBs would declare and were going to be available.  Even once the draft order was set, there was still no way for him to predict what the other 31 teams were going to do, or exactly what draft slot he needed to be in to get the guy he wanted.  And even if he also liked Lamar Jackson and was comfortable taking him as Plan B to Josh Allen, he couldn't have predicted whether either guy would be available outside the Top 10.  Don't forget there were other QB-needy teams looking to trade-up.

In my opinion, Beane should be judged on whether Allen turns out to be a franchise QB.  Period.

If he doesn't and Jackson does - then I think we can level some criticism.  

Anything else is asking him to predict the future, which is obviously impossible.

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Wait, what?  We picked 7, 16, 96 in the first three rounds of 2018 and at 9 in the first in 2019.  So we essentially traded 12, 22, 53, 56, and 65 for 7 and 16 (we also got 154 [Siran Neal] from BAL but we're just talking first three rounds I guess).

So we have Allen, Edmunds, Harrison Phillips.  Are there a couple of guys in that list above I'd love to add?  Sure, and we might have gotten a couple of them had we stood pat and kept the extra three picks (maybe even still getting Edmunds and Phillips!).  There's also a few that look like busts at the moment.  I don't think the sky fell quite like Alphadawg thought it might by trading up. 

Taron Johnson in the 4th in addition to Neal.  We also drafted Teller in the 5th, who we then moved with a 2021 7th for 5th and 6th rounders in 2020.  So we got our starting QB, MLB, rotational DT, NCB, Backup NCB and lead gunner, and a guy we flipped for 2 more picks.... thats a pretty solid draft no?  

When we were approaching the draft, I theorized that we were sandbagging and going for Lamar.  

But I think they got the guy they wanted.  And, thanks to Cleveland not taking Chubb, he dropped to Denver, and we only had to give up one of our first rounders to get Josh Allen.  Excellent.  We used that pick and another to trade up for Edmunds.  Excellent.

How would you like to be the guy who traded up for Trubisky?  They gave up the 3rd pick, #67, #111, and a 3rd rounder in the next draft.....to move up one slot.  I don't think San Fran was going to draft Trubisky.  By the way, the 49ers got their tight end, George Kittle, with the 146th pick.  Why didn't we draft that guy?  

It's all a crap shoot.  I know there is absolutely nothing original about that statement.  Jason Peters was an UDFA tight end from Arkansas.  Life goes on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TC in St. Louis said:

When we were approaching the draft, I theorized that we were sandbagging and going for Lamar.  

But I think they got the guy they wanted.  And, thanks to Cleveland not taking Chubb, he dropped to Denver, and we only had to give up one of our first rounders to get Josh Allen.  Excellent.  We used that pick and another to trade up for Edmunds.  Excellent.

How would you like to be the guy who traded up for Trubisky?  They gave up the 3rd pick, #67, #111, and a 3rd rounder in the next draft.....to move up one slot.  I don't think San Fran was going to draft Trubisky.  By the way, the 49ers got their tight end, George Kittle, with the 146th pick.  Why didn't we draft that guy?  

It's all a crap shoot.  I know there is absolutely nothing original about that statement.  Jason Peters was an UDFA tight end from Arkansas.  Life goes on.

Yeah - we could have just - drafted mahomes in 2017 too... He already won an MVP and isn't just the flavor of the month at the moment.  Or watson.  

You literally do not know who is going to be good or bad at draft time.  Mayfield shredded as much as watson did in college - and he's struggling this year.  Murray is plugged into an O that is basically the same as his college O - with vastly different results.  Mahomes came from an air raid offense of throwing the ball 70 times a game (remember when he threw for 734 yards and 7 TDs against oklahoma?  Yeesh)  His "hero ball" seems to always work for whatever reason too.