revisiting 2018 draft possibilities. Did we overpay?

Pete

32 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Let’s revisit this in 5 years. The style of quarterback Lamar plays has shown it doesn’t have a long shelf life. 

I agree, I always thought he would be successful for 4 year then either get injured or lose a step. Now if he wins a Super Bowl this year he is definitely a worthy pick. He does have a knack for avoiding hits so maybe he will be the next Vick.

Hindsight is how you learn from mistakes.  please stop w the oversimplified dumb statements. 
I’m completely against trading up at any point.  This doesn’t mean I don’t support or like Allen. 

Edited by nedboy7

42 minutes ago, Virgil said:

He went last for a reason.  Stop with the hindsight.  It was one of the most QB needy drafts in recent memory and everyone passed on him. 

Also, Lamar isn’t who he is right now if he’s not playing in that Roman offense.  Right place, right time. 

I hate this argument.  If a guy can play he could play, stop it with the BS of oh he is in the perfect environment that is why he is good crap.  Same thing with mahomes.  Mahomes would be successful on any team in the league because he is super talented. 

Edited by Gordio

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

I hate this argument.  If a guy can play he could play, stop it with the BS of oh he is in the perfect environment that is why he is good crap.  Same thing with mahomes.  Mahomes would be successful on any team in the league because he is super talented. 

And your evidence for this is....

Hindsight always assumes identical outcomes without considering all the factors. Lamar would not be doing here, what he is in Baltimore, period 

4 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Drew Brees begs to differ with you, Alex Smith as well

5 minutes ago, Gordio said:

No one is arguing Mahomes wouldn't be good with different teams around him what people argue is that he wouldn't have the gaudy stats that he's gotten playing on a team with so many weapons.

The argument about Lamar is different his offense is unique and seems very tailored to his unique playstyle. So I don't think it's ridiculous to say he wouldn't be doing near as well in a different system.

Here's how I think we need to look at it. If Josh becomes a 10-15 year franchise guy then it was worth it. If not, then no. Lamar is going to give you 5-8 years playing this style. That's why he fell. If your argument is no one saw this coming from him then I call BS. He was electric in college and won the Heisman. It seemed pretty clear at the time you could build your offense around his skill set and win right away in this modern NFL where you can't hit people.   

We picked Josh for the long-term upside. The issue is most guys who don't show glimpses of being a franchise QB within the first two years rarely ever get there. Hopefully Josh can buck the trend.

Edited by VW82

55 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I don't think the sky fell quite like Alphadawg thought it might by trading up. 

Huh?  Where did I say the sky was falling?  I was never against trading up, i was against trading a bounty into the top 5.

I liked Lamar and was fine staying put and taking him.  But by the time draft night came around, Allen was #2 on my board behind Baker and was quite fine with the trade up we did do.  I don’t feel like it was too much to get the guy they coveted.  Top 5 would have cost both our firsts (so no Edmunds) and possible our next years 1 or 2.  Did not want to pay that much.  

I did not want to give up what it would take to get inside top 5 though, nor did we need to.  I said all the way leading up to draft that neither Giants or Broncos would take a QB and that only 2 QBs would go top 5 and we didn’t need to trade that high.

Edited by Alphadawg7

58 minutes ago, Pete said:

3/28/18 is not hindsight brother

This is hindsight so do you give kc crap cause they traded up for mahomes. Cause they could of stayed pat and drafted defensive players 

27 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Hindsight is how you learn from mistakes.  please stop w the oversimplified dumb statements. 
I’m completely against trading up at any point.  This doesn’t mean I don’t support or like Allen. 

No not true at all. The draft is a gamble with hits and misses at every turn. Never know what you get till you get it