OT-so i'm reading stadium wall

10 minutes ago...a neighbor tells me "someone just hit your truck". My words "ahh sh--". So I look and a couple of old people are by the truck and my front bumper is layin on the ground, I take a look at their car and notice the passenger door is completely ripped off, the part that closes is still intacted but the shell, the nice part is by then in his trunk. They werent very clear as to tellin me how exactly it happened, just "we hit it". I was parked in the street (obviously) so they sideswiped I guess, but whats funny is HOW? The bumber only comes out maybe 2 inches from the side and the way it seems is they must have for some reason turned to the right a little to avoid oncomin traffic then boom, no bumper for me. He didnt wanna go through his insurance company, said because they are "older" and questions about his ability to drive (straight i guess) might come into question, I wasnt gonna be an ass and insist on it since he said "I'll pay for the bumper myself", that was enough for me so I just took his info and his word, then with the bumper on my shoulder headed in the house.

I hope you got the licence number and filed a police report. Doesn't matter if they want to pay for it, if you don't have documentaion your are !@#$ed. Unless of courdse you have trustworthy old people, which is also a possibility.

I hope you got the licence number and filed a police report. Doesn't matter if they want to pay for it, if you don't have documentaion your are !@#$ed. Unless of courdse you have trustworthy old people, which is also a possibility.

Don't trust anyone. My standard line is "no offense, it's not that I don't trust you; I don't trust anyone."

Bummer.

I thought you were going to end up saying something like,

"Yeah, I went to the front door and it was Mike Mularkey with seven naked chicks and they were carrying on like you wouldn't believe. They got me high and I forgot all about the fact that they wrecked my truck..."

Bummer. Sorry to hear that.

The Chief of Police in our town told us to be on the lookout for roving gangs of senior citizens. They've become such a problem in the area, that they are thinking of putting in a curfew. You're lucky all you lost was your bumper.

Little legal advice here: You should report the incident to your auto carrier for your own protection. While this is highly unlikely, in the event one of those folks comes down with the tried and true cervical or lumbar injury as a result of running into your truck or decides to pursue a PD claim for damage incurred as a result of the collision, your insurance company might try to avoid defending you against their claim (as your policy requires it to do) unless you provide timely notice of the incident. Hate to be that guy and screw the old folks, but it's in your best interests to advise the insurance company of the incident, no matter how unlikely it is that you did anything wrong.

Bad move.  Usually the "my insurance will go up" stories end up screwing you.  With no fault on your part (except for parking on the street), you were well within your right to at least call the cops.

301165[/snapback]

Yeah I really dont like to park in the street but I got another in the driveway. From the responses it seems I should have at least wrote down his lisence #. It was the old people part that got me I guess and unless I'm shot, callin the cops is the very last thing on my mind. I'll find out tomorrow when I call, if I get a "sorry this number has been disconnected" then I'll feel like a douchebag, if not then no harm no foul.

Yeah I really dont like to park in the street but I got another in the driveway. From the responses it seems I should have at least wrote down his lisence #. It was the old people part that got me I guess and unless I'm shot, callin the cops is the very last thing on my mind. I'll find out tomorrow when I call, if I get a "sorry this number has been disconnected" then I'll feel like a douchebag, if not then no harm no foul.

Sorry, I didn't get it the first time that they were REALLY old. You might be okay. Let us know how the call goes tomorrow.

Little legal advice here:  You should report the incident to your auto carrier for your own protection.  While this is highly unlikely, in the event one of those folks comes down with the tried and true cervical or lumbar injury as a result of running into your truck or decides to pursue a PD claim for damage incurred as a result of the collision, your insurance company might try to avoid defending you against their claim (as your policy requires it to do) unless you provide timely notice of the incident.  Hate to be that guy and screw the old folks, but it's in your best interests to advise the insurance company of the incident, no matter how unlikely it is that you did anything wrong.

301183[/snapback]

"We were hit by that parked truck and may have excruciating back pain for the rest of our lives, Judge. All we're asking if 2 million for pain and suffering. If it had been a compact car it never would have hit us."

I would probably be a little tough to sue the owner of a legally parked vehicle because you were injured when you hit it. I agree that he needs to take some steps to protect himself so he doesn't end up having to foot the bill for his bumper repair.

"We were hit by that parked truck and may have excruciating back pain for the rest of our lives, Judge.  All we're asking if 2 million for pain and suffering.  If it had been a compact car it never would have hit us."

I would probably be a little tough to sue the owner of a leagally parked vehicle because you were injured when you hit it.

301202[/snapback]

You'd think that would be true, but its not. It wouldn't be too hard to find some scum ball ambulance chaser to take this case. It's not about who's right or wrong or justice, its all about the ducats $$$$ and thats it. Grandma got hit by a parked car? No problem ladies and gentlemen of the jury. If Chewbacca lived on Endor, you must convict!

RTB

This happened to my wife's car a little over a month ago.

Parked on the street, a limo drove by and took the front bumper off the car. The tire hit it just right so as to rip the bumper off from the edge of the wheel well.

Call the police, report the accident and get the insurance information from the person who hit your car.

This doesn't mean you should necessarily call your insurance company, yet.

Remember, you may want to trade in or sell your car someday, if you can keep this off your insurance record, it could help you , too. BUT.. By reporting to the police and getting the other person's insurance information, You have the option to report to your insurance company available to you if the person who hit you does not solve the issue to your satisfaction.

BTW: this is information the police officer gave to me at the time, and this is how it was handled.

As far as the other person coming back with a Bodily Injury claim; Your car was parked, and you were no where near it. Coming back to you on that is a stretch, pardon the pun. Unless your car was parked illegally, then that's another story. Still, it's a stretch.

I spoke to both the lady and old man driver earlier, I think this poor guy is gettin screwed by whoever his car guy is. He told me he's got to pay a minimum of $4000 to get his door panel fixed and put back on. 4 grand, thats seems huge to me but I dont really know anything about cars next to puttin in oil and gas. For myself, the damage is only costin me however much the bolts cost and the 20-30 dollars I'll shoot my man for puttin the bumper back on, I told the old guy not to worry about givin me any money and he said "thank you very much you lifted a huge burden off my chest". The bolts broke clean off, they were very rusty, so there wasnt any structural damage to the frame or anything like that. Now instead of me parkin 3 inches from the curb I better get it down to about 1 and a half, or better yet I'll do it Alabama style and pull that baby right up on my lawn.

I spoke to both the lady and old man driver earlier, I think this poor guy is gettin screwed by whoever his car guy is. He told me he's got to pay a minimum of $4000 to get his door panel fixed and put back on. 4 grand, thats seems huge to me but I dont really know anything about cars next to puttin in oil and gas. For myself, the damage is only costin me however much the bolts cost and the 20-30 dollars I'll shoot my man for puttin the bumper back on, I told the old guy not to worry about givin me any money and he said "thank you very much you lifted a huge burden off my chest". The bolts broke clean off, they were very rusty, so there wasnt any structural damage to the frame or anything like that. Now instead of me parkin 3 inches from the curb I better get it down to about 1 and a half, or better yet I'll do it Alabama style and pull that baby right up on my lawn.

302011[/snapback]

Wow, you fell for that?

:P