Any tips on getting out of jury duty?

Rudyc80

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta go in May and dont want to be chosen.....i cant afford to miss any time for my buisness.

any tips on how not to get chosen?

300567[/snapback]

you hate anyone who isn't white with blonde hair and blue eyes, don't you?

Seriously, though, whatever crime it is (and they'll tell you) let them know that it has happened to you in the past... For example, if your potentially going to be on a jury for a car jacking, tell them that you have been car jacked before...

I heard its not that easy to get out of jury duty and you really dont get a chance to tell some BS story. My buddy is a prosecuter and told me that. I think the best approach would to be honest and say you are selfemployed and cannot afford to miss work. I believe most cases dont even see court- there is some sort of settlement reached. I am 35 and have never served on jury duty. I have always wanted to and consider it my civic duty. I vote every election- I dont know how I have never been selected

Why would you want to get out of it? It is one of the things that make us a great country. Serve, be a willing member of the jury to hear both sides. If guilty keep the sick SOB out of society for a while. If innocent give him the chance. Better you then someone who will go in and vote guilty/not guilty based on color of skin, time of day, etc... Be aware, listen and be part of this great country.

Why would you want to get out of it?  It is one of the things that make us a great country.  Serve, be a willing member of the jury to hear both sides.  If guilty keep the sick SOB out of society for a while.  If innocent give him the chance.  Better you then someone who will go in and vote guilty/not guilty based on color of skin, time of day, etc...  Be aware, listen and be part of this great country.

300578[/snapback]

think he explained why he would want to get out of it... can't miss any time from his business. You can't live on $40 a day... especially if you're self employed and dont have a company paying you for your time away.

think he explained why he would want to get out of it... can't miss any time from his business. You can't live on $40 a day... especially if you're self employed and dont have a company paying you for your time away.

300580[/snapback]

And when the guy is found innocent because someone who is white votes him innocent just because he is white (or vice versa), blame yourself. Oh and when he comes back robs your business and shoots your ass, can you afford to take time off then, when you're dead? :D

I asked the DA several different questions about the crime and the person in question. The lawyers don't want someone who asks alot of questions or to be biased, so I was released and didn't have to serve. Thank god because it was a child molestation case. Bummer!

In other words, if you get a chance to speak, ask a ton of questions!! They will not like you and should get you out of it. Good luck. :D

300580[/snapback]

$40 a day!

It's $5 a day here in Nuevo Chersey. I've been called, but never was got on a case that didn't settle. You're asked to indicate on the summons when you return it if serving is a hardship. If the Court Clerks still bring him in, The Judge would probably let him go, but it would still cook a day or two and that would suck.

300580[/snapback]

Then that's what you tell them, and they will genererally give you a one-time waiver (NY anyway). I got out of it this way, for legitimate reasons, several years back.

A few months ago, I got the call and went in. Used up a morning.

Why would you want to get out of it?  It is one of the things that make us a great country.  Serve, be a willing member of the jury to hear both sides.  If guilty keep the sick SOB out of society for a while.  If innocent give him the chance.  Better you then someone who will go in and vote guilty/not guilty based on color of skin, time of day, etc...  Be aware, listen and be part of this great country.

300578[/snapback]

Well said. I agree.

$40 a day!

It's $5 a day here in Nuevo Chersey. I've been called, but never was got on a case that didn't settle. You're asked to indicate on the summons when you return it if serving is a hardship. If the Court Clerks still bring him in, The Judge would probably let him go, but it would still cook a day or two and that would suck.

300587[/snapback]

$30 bucks a day in Miami if it lasts three days or longer. $15 dollars a day if only one or two days long.

BTW. Parking isn't free.

Bingo. When I found out Iwas the only one there not getting paid, I made a plan for the next time. When I got the summons I immediately turned it over and on the back they give you space to explain why you could not serve, that's when I wrote that I was behind in my mortgage and could not afford to lose a days pay. Never heard another word. Most employer's will pay your wages, mine did not.

If this thread is a indicator of the general feelings in America, no wonder it is going to sh--.

300584[/snapback]

My JD stint starts on Mon. I have to call every night starting tomorrow to see if I am to report. I didn't even consider not attending, but then again, my employer is paying me.

How about that you are self employed, and the loss of income would affect you so much mentally that you would not be able to focus on the case properly. tehrefore your judgement would be impaired, because you would be pissed at both the defendant and plaintiff.

Tell them you've waited your whole life to be a jury foreman and you cant wait to lead the jury to the right verdict--even if they think the guy's innocent-- and you'd be willing to stay weeks in deliberation till they see how right you are. Boast how you can outlast anyone in a battle of wills.

Sorry, can't help anyone get out. Just me being me almost did it, though.

Judge: Do you think, after this trial is over, the defendant will be satisfied he received a fair and just decision?

CaWingNut: Well, I guess that depends on how it turns out, now doesn't it?

(Whole courtroom erupts in laughter)

Judge: (flustered) What I mean by that, juror #6, is that -

CaWingNut: Yes sir, I know what you mean. Yes, I believe so.

Got picked anyway (or maybe because of it). The lady who filed charges against the defendant took the stand and contradicted herself about 5 times before the prosecuter decided it was time to cry 'uncle'. The whole thing was over by the afternoon.

I gotta go in May and dont want to be chosen.....i cant afford to miss any time for my buisness.

300567[/snapback]

Don't worry Rudy, I've got your back. I'll be all over the littlest bit of Bills news (or lack) with a heaping helpin' of "The Dark Cloud."

Go have fun...that defendent is....well, you know.... :D

There's usually not much you can do to get out of jury duty, contrary to what most people think.

Financial hardship is generally not a reason for excuse unless it is extreme. Must judges will tell you that they are not willing to even discuss excuses for financial hardship.

Here's the way it goes. You meet in a big jury pool room and wait for your name or number to be called. They call 30 or so names/numbers and send you to a courtroom where they then put 12 people in the jury box. The judge comes out and asks some very specific questions to those in the jury box - mostly abouth whether you know any of the parties in the case, if you have a specific past experience or job, etc. The lawyers may get to ask a few questions. The judge then asks the jurors if they had an afirmative answer to any of the questions they had been asked and if you you do he'll ask you which one. In open court, under oath, you have to explain why you answered the way you did. If the judge feels this might be embarassing he'll take you to chambers to have you explain your answer. A few jurors may be excused and replaced and this continues until you have enough jurors and alternates to start the trial.

At no point do you really have a chance to stand up and start spinning a tale about how you hate blacks, how you love or hate guns, or say something radical to get thrown out. If you try and do this the judge is usually all over you (hey - they're not stupid) and forcefully reminds you that you are in court under oath - all of a sudden it's not so easy to take some sort of fake wacko position.

The last time I served I was self employed and didn't make any money for a week because I had to serve - I just had to suck it up and deal with it.

It really comes down to the luck of the draw for the most part. The good thing is that most cases are short - there's not an O.J. trial every day. The price we pay for living in a democracy.

I got called to serve in Essex County, New Jersey about a year and a half ago. I work in investment management sales for a small money manager in North Carolina (however, I live in NJ) and it was the worst possible time. They sent me to the jury room for a murder case and when they asked for hardship cases I told them that quite frankly it was a tough time for me professionally, I was not capable of focusing on this situation, I missed a couple of important meetings during the three days it took me to get to that point and let them know that I would be an empty juror - they let me out. I understand the whole civic duty thing, but that burden is not distributed evenly because some people are less dispensable at their jobs than others - either because of the company's size or the nature of the job. I've known people that have had to close retail businesses while they served on jury duty - they weren't paying me enough a day to cover gas.

I've been summoned for jury duty three times. The first time was for a murder case where a young talented basketball player, who was going to college on a scholarship, got involved in a drug deal that went "bad" and he shot and killed another young man (he was later found guilty). I sat there for two days, but was never interviewed. Once the jury was selected, I was excused and only had to call in afterwards. A second time, a robbery case, I was interviewed and when I was asked what my wife's employment was (she worked as a legal secretary for a large local firm at that time) I was immediately excused. The third time I simply told them that my wife worked as a legal secretary for another firm and was excused thru the mail.

300567[/snapback]

Well, it's pretty simple. They usually ask (after explaining the case) if anyone has a problem with something pertinent to the case.Simply say yes and raise your hand. They will call you into a room with the attorney(s) ask you to elaborate. For example, if the case is a lawsuit say something like" I believe these types of lawsuits are a large part of what is bringing our society down..." or something to that effect. Or if it's a murder case involving a black defendant tell them you are extremely prejudiced and were brought up to hate "those people" etc. They will NOT want you and you'll be dismissed. I've done this a couple times- just make yourself out to be some extremist nut case. It's a little acting job on your part, but it sure beats the inconvenience. I was dismissed both times with no questions asked. You really can not get out of reporting for that 1st day, but it's quite easy to get dismissed once your there. :devil:

There's usually not much you can do to get out of jury duty, contrary to what most people think.

Financial hardship is generally not a reason for excuse unless it is extreme. Must judges will tell you that they are not willing to even discuss excuses for financial hardship.

Here's the way it goes. You meet in a big jury pool room and wait for your name or number to be called. They call 30 or so names/numbers and send you to a courtroom where they then put 12 people in the jury box. The judge comes out and asks some very specific questions to those in the jury box - mostly abouth whether you know any of the parties in the case, if you have a specific past experience or job, etc. The lawyers may get to ask a few questions. The judge then asks the jurors if they had an afirmative answer to any of the questions they had been asked and if you you do he'll ask you which one. In open court, under oath, you have to explain why you answered the way you did. If the judge feels this might be embarassing he'll take you to chambers to have you explain your answer. A few jurors may be excused and replaced and this continues until you have enough jurors and alternates to start the trial.

At no point do you really have a chance to stand up and start spinning a tale about how you hate blacks, how you love or hate guns, or say something radical to get thrown out. If you try and do this the judge is usually all over you (hey - they're not stupid) and forcefully reminds you that you are in court under oath - all of a sudden it's not so easy to take some sort of fake wacko position.

The last time I served I was self employed and didn't make any money for a week because I had to serve - I just had to suck it up and deal with it.

It really comes down to the luck of the draw for the most part. The good thing is that most cases are short - there's not an O.J. trial every day. The price we pay for living in a democracy.

300743[/snapback]

You're wrong. I took a "fake " extremist position two times and was dismissed immediately both times. It's NOT hard at all. :devil:

If this thread is a indicator of the general feelings in America, no wonder it is going to sh--.

300584[/snapback]

F**K that ! There's no shortage of population with plenty of time on their hands to sit on some jury. I just don't happen to be one of them. There are actually people out there who relish the idea of jury duty and really get into it. Let them do it then. What's so difficult about that? The system is better off with enthusiastic jurors who can devote their energy to it, not someone who doesn't want to be there and is losing money. Ever think that maybe THIS is the person you don't want on the jury, as they may be motivated by outside factors to bring a swift resolution to the case? :devil:

300743[/snapback]

Here in San Diego I was excused right away for telling them the truth that I am self employed and it would be a financial hardship to serve on a jury. In fact they have never called me since. Knock on wood.

F**K that ! There's no shortage of population with plenty of time on their hands to sit on some jury. I just don't happen to be one of them. There are actually people out there who relish the idea of jury duty and really get into it. Let them do it then. What's so difficult about that? The system is better off with enthusiastic jurors who can devote their energy to it, not someone who doesn't want to be there and is losing money. Ever think that maybe THIS is the person you don't want on the jury, as they may be motivated by outside factors to bring a swift resolution to the case? :lol:

300782[/snapback]

Ladies and gentleman, I present exhibit A. :devil: