Massive sextortion attack running wild, security firm says

ALF

Here’s a sample of a sextortion email created by the spam bot, as provided by Check Point:

“Hi, I know one of your passwords is: {password}

Your computer was infected with my private malware…My malware gave me full access to all your accounts (see password above), full control over your computer and it also was possible to spy on you over your webcam.

I collected all your private data and I RECORDED YOU (through your webcam) SATISFYING YOURSELF!

I can publish the video of you and all your private data on the whole web, social networks, over email of all contacts."

Sextortion is a growing threat. In 2018, the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center received 51,146 extortion-related complaints with adjusted losses of over $83 million, a 242 percent increase from 2017.

At the root of the campaign is a botnet currently operating on more than 450,000 infected hosts, according to a new report from Check Point Research, an IT security firm.

The botnet – a network of malicious computers – spits out millions of sextortion threats, as many as 30,000 per hour, Check Point said

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/massive-sextortion-attack-running-wild

One response is interesting if possible

If they were legitimately able to hack your computer then why not just go into your bank account and wire the money to themselves?

Edited by ALF

Some ass sent me a similar email.  Only problem is, my camera is always blocked.  I just ignore the email.  Its funny because they follow up a few weeks later with "Why are you ignoring me!  I am serious!"  lol.

Edited by bdutton

3 minutes ago, bdutton said:

Some ass sent me a similar email.  Only problem is, my camera is always blocked.  I just ignore the email.  Its funny because they follow up a few weeks later with "Why are you ignoring me!  I am serious!"  lol.

I get it every two weeks. You know who needs to get this email? Captain McGillicudy of the High Seas! He knew how to handle this stuff.

6 hours ago, ALF said:

Here’s a sample of a sextortion email created by the spam bot, as provided by Check Point:

“Hi, I know one of your passwords is: {password}

Your computer was infected with my private malware…My malware gave me full access to all your accounts (see password above), full control over your computer and it also was possible to spy on you over your webcam.

I collected all your private data and I RECORDED YOU (through your webcam) SATISFYING YOURSELF!

I can publish the video of you and all your private data on the whole web, social networks, over email of all contacts."

Sextortion is a growing threat. In 2018, the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center received 51,146 extortion-related complaints with adjusted losses of over $83 million, a 242 percent increase from 2017.

At the root of the campaign is a botnet currently operating on more than 450,000 infected hosts, according to a new report from Check Point Research, an IT security firm.

The botnet – a network of malicious computers – spits out millions of sextortion threats, as many as 30,000 per hour, Check Point said

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/massive-sextortion-attack-running-wild

One response is interesting if possible

If they were legitimately able to hack your computer then why not just go into your bank account and wire the money to themselves?

"Oh yeah?  Well, if that's true, you have me on video, then tell me...what color was the duck?"

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I get it every two weeks. You know who needs to get this email? Captain McGillicudy of the High Seas! He knew how to handle this stuff.

let someone try that crap on me, and if they dare show that footage I'll sue the crap out of them for theft of intellectual property.

• Haha (+1) 1