Our Government at Work

Could ANY private sector business survive for sixty days if business was conducted in the manner illustrated in the YouTube referenced below? No matter the political persuasion, no matter the topic under consideration, this is just a micro look at the people we vote for election after election.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Governments are different from businesses. Also even in your analogy if you have ever worked for a gigantic corporation you would know that half the time one entity has no clue what another entity is doing. I worked for a Fortune 500 company and the organization in that company was such a mess (it is almost as though the larger an entity becomes the more waste, bureaucracy and procedure bogs things down.) While working for that company I once received and empty FedEx and worked with someone who literally played Solitare all day doing nothing collecting a check because he got soaked up into 3 different departments with 4 different supervisors who all assumed that he was doing work for one of the other people that were supposed to be supervising him. 

I just find it to be a hack argument to think that infighting and inefficiency do not exist in the private sector. In the opposite way where super liberal people will place an idealized version of government conservatives will almost anoint the private sector infallible as though comparing a tightly run small business is comparable to a state or federal government. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Governments are different from businesses. Also even in your analogy if you have ever worked for a gigantic corporation you would know that half the time one entity has no clue what another entity is doing. I worked for a Fortune 500 company and the organization in that company was such a mess (it is almost as though the larger an entity becomes the more waste, bureaucracy and procedure bogs things down.) While working for that company I once received and empty FedEx and worked with someone who literally played Solitare all day doing nothing collecting a check because he got soaked up into 3 different departments with 4 different supervisors who all assumed that he was doing work for one of the other people that were supposed to be supervising him. 

I just find it to be a hack argument to think that infighting and inefficiency do not exist in the private sector. In the opposite way where super liberal people will place an idealized version of government conservatives will almost anoint the private sector infallible as though comparing a tightly run small business is comparable to a state or federal government. 

The point is that we ELECT the idiots we continue to send to represent us in  DC; chances are you never ELECTED the corporate buffoons you refer to above.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I too work for a Fortune 500 company, but ours is successful while apparently, yours is about to go belly up... 

We STRESS communication on ALL levels in so much as I know my boss job, and she knows mine enough we can fill in for each other, like this week, while I'm off... Also, if we see a problem, we immediately bring it up so it can be fixed.

In government, and where you work, you accept the ineptitude and problems caused by it.. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

The point is that we ELECT the idiots we continue to send to represent us in  DC; chances are you never ELECTED the corporate buffoons you refer to above.

I think the issue is we rarely see our elected officials “at work”. We don’t know what they do on a daily basis. I have no ***** clue. If I told you I was a Chef you’d have a pretty good idea what I did every day. If we knew what their day consisted of and how they conducted themselves I imagine we’d be horrified. 

Large organizations do inherently have issues.  This is one reason the Federal government was purposely designed to be small.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I think the issue is we rarely see our elected officials “at work”. We don’t know what they do on a daily basis. I have no ***** clue. If I told you I was a Chef you’d have a pretty good idea what I did every day. If we knew what their day consisted of and how they conducted themselves I imagine we’d be horrified. 

Read, talk on the phone, trade favors, and boss around staffers, for the most part.  

I too work for a fortune 500 company - a massive one. One thing we've been good at over the last 20 years or so is cutting excessive waste wherever we can, abandoning old technology and reducing workforce wherever able. A company that does otherwise is inefficient and will likely not survive.

What you're calling a hack argument or infighting by those elected officials isn't even that; it's fabricated drama for show and propaganda, and I think Keukasmallies' original point is a valid one. If our government was staffed only to fill necessary positions and required to do only it's job as described then there might be a bit less theater. 

26 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

That circus that took place should  be embarrassing to every American regardless of political ideology.

We are "led" by incompetent ass holes that revel in the fact they're incompetent ass holes.

The party of Al Franken & Maxine Watters people.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Wasn't nearly as bad as those totally stupid (Six of them?) Benghazi hearings that produced nothing 

What??  They produced roaring laughter from the likes of you.  At first I thought the hearings had a laugh track and then I realized it was coming from a live audience.  

20 hours ago, Azalin said:

I too work for a fortune 500 company - a massive one. One thing we've been good at over the last 20 years or so is cutting excessive waste wherever we can, abandoning old technology and reducing workforce wherever able. A company that does otherwise is inefficient and will likely not survive.

What you're calling a hack argument or infighting by those elected officials isn't even that; it's fabricated drama for show and propaganda, and I think Keukasmallies' original point is a valid one. If our government was staffed only to fill necessary positions and required to do only it's job as described then there might be a bit less theater. 

I think that given that in any multi-party system there will almost always be a high degree of theather because there will inherently be conflict and little resolution when there is no CEO that can fire at will and strong arm subordinates. The US federal government is many sections working often times in conflict with one another. Given that you have two political parties whose views as to what the government should be doing then I think you are always going to have theater. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think that given that in any multi-party system there will almost always be a high degree of theather because there will inherently be conflict and little resolution when there is no CEO that can fire at will and strong arm subordinates. The US federal government is many sections working often times in conflict with one another. Given that you have two political parties whose views as to what the government should be doing then I think you are always going to have theater. 

Yeah, I suppose the theatrics are pretty much unavoidable.