Clarifying the Buffalo Bills roster status with running back Christian Wade

HOUSE

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

There will be over 50 RBs waived at the final 53, I think he is safe on the PS- JMO

He is learning his first scheme with Buffalo - if another team signs him he will almost be starting from scratch.  He does not have the experience to quickly learn like a payer who has played since they were 5 and have been in multiple systems.

He needs a year to learn pass protection, route running, how to move without the ball, etc to be a real NFL back.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:53 PM, Just Joshin' said:

He is learning his first scheme with Buffalo - if another team signs him he will almost be starting from scratch.  He does not have the experience to quickly learn like a payer who has played since they were 5 and have been in multiple systems.

He needs a year to learn pass protection, route running, how to move without the ball, etc to be a real NFL back.

You would be surprised how quickly a rugby player would pick up football skills. Some of these guys have been playing 20 years, but a lot of these skills aren't exactly complex to a rugby player. Running different lines and different angles wouldn't take him long to pick up, in fact it's an innate skill in rugby players. They don't always run the same lines. You tell him where and when to run, he'll do it. Also how much game time and running with the ball does a running back have over his career? A 60 min game, with a defensive team and offensive team on a pitch 30% smaller than a rugby pitch compared with a rugby player who plays for 80mins straight with no break, doing offensive and defensive work on a 100m pitch. He's had a lot more "ball time" than your average football player. That TD and 45 yard break weren't flukes. He definitely has a lot to learn, but he isn't starting from scratch and isn't missing out on 20 years of experience. Run this line, accelerate, step/cut, beat your player, hand-off/fend, score. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/24/2019 at 8:44 AM, eanyills said:

He has no shot of making the team.

That's probably true, and mostly b/c he was thrust upon the Bills; they didn't go out and pick him.

If they had, he would get every chance and more to make the team.

Ask Peterman what I'm talking about.

They want him to clear waivers.  Who knows.  Week 4 of preseason is a steaming dumpster fire anyways.  I say to hell with it.  Give him 20 touches and see what he can do.  Have him return kicks give him 10 plus carrys and some passes out of the backfield.  The plays are ultra vanilla anyways.  

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

did you even think it might be a Rugby thing

The man is one of the best in Rugby and he handled the ball often.  

silly excuses are a cop out 

Nobody is denying his world class athletic talent.   But He even admitted he has the football knowledge of like a 10 year old

It takes ALOT MORE THAN PHYSICAL SKILL to succeed. There are plenty of times a ball carrier gets hit in the backfield so yea getting the handoff like a loaf of bread is an issue

He also needs to worry about protection which he hasn't learned yet. He's fast and strong but he needs to learn how to play RB. It's not easy

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wade has much to learn about NFL football and no one would argue that. 

Senorise Perry a "pro" fumbled twice in (1 in each) consecutive games and was ineffective on the goal line stand that he was in and I don't think he actually crossed got goal line from the 2 THREE times.

My point is lets not blast away at Wade when some Pro's play worse that him. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Nobody is denying his world class athletic talent.   But He even admitted he has the football knowledge of like a 10 year old

It takes ALOT MORE THAN PHYSICAL SKILL to succeed. There are plenty of times a ball carrier gets hit in the backfield so yea getting the handoff like a loaf of bread is an issue

He also needs to worry about protection which he hasn't learned yet. He's fast and strong but he needs to learn how to play RB. It's not easy

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Wade has much to learn about NFL football and no one would argue that. 

Senorise Perry a "pro" fumbled twice in (1 in each) consecutive games and was ineffective on the goal line stand that he was in and I don't think he actually crossed got goal line from the 2 THREE times.

My point is lets not blast away at Wade when some Pro's play worse that him. 

Christian Wade made 2 nice plays vs 3rd and 4th stringer's

I'm not even discounting that because to do that with so little time is amazing

They obviously didn't think he was worth a shot with the 1s or 2s yet tho

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Christian Wade made 2 nice plays vs 3rd and 4th stringer's

I'm not even discounting that because to do that with so little time is amazing

They obviously didn't think he was worth a shot with the 1s or 2s yet tho

The logic just isn't flowing your way.  Why are Perry and Singleterry getting love for playing scrubbs? 

data check - 

When was Singletary playing?  IMO - He didn't do well against the ones but played better as the game progressed.

When was Perry playing?  Again, not against the ones.  

29 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The logic just isn't flowing your way.  Why are Perry and Singleterry getting love for playing scrubbs? 

data check - 

When was Singletary playing?  IMO - He didn't do well against the ones but played better as the game progressed.

When was Perry playing?  Again, not against the ones.  

I don't think I was ever singing praises of Perry .

Listen buffalo fans always love a feel good story, but he isn't going to make the roster and there will be people here freaking out

Edited by Buffalo716