Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FLBillsGuy

Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, mmichii said:

he's old for a running back BUT he's never played American football.  he hasn't had all the wear and tear the body takes playing through highschool, college etc. also, this guy is an elite rugby player.  he is an elite athlete.  he may not have known what to do after he scored but flip it around and im sure almost every player on both sides would be just as clueless if they were playing rugby. all I know is I saw a guy take off like he was shot out of a cannon after he made that cut.  

Shot out of a cannon? ha! haven't heard that in years! It did look that way!

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Shot out of a cannon? ha! haven't heard that in years! It did look that way!

Well said. The wear and tear factor may not apply to Wade. I need to see more of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Shot out of a cannon? ha! haven't heard that in years! It did look that way!

Well said. The wear and tear factor may not apply to Wade. I need to see more of him.

Umm....did you just quote and compliment yourself at the same time? Not unheard of, but rare.   😋

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Augie said:

Umm....did you just quote and compliment yourself at the same time? Not unheard of, but rare.   😋

I like myself pretty much...but thats not what happened. Some times when I respond too quickly, they group together...has that happened to you? I responded to the other poster with a laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I like myself pretty much...but thats not what happened. Some times when I respond too quickly, they group together...has that happened to you? I responded to the other poster with a laugh.

 

I kid! Stuff happens! 

 

And I agree regarding the Wade wear and tear factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Augie said:

 

I kid! Stuff happens! 

Well anyway, I like myself, and I found the analogy "shot out of a cannon" funny! Yes, just from the brief glimpse of Wade, he appears preserved. 

Edited by Rocket94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rocket94 said:

Well anyway, I like myself, and I found the analogy "shot out of a cannon" funny! 

 

I take it you didn’t grow up in the circus? 

 

We lived in Sarasota, FL for 18 years before moving to Atlanta. Sarasota was home to Ringling Bros. My kids grew up with friends from Carnie families. You could drive down the road and see houses with trapezes and nets in the backyard. It was weird to me at first, but then it becomes normal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Augie said:

 

I take it you didn’t grow up in the circus? 

 

We lived in Sarasota, FL for 18 years before moving to Atlanta. Sarasota was home to Ringling Bros. My kids grew up with friends from Carnie families. You could drive down the road and see houses with trapezes and nets in the backyard. It was weird to me at first, but then it becomes normal.  

No...I was never pressured in to a life in the circus. Ha! My late grandfather liked the circus and I went with him a few times. Have your children kept in touch at all with the Carnies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

No...I was never pressured in to a life in the circus. Ha! My late grandfather liked the circus and I went with him a few times. Have your children kept in touch at all with the Carnies?

There were only a few that we knew. They all went to the same Catholic school. Yes, they are still loosely in the loop when my son gets back to town, but just if they cross paths. The older brothers buddy was about 5’10”, well over 300# and could bench 400+ without warming up. Brought a baby alligator to our house in a Dillards bag one night. I’ll generously call it....”character”. 

 

My wife grew up with a horse. Still loves the smell. If she had to shovel up after an elephant she might have lost interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Augie said:

There were only a few that we knew. They all went to the same Catholic school. Yes, they are still loosely in the loop when my son gets back to town, but just if they cross paths. The older brothers buddy was about 5’10”, well over 300# and could bench 400+ without warming up. Brought a baby alligator to our house in a Dillards bag one night. I’ll generously call it....”character”. 

 

My wife grew up with a horse. Still loves the smell. If she had to shovel up after an elephant she might have lost interest. 

That is definately an interesting family...different than the norm. My father owned horse farms all over NYS and he raced them. It was a different time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly. None of the 8 players have played football at even a D1 level

 

This is to acclimate top athletes to the game over a year period and see how they progress

 

He is certainly a great candidate for PS RB with his speed and quickness and vision

Just teach him to be a FB and cut Dimarco....problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Augie said:

 

I didn’t bother looking it up, but I thought he was 28, which with wear and tear adjustments might feel like 26. I’m not advocating for a guy I saw make one long run, just saying it was entertaining and I’d like to see more. Of course it’s a serious loooong shot. I just want to see a little more. Is that so wrong? 

 

EDIT: he just turned 28 in May. 

Yes, I said he was 28 earlier. That means he's only 2 years away from teams doubting his abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

It may seem that way. However, we all know that men age differently and Wade's legs have not been subjected to a prolonged NFL pounding. I don't know much about rugby...is it as gruelling on the body as NFL football?

 

The big difference between Rugby and American Football, is that in Rugby, we don't have different sets of players for offence, defence, special teams etc. The same 15 players stay on the field for the whole game, except when substituted by one of the 8 players on the bench.

 

In all the time I watched Wade play at Wasps, he hardly ever missed a game through injury, and was rarely substituted during an 80-minute game. He was often hit by, or tackled, some really big guys, but would bounce up again like a rubber ball. 

 

If there's any way he can make the 53 (and I'm as confused about the rules as everyone else seems to be), your head coach really should roll the dice, because you may just have a weapon that the other 31 NFL teams won't be used to defending against.

  • Thanks! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, bargepole said:

 

The big difference between Rugby and American Football, is that in Rugby, we don't have different sets of players for offence, defence, special teams etc. The same 15 players stay on the field for the whole game, except when substituted by one of the 8 players on the bench.

 

In all the time I watched Wade play at Wasps, he hardly ever missed a game through injury, and was rarely substituted during an 80-minute game. He was often hit by, or tackled, some really big guys, but would bounce up again like a rubber ball. 

 

If there's any way he can make the 53 (and I'm as confused about the rules as everyone else seems to be), your head coach really should roll the dice, because you may just have a weapon that the other 31 NFL teams won't be used to defending against.

Welcome from across the pond. To be honest with you, I am still confused myself. While I do understand that it is good for a player like Wade to be acclimated to the NFL game for a year, what if his performance in the pre season begs otherwise? I don't really know if the Bills can roll the dice.

Edited by Rocket94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MJS said:

He can't BE the 53 man roster. But he sure can MAKE the 53 man roster.

 

That's what they've been saying on the radio at least.

I know a lot of people have been questioning whether we'd keep five or six WRs, but here's how I see the 53 shaking out.

 

QB: Wade / Wade

 

RB: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

 

FB: Wade

 

OL: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

 

TE: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

 

WR: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

 

DL: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

 

LB: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

 

CB: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade 

 

S: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

 

LS: Wade

 

P: Wade

 

K: Wade

 

Don't forget that we also have 11 PS spots available as well:

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade (bonus international player allocation)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is he not eligible for the 53? Can’t teams sign basically anyone they want to, including clowns, house cats, Peterman, etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bargepole said:

One thing I can never quite understand, is when it gets to the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, and the team which is leading have the ball, they can eat up the clock by 'taking a knee for three downs. That seems to me to be deliberate time-wasting, and they should change the rules to penalise that.

 

That's part of the game.  If you couldn't outscore the team with the ball in the first 58+ minutes, oh well.  And I'm sure rugby has ways for the leading team to waste time during/at the end of matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skibum said:

How is he not eligible for the 53? Can’t teams sign basically anyone they want to, including clowns, house cats, Peterman, etc?

 

He can make the 53 out of camp. If he doesn’t he goes to the PS via the international program exemption. And he stays there for the year. 

 

I dont think he even is exposed to waivers to go to the PS. (Unless he initially makes the 53 the. It cut same rules as all players apply I believe)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see how he can do on PR and KR if he is sure handed or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll rain on the parade. Wade has zero chance of making the active roster this year.  I doubt he’ll ever make an active roster. 

 

Its a a great story and I admire the hell out of Wade for walking away from a sport he was fantastic at to start at the bottom in a totally new sport...but being a great athlete isn’t nearly enough to make a roster. The NFL is full of world class athletes who have played the sport their entire lives.

 

Throw Gurley or Zeke or any top tier RB into rugby and they’d have zero chance of making a team too.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Augie said:

 

OK.....he can be added as an EXTRA PS player if you wish. Might he also be eligible for one on the normal PS spots, and therefore eligible to bring up?  I don’t think this is very clear yet. 

I didn't believe that is possible, or I would have included it as option 'C'.

 

But I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Te rules are he can make the 53 roster out of training camp. If he doesn't he has to clear waivers. But any team that claims him has to put him on their 53 man roster. If no team claims him he reverts to or practice squad where we get an extra spot for him but he can not be activated to the 53 man roster all year.

 

 

*If a team does claim him then drop him from their 53 he also reverts back to our practice squad the rest of the year as well I believe. - This one I'm not positive about the rest I am sure of. Sal Capaccio covered this in tweets earlier in the offseason to get clarity on the situation but I don't know how to post tweets on this site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Bold to think.  When's the last time Buffalo had a guy break off a long TD run in the preseason?  Fred Jackson?  It's been a while I feel like.  Simplistic schemes and plays.  Wade showed alot of ability.  He looks like the most explosive back on the roster.  1 carry so who knows.  He has my attention.  Hes not a gimmick or waste of time.  The coaching, the leaders on the team need to get him to a level of understanding.  He shows more throughout the preseason I would find a way to put him on the team.  If he can catch, I would consider keeping 5 or 6 Wrs.  Now I would give him more carries the next couple of games to see how he handles contact.  He does that well color me intrigued.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...