Brussell Sprouts

Gugny

Why do they lop the "shire" off of Worcestershire sauce?  Why is Worcester pronounced "Wooster?"

Good thing the damn Yankee New Englanders with their God awful accents aren't running this country, they can stick to their own shire.

Now, Ohio... It's actually spelled Wooster... But Ohio has it's own set of problems, issues, & demons... Like @Cripple Creek, but we won't go there, he's just the tip of the iceberg.

Why is it: Da Moines, Iowa and Dess Plaines, Illinois for Des Moines & Des Plaines?  Hervé Villechaize never went to Illinois?

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No one says Brussels Sprouts.  You know why?  Because it's ***** dumb. 

And another thing.  If we pronounce cupboard, "cubberd," why isn't a clipboard a "clibberd?"

There are so many examples of this in English.

My first language is Farsi where every letter has 1 sound and there are no special rules and scilent letters. English is really a hard language to learn because of all the pointless rules.

54 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No one says Brussels Sprouts.  You know why?  Because it's ***** dumb. 

And another thing.  If we pronounce cupboard, "cubberd," why isn't a clipboard a "clibberd?"

Might at well just call them "feet" because that's what they smell like. 

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why do they lop the "shire" off of Worcestershire sauce?  Why is Worcester pronounced "Wooster?"

Good thing the damn Yankee New Englanders with their God awful accents aren't running this country, they can stick to their own shire.

Now, Ohio... It's actually spelled Wooster... But Ohio has it's own set of problems, issues, & demons... Like @Cripple Creek, but we won't go there, he's just the tip of the iceberg.

Why is it: Da Moines, Iowa and Dess Plaines, Illinois for Des Moines & Des Plaines?  Hervé Villechaize never went to Illinois?

Worcestershire is pronounced "Woost-uh-shire."  Who's lopping off the shire?

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why is Billerica  pronounced Bill Ricca ?

Why is Peabody Pea Buddy.

How fah to the cah 

10 minutes ago, CoachT said:

There are so many examples of this in English.

My first language is Farsi where every letter has 1 sound and there are no special rules and scilent letters. English is really a hard language to learn because of all the pointless rules.

Yet!  It is the most universal.  English is in every boardroom.  Because, it adopts, aquires, and evolves from other languages. It's always growing.  IMO, that's NOT complicated.

Kinda like a Southern Border with no wall.

Just saying. Go English!

"...The hardest to learn is the least complicated..."

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Worcestershire is pronounced "Woost-uh-shire."  Who's lopping off the shire?

Okay... Fair enough.  Still that pesky "woost" than. Where's the "r?"

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Mmmm Brussels Sprouts.

^ typed that without even thinkin' about it because I do say Brussels Sprouts, because that is what they are called as they are named after Brussels, BE.  You laugh when people write buffalo wings instead of Buffalo wings, dontchya? (Although I bet there are some people who think buffaloes have wings.)  Same thing here.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, you say brusselssprouts but you don’t say Brussels sprouts? This sound different to your ear in what way?

Yeah.  It's harder saying "prouts."

Sometimes @Gugny is really on The Moon. But, I think he's great!

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Brussell Sprouts 

I never use the "s" in Brussells 

Yeah... Sometimes!

Like lllinois.  When I read it, will say Illi-noise.  Just saying it, I will say it right.  Can't visualize the word, will say it wrong.

BTW, Illinois is the most mispronounced state. It's also the most misguided: Thnx Chicago!

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, you say brusselssprouts but you don’t say Brussels sprouts? This sound different to your ear in what way?

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Mmmm Brussels Sprouts.

^ typed that without even thinkin' about it because I do say Brussels Sprouts, because that is what they are called as they are named after Brussels, BE.  You laugh when people write buffalo wings instead of Buffalo wings, dontchya? (Although I bet there are some people who think buffaloes have wings.)  Same thing here.

I don't pronounce both, the last S in Brussels AND the first S in sprouts.

Does anyone?

It's one S.

And, BG, I love them, too.  Just had them (roasted) on Wednesday night with my steak.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Does anyone?

It's one S.

And, BG, I love them, too.  Just had them (roasted) on Wednesday night with my steak.

Yes.

Where do you come up with this stuff:

"Brussells prouts.

Like everyone else in 'murica."

Have you been training with @Turbosrrgood again. LoL...

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I like Brussels Sprouts and Asparapee (Asparagus) but I do not eat them frequently 

My Brussels sprouts have to be smothered in butter.

And overcooked...

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yet!  It is the most universal.  English is in every boardroom.  Because, it adopts, aquires, and evolves from other languages. It's always growing.  IMO, that's NOT complicated.

Kinda like a Southern Border with no wall.

Just saying. Go English!

"...The hardest to learn is the least complicated..."

Oh for sue the most influential today. I`m more speaking structurally. Too many letters make too many sounds lol and some don`t make any sound?? and things that are written almost exactly the same way are read differently. Like the word "read".

The Farsi that is spoken in Iran is much like English in the sense that it is a mix of different languages, including english. The Afghan Farsi is more the original Farsi. But it's still much easier to learn how to read. IMO

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Same reason Gloucester is pronounced Glouster in VA!

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Does anyone?

It's one S.

How long did it take you to come up with this gem?

You do pronounce the sssss, you, because you aren’t a native speaker, don’t pause, but you do in fact say it.

25 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

How long did it take you to come up with this gem?

You do pronounce the sssss, you, because you aren’t a native speaker, don’t pause, but you do in fact say it.

A pause between the words would be necessary in order to pronounce both esses.

I move that no one makes that pause.

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Second

I'm not sure "draw," is a New England thing.  My mother used to say "draw" for drawer and "mirrah" for mirror when I was young.  I think she got that from her parents, who were from the Bronx (after moving here from Puerto Rico).

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And that is exactly how it is said:

Brussels sprouts

Like @ShadyBillsFan said.  If anything:

Brussel sprouts

Nobody, I repeat nobody says:

prouts

That's insane!!! Impossible to say.  Taking the second "s" off is harder than saying both "esses."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not sure "draw," is a New England thing.  My mother used to say "draw" for drawer and "mirrah" for mirror when I was young.  I think she got that from her parents, who were from the Bronx (after moving here from Puerto Rico).

My neighbor from Cincinnati says wash as:

Worsh

I think that is a Pittsburgh-Ohio Valley thing.  They need to be sent some Asian carp!!!

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I’m sorry that you don’t understand.

I’ll now take the advice of a wise moderator person who sagely said

bless your little heart

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My neighbor from Cincinnati says wash as:

Worsh

I think that is a Pittsburgh-Ohio Valley thing.  They need to be sent some Asian carp!!!

My ex says warsh (she's from Albany).

That's why we got divorced.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

My ex says warsh (she's from Albany).

That's why we got divorced.

My daughter was in grade 4 and her teacher (older lady) said worsh/warsh.  My daughter, being coached earlier in life by two sage and linguistic poets (wife & I ), honed right in on the accent.  She said to her teacher: "You from Pittsburgh!" LoL... My daughter then threw me under the bus  when the teacher took umbrage to a young kid subtly mocking her.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1