Bills Training Camp Day 2 - 7/26

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree and have noticed the same thing 

So what exactly was McBeane's wording about McCoy?  Something about "we evaluated, and it wasn't ALL his fault?"  (emphasis mine)

Now I watched pretty much every freakin' running play in every game last season, trying to sort out why they didn't work.  Given the style of runner McCoy has been all his life, I would say it was 85% not his fault.   He has always been a "skills" runner with good field vision who finds and exploits the holes.  Only last year, there were no freakin' holes.  It was true that he didn't get 2-3 yds when he could have by just slamming into guys and churning his legs like Ivory did, but that was never his style.  It was also true that he started abandoning the play and trying to bounce outside, which he did in Philly at times - and he has probably lost a bit of the speed that makes that work, while Ds have gotten faster - I guess you could blame him for that, but Man!  There were no holes.

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I like that the nets have 3 different squares. Talk about pinpointing where the ball needs to be!

Impressive.

Yea but he hit the wrong square! 

#accuracyissues #wrongjosh #omgwtfbbq #idontknowhowtousepoundsigns

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what exactly was McBeane's wording about McCoy?  Something about "we evaluated, and it wasn't ALL his fault?"  (emphasis mine)

Now I watched pretty much every freakin' running play in every game last season, trying to sort out why they didn't work.  Given the style of runner McCoy has been all his life, I would say it was 85% not his fault.   He has always been a "skills" runner with good field vision who finds and exploits the holes.  Only last year, there were no freakin' holes.  It was true that he didn't get 2-3 yds when he could have by just slamming into guys and churning his legs like Ivory did, but that was never his style.  It was also true that he started abandoning the play and trying to bounce outside, which he did in Philly at times - and he has probably lost a bit of the speed that makes that work, while Ds have gotten faster - I guess you could blame him for that, but Man!  There were no holes.

For the most part, I agree with your take. But not the 85% no fault. Too many times I muttered ‘he’s lost it’ last season. I realize he was very likely pissed he had no hole to exploit, but it became a lack of caring at times which he never showed before. Gone was the quick dart he routinely employed to burst past a couple closing defenders. Either he didn’t think it would really matter much or he just couldn’t. Neither are good premises for an aging RB. 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was more of his non-committal answer.  I got the sense he didn't close the door about McCoy not being their primary back.

The "when the ball rolls out, McCoy will be the first one to touch it".  I think he could have squashed the rumors then and there but he didn't.

I agree with you about last year.  I still think McCoy can be a top 7 back if he has something to work with.

37 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I don't think they get rid of Harmon if he catches it. But once he not only drops it but blames Kelly...

Yep. He was as good as gone the moment he made that comment. 

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

For the most part, I agree with your take. But not the 85% no fault. Too many times I muttered ‘he’s lost it’ last season. I realize he was very likely pissed he had no hole to exploit, but it became a lack of caring at times which he never showed before. Gone was the quick dart he routinely employed to burst past a couple closing defenders. Either he didn’t think it would really matter much or he just couldn’t. Neither are good premises for an aging RB. 

Chand, I saw a loss of speed also, so I see your point.  That would be the 15% I estimate.  But how often did you see him have space to employ that "quick dart"?  The OL blocking was so bad last year, I had to watch some plays multiple times and sometimes 'yelp for help' watching coach's film, to try to figure out what the play was supposed to be.  OK maybe it's 20 or 25%, but I still think "not all his fault" is way more finger-pointy at McCoy than I assess.  

Unless they were wanting and expecting him to be an Ivory-like "hit where the hole is supposed to be and take 3 guys with you for 3 yards" back.  He has NEVER been that, and never done that.  You don't expect a greyhound to perform like a pitbull, not if you're "dog smart".  You don't expect McCoy to perform like an Ivory or an Elliot, not if you're "football smart"

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Interesting thing Jeremy White has brought up.  He's talking about the McCoy rumors.  A texter brought up getting rid of McCoy and going with Singletary.

He didn't agree with it but didn't bring up a point.

McCoy isn't in the embedded series other than Allen bantering him for spoiling the Avengers movie, he hasn't met with the media much in the offseason and Beane's comments this morning.  Basically Beane just said "when the ball roles out, McCoy will get the first rep".  Sounds like Beane left the door open and didn't fully commit to McCoy?

I think it has been said in a tweet somewhere that McCoy has been unavailable to the media since having an off season last year.  He's kind of sensitive that way.  I can't speek to the rest of White's observations.

• Like (+1) 1