Bills Training Camp Day 2 - 7/26

Interesting thing Jeremy White has brought up.  He's talking about the McCoy rumors.  A texter brought up getting rid of McCoy and going with Singletary.

He didn't agree with it but didn't bring up a point.

McCoy isn't in the embedded series other than Allen bantering him for spoiling the Avengers movie, he hasn't met with the media much in the offseason and Beane's comments this morning.  Basically Beane just said "when the ball roles out, McCoy will get the first rep".  Sounds like Beane left the door open and didn't fully commit to McCoy?

Edited by Royale with Cheese

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Interesting thing Jeremy White has brought up.  He's talking about the McCoy rumors.  A texter brought up getting rid of McCoy and going with Singletary.

He didn't agree with it but didn't bring up a point.

McCoy isn't in the embedded series other than Allen bantering him for spoiling the Avengers movie, he hasn't met with the media much in the offseason and Beane's comments this morning.  Basically Beane just said "when the ball roles out, McCoy will get the first rep".  Sounds like Beane left the door open and didn't fully commit to McCoy?

I agree and have noticed the same thing 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I agree and have noticed the same thing 

Here's what I'm thinking....they're going to evaluate McCoy along with Singletary all camp.  

I think the plan is one more year of McCoy and then hopefully Singletary steps up next year. 

However, if Singletary shows legitimate promise early......I think Beane's phone will be a little more open.  Especially if a starting RB goes down in camp somewhere.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Here's what I'm thinking....they're going to evaluate McCoy along with Singletary all camp.  

I think the plan is one more year of McCoy and then hopefully Singletary steps up next year. 

However, if Singletary shows legitimate promise early......I think Beane's phone will be a little more open.  Especially if a starting RB goes down in camp somewhere.  

He even said yesterday on radio that it’s too early to know for sure what personnel decisions will be made. He said two years ago at this time he didn’t know they would be trading Watkins and Darby. Seemed open to possibilities depending on how it plays out

Shady is on notice of needing to show he's still "got it" during TC.  They won't work him much in the preseason games but they'll be watching him very closely during practice.

The wild card here is Singletary.  If he just blows people away, it certainly gives the Bills options.  That said, the Bills don't "need" to move Shady and I don't think they would unless it is a very good return.  Shady is a guy who has clearly bought in to the culture and I still believe the Bills like the idea of Shady and Gore being in the backfield to help Josh this season.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He even said yesterday on radio that it’s too early to know for sure what personnel decisions will be made. He said two years ago at this time he didn’t know they would be trading Watkins and Darby. Seemed open to possibilities depending on how it plays out

I've always wondered how trading players, the surprises especially get done?

Darby and Watkins were surprises to us and fans...I remember the texts and jaw dropped.  I have a hard time believing it was at random.  

What and how did the conversation start?  Did the Eagles and Rams (and other FO) know the Bills were going through a rebuild and started calling Beane?  Did Beane know that Darby wasn't a great fit for zone coverage...he started putting feelers out there?  He knew Watkins wasn't going to sign here long term and put feelers out?  

All offseason, I thought trading McCoy was absurd.  But now, especially after this morning, I will not be shocked now if he's dealt.  I don't think he will if I had to put money on it today but wouldn't put too much down.  Beane's non-committal talk speaks volumes.... 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is a just a bit like ‘88. We had fan favorite Robb Riddick and an ‘87 1st Round pick in Ronnie Harmon. Trading away our our 1st Round pick along with pro bowl RB Greg Bell for Biscuit, we took ‘a chance’ on a 2nd Round guy with knee issues. Nobody could understand why a RB when we already seemed set there. The rook rotated in and out of the lineup early but eventually became the starter, rushing for over 800 yards and helped us win the Division. He soon was totaling more than 2000 yrds every season and became an MVP, allowing us to trade away Harmon and cut Riddick.

Perhaps a second lightning strike?

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

This is a just a bit like ‘88. We had fan favorite Robb Riddick and an ‘87 1st Round pick in Ronnie Harmon. Trading away our our 1st Round pick along with pro bowl RB Greg Bell for Biscuit, we took ‘a chance’ on a 2nd Round guy with knee issues. Nobody could understand why a RB when we already seemed set there. The rook rotated in and out of the lineup early but eventually became the starter, rushing for over 800 yards and helped us win the Division. He soon was totaling more than 2000 yrds every season and became an MVP, allowing us to trade away Harmon and cut Riddick.

Perhaps a second lightning strike?

Do you think Harmon would have stayed a Bill if he caught the pass?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you think Harmon would have stayed a Bill if he caught the pass?

Pure conjecture, since he didn’t. But Harmon was one dumbass summumabit**! Couldn’t form a coherent sentence. I don’t know how long he may have stuck around. He was pretty effective for the Chargers for years.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not too amazing just expensive and that is what some manufacturers cater towards customers with a lot of discretionary cash to spend.

There was a guy at work who had all kinds of electronic toys costing a fortune which no one else at work could afford.  He turned out was an ex-NFL player and in a few years even spending most of time in reserves that he could afford basically any toy he wanted while working at his 2nd career.  At least he used his education from college.