Steve Rhodes or Jefferson D'Arcy?

Steve or Jefferson?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better character?

• Steve
    • Jefferson

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Ted was on so many shows after they got stale.

Even a Mad Men cameo.

can't choose between the two, both were good in their own right.

The show starting to get stale really doesn't have much to do with Jefferson though.  Steve left after the 4th season.  If anything, going stale was probably due to the same thing it always is with shows that rotate around a family, the kids get too old too fast.

Me personally, I enjoy the dynamic between Al/Jefferson better than that between Al/Steve.  I forget if they ever actually hit on it, but I forget why Steve even lived in that neighborhood in the first place.  Jefferson?  Ok, he fit right in.

29 minutes ago, shrader said:

The show starting to get stale really doesn't have much to do with Jefferson though.  Steve left after the 4th season.  If anything, going stale was probably due to the same thing it always is with shows that rotate around a family, the kids get too old too fast.

Me personally, I enjoy the dynamic between Al/Jefferson better than that between Al/Steve.  I forget if they ever actually hit on it, but I forget why Steve even lived in that neighborhood in the first place.  Jefferson?  Ok, he fit right in.

Steve married Marcy who already lived next door with Jefferson before he left. I can't remember how they worked it in though. I believe Jefferson ran off on Marcy somewhere and I don't remember how Steve was brought in as her new husband.

As for the actor who played Steve, he was always considered the kiss of death for shows or the sign of jumping the shark because he usually was hired to play someone late in a shows run to replace a main character. He was brought in to Happy Days to replace Richie I believe in the last season or 2? He replaced Jefferson on MWC (although he was on that show for a while) and he was brought into a few other shows near the end of their run. There was a show on ABC with Kelly Ripa where he was on from the start though, I don't know of any other where he was on from the start.

43 minutes ago, shrader said:

Ted is the Prince of Jump the Shark for TV shows, but that seemed too obvious and I didn't want to say it unless provoked laughingly...  :D

Steve got a few gigs playing a lawyer on Law and Order, never saw him anywhere else, but not a big fan of TV or movies.

I enjoyed them both and thought they were both good for the decades they started in.  Steve definitely struck me as an 80s guy with the Mercedes and the whole yuppie apparel/ mannerisms.  Jefferson seemed like a more care free 90s guy.  

30 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Ted is the Prince of Jump the Shark for TV shows, but that seemed too obvious and I didn't want to say it unless provoked laughingly...  :D

Steve got a few gigs playing a lawyer on Law and Order, never saw him anywhere else, but not a big fan of TV or movies.

There must be some modern day version of this Ted McGinley thing.  I'm sure someone can think up an actor who has killed off multiple tv shows within the past 20 years.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

There must be some modern day version of this Ted McGinley thing.  I'm sure someone can think up an actor who has killed off multiple tv shows within the past 20 years.

It was a proud moment when I said "is that Ted McGinley" during Mad Men.

I usually am not good at this.

You've got it all backwards, Steve was there first then ran off to save and release and subsequently kill a turtle/tortoise.  Jefferson segued in after Steve was out of the picture, but did make an appearance or two later on(most famously as a chauffeur whom Marcy mistook as a wealthy person once again)

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Steve married Marcy who already lived next door with Jefferson before he left. I can't remember how they worked it in though. I believe Jefferson ran off on Marcy somewhere and I don't remember how Steve was brought in as her new husband.

As for the actor who played Steve, he was always considered the kiss of death for shows or the sign of jumping the shark because he usually was hired to play someone late in a shows run to replace a main character. He was brought in to Happy Days to replace Richie I believe in the last season or 2? He replaced Jefferson on MWC (although he was on that show for a while) and he was brought into a few other shows near the end of their run. There was a show on ABC with Kelly Ripa where he was on from the start though, I don't know of any other where he was on from the start.

36 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

You've got it all backwards, Steve was there first then ran off to save and release and subsequently kill a turtle/tortoise.  Jefferson segued in after Steve was out of the picture, but did make an appearance or two later on(most famously as a chauffeur whom Marcy mistook as a wealthy person once again)

Wasn't Steve at one point the dean of a community college as they were attempting to make a spinoff show?

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

the best part was the fact that Al was living right next door to two people pulling down banking salaries (barely making ends meet)

That never bothered me.  Unless you are top rung at the bank you typically are not making big money.  Also, I've known people who lived below their means starting out to avoid paying big interest on their primary residence to accelerate the pace to get into some place that they wanted to be long term.  I want to say that there even is a Bills example of somebody who lived modestly in order to save for something much more to their liking.  Now if Steve and Marcy came along late in the show (mid-1990's)  when everybody buckled to peer pressure and bought beyond their means then I would cry foul.  

40 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

That never bothered me.  Unless you are top rung at the bank you typically are not making big money.  Also, I've known people who lived below their means starting out to avoid paying big interest on their primary residence to accelerate the pace to get into some place that they wanted to be long term.  I want to say that there even is a Bills example of somebody who lived modestly in order to save for something much more to their liking.  Now if Steve and Marcy came along late in the show (mid-1990's)  when everybody buckled to peer pressure and bought beyond their means then I would cry foul.  

Even if the bankers are low tier they both are easily making way more than the shoe salesman 

47 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Even if the bankers are low tier they both are easily making way more than the shoe salesman 

Agreed and Al is the real problem in this scenario as his wages would not allow him to be a home owner.  He'd be renting an apartment or a trailer.  I guess the best real world explanation for Al owning a home is he inherited the money or somebody bought him the house then left it to him.  Very little was said about Al family.  Al's father was depicted as being little better than him but smart enough to have life insurance it would seem.  I'm guessing that Steve and Marcy's combined income in 1986 would be around 70-75K and the homes in Al's neighborhood worth 65-85K.  When I was at Cornell around the same time guys with economics or finance degrees would get a job at an WNY area bank starting out at 22,500 as a loan officer and max out in several years at 27-30K w/o promotion.  Dept head would most likely be in the high 30's and VP a few thousand above that.  If you wanted to do better than that then you went on for your MBA.  

Edited by RochesterRob

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Agreed and Al is the real problem in this scenario as his wages would not allow him to be a home owner.  He'd be renting an apartment or a trailer.  I guess the best real world explanation for Al owning a home is he inherited the money or somebody bought him the house then left it to him.  Very little was said about Al family.  Al's father was depicted as being little better than him but smart enough to have life insurance it would seem.  I'm guessing that Steve and Marcy's combined income in 1986 would be around 70-75K and the homes in Al's neighborhood worth 75-100K.  When I was at Cornell around the same time guys with economics or finance degrees would get a job at an WNY area bank starting out at 22,500 as a loan officer and max out in several years at 27-30K w/o promotion.  Dept head would most likely be in the high 30's and VP a few thousand above that.  If you wanted to better than that then you went on for your MBA.  

He was fine getting into that house in 1970 a few years after high school

come along 15 years later and something has happened to the cost of buying a home

You are just as big a windbag from Cornell as Andy on The Office?

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

come along 15 years later and something has happened to the cost of buying a home

In the US home prices did spike during the 1970's.  Nonetheless, Al in 1970 would have been making around 1 US dollar per hour and a home like the Bundy's in greater Chicago would probably be at least 12,500 dollars.  I would still be willing to bet that Al got help most likely from his dad.  He would have had Kelly during the early 1970's and Bud by the mid-1970's to further eat at his paycheck.  If Al worked a second or third job it was never said on the show to my knowledge.

Just check US Dept of Labor and minimum wage as of Feb 1970 would have been 1.45 per hour.  Al would still have living expenses to eat away at his pay before the children came.  While anything is possible I would still think it probable that Al was a renter w/o help and would guess that even though 12,500 is realistic it would be at the bottom end of home prices.  Al's home could have been upwards of 20K when he bought it.  I remember my aunt and her then husband were newlyweds in the late 1960's and they rented until 1974 but my uncle worked construction which paid considerably above retail.  My cousins were born very late 1960's and 1970. 

Edited by RochesterRob

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

You are just as big a windbag from Cornell as Andy on The Office?

Yeah, the price of homes rose with inflation during the 1970's and kept going as terms got extended from 20-25 years on average to above 30 years by the late 1980's.  Taxes in many areas went from under 10 dollars per 1,000 dollars assessed value in the 1960's to above 20 dollars per 1,000 dollars assessed value by the 1990's.  By the way we don't know how fine Al was as the show never really spells it out.  Why call me a windbag?  I do live here in the US and do know something of those times.  Al had to be getting minimum wage as a mall salesperson in a store that most likely had no margin to pay sales quota incentives.  Now you want to talk about Al working at Sears back in the good old days of Sears when many senior store employees were making 30K in the Rochester, NY area then that is different.

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Ted was on so many shows after they got stale.

On the old Jump the Shark site (I miss the good old days of the internet), he was actually listed as their patron saint because he was always popping up on shows that were in decline.

Ted was funny on Married, but Steve’s deadpan delivery was the best.  Plus the show was fresher in the early years.

No contest IMO.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

On the old Jump the Shark site (I miss the good old days of the internet), he was actually listed as their patron saint because he was always popping up on shows that were in decline.

Ted was funny on Married, but Steve’s deadpan delivery was the best.  Plus the show was fresher in the early years.

No contest IMO.

Steve seasons were Sunday night must-see TV for me. About a year or so after he left, I stopped watching it, not because of him but like you said, it just wasn’t that fresh anymore.

19 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Your right, it's been a while since I watched the show, got the names mixed up. 

13 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Agreed and Al is the real problem in this scenario as his wages would not allow him to be a home owner.  He'd be renting an apartment or a trailer.  I guess the best real world explanation for Al owning a home is he inherited the money or somebody bought him the house then left it to him.  Very little was said about Al family.  Al's father was depicted as being little better than him but smart enough to have life insurance it would seem.  I'm guessing that Steve and Marcy's combined income in 1986 would be around 70-75K and the homes in Al's neighborhood worth 65-85K.  When I was at Cornell around the same time guys with economics or finance degrees would get a job at an WNY area bank starting out at 22,500 as a loan officer and max out in several years at 27-30K w/o promotion.  Dept head would most likely be in the high 30's and VP a few thousand above that.  If you wanted to do better than that then you went on for your MBA.  

But Al was also a high school football legend at Polk High......

They probably built the house and gave it to him after his legendary game........

What other expenses did he have?

He drove a Dodge that was paid for, peg never cooked and they had no food at home. I guess he had Nudie Bar expenses but not much else.....

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They probably built the house and gave it to him after his legendary game........

He drove a Dodge that was paid for, peg never cooked and they had no food at home. I guess he had Nudie Bar expenses but not much else.....

Maybe in Texas but not Chicago and especially not in a non-rich district.  Al would have had property taxes and utilities to pay.  Most likely had an insurance policy on the house and for sure if he was carrying a mortgage.  Even if he only put 10 bucks worth of gas in the Dodge per week that's 500 bucks for 50 weeks.  Peg's shopping (Frederick's of Hollywood and so forth) and bon bon's, Bud's blow up doll, and Kelly stealing from daddy's wallet probably amounted to 80-100 buck's per week.  Federal minimum wage in the early days of the show was 3.35 per hour and that is probably what he made.  I know it's just a television show and not real life but to me Al had to have caught some kind of break which people in real life get.  Even if the house was paid for he most likely was spending in excess of what he was making.  But again it is only a TV show.  If Gilligan can keep the other castaway's marooned week after week then Al can have nudie bar money.  

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Maybe in Texas but not Chicago and especially not in a non-rich district.  Al would have had property taxes and utilities to pay.  Most likely had an insurance policy on the house and for sure if he was carrying a mortgage.  Even if he only put 10 bucks worth of gas in the Dodge per week that's 500 bucks for 50 weeks.  Peg's shopping (Frederick's of Hollywood and so forth) and bon bon's, Bud's blow up doll, and Kelly stealing from daddy's wallet probably amounted to 80-100 buck's per week.  Federal minimum wage in the early days of the show was 3.35 per hour and that is probably what he made.  I know it's just a television show and not real life but to me Al had to have caught some kind of break which people in real life get.  Even if the house was paid for he most likely was spending in excess of what he was making.  But again it is only a TV show.  If Gilligan can keep the other castaway's marooned week after week then Al can have nudie bar money.  

And then there's all that cash he was always handing out to the entire family, even Buck.

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said: