Thank You Buffalo News

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1011511.asp

Wow. Talk about an insightful article. Appears we have a new quarteback on the Bills, he's a rookie and he's fast.

Not only that, but he's a lot different than Drew Bledsoe, whom the article claims is slow. WTF?!

I was blown away by these revelations by crack cub-reporter Mark Gaughen. Great job, Mark. I cant wait for the follow up article on the color of the Bills helmets. I hear rumors they are red.

He should know that TSW is the BEST pasture where dead horses get beaten.

Said it many times, as a former reporter (4+ years at a carppy small daily with a circ of about 20,000 and had to get outta the biz, what a joke the news biz has become) these guys get away with it because they're the only game in town. We can't demand better by buying the competitor, because there is none.

They're all big town wannabes that are either A) resigned to the fact they've never go anywhere and therefore willing to pass on the obvious facts and observations we already know (i.e., Mark Gaughan) or B) Have an over-inflated view of themselves and feel they should be at a better paper, despite their lack of skill, grasp of the english language, and complete lack of credibility (i.e., Jerry "I Wish I was at the Boston Glove" Sullivan).

Like I want to read Sullivan's piece today on my beloved Red Sox. From past experience, I know this guy knows less about baseball than my 1-year-old but he can't help but write about his hometown team. His "specialty" is you want to even give him that much credit is basketball, which I don't follow. He's also good at being a complete arrogant, self-serving, big-mouth who can point fingers at anyone in hopes of inflating his broken ego.

I met this guy once at a Raptors game (against who else, the Celtics). What a piece of work. He's outside the press entrance with myself and some other reporters, complaining about having to wait for it to be opened. Bitched non-stop for 10 minutes while we waited.

Hey Jerry, remember this that everytime you bust someone's chops in the news, be it members of either of our professional organizations ot other pro athletes or personnel........ they've reached the pinnacle of their field. Unlike you, they've risen to the top and whether they succeeded or failed, they got there. Your career has come to a grinding halt in AA Ball at the 41st largest circulation in the country!

OK, my newspaper rant is done.

Wow. Talk about an insightful article. Appears we have a new quarteback on the Bills, he's a rookie and he's fast.

Not only that, but he's a lot different than Drew Bledsoe, whom the article claims is slow. WTF?!

I was blown away by these revelations by crack cub-reporter Mark Gaughen. Great job, Mark. I cant wait for the follow up article on the color of the Bills helmets. I hear rumors they are red.

He should know that TSW is the BEST pasture where  dead horses get beaten.

294655[/snapback]

That's the damndest article I ever did read. Well, he made his deadline.

I dunno, the impression I got after reading that is that some editor popped his head into Gaughan's office, said "Gaughan, get off your ass and give me four paragraphs on the Bills, I don't care what it is, anything, we need a Bills story" and he vomited that out in about 10 minutes.

I dunno, the impression I got after reading that is that some editor popped his head into Gaughan's office, said "Gaughan, get off your ass and give me four paragraphs on the Bills, I don't care what it is, anything, we need a Bills story" and he vomited that out in about 10 minutes.

294701[/snapback]

yeah, really. i read that thing and wondered, "what the f**k is this doing here? some extra space to fill?"

He should know that TSW is the BEST pasture where  dead horses get beaten.

294655[/snapback]

Oh come on it wasnt that awful.

In his defense, it was not in the sports section, but the life and arts section. Maybe there is someone in WNY who has never heard of JP, but lifes the opera a lot. Still having a hard time figuring this article out without seeing the hard copy

This brief on JP was in the Buffalo "Sunday" magazine(similat to Parade, but at a local level). It was accompanied by a caricature of JP. It wasn't meant to be an in-depth piece, but more aimed at the very casual fan who doesn't follow the Bills that closely.

You have to realize... the media...and guys like Mark Gaughn feel a need to always be right and make themselves look good... at the expense of other folks...

case in point, a quote from his article....

The Bills will not be making a pick in the first-round of the April 23 NFL draft because they gave it away last year to acquire quarterback J.P. Losman.

True... but the way he writes it ..."gave it away last year to acquire quarterback J.P. Losman", although true, implies that the Bills may be a little hap hazzard in how they acquire peronnel...

If Gaughn could leave his feelings and emotion out of this, he might have found that a more accurate way to state this is...

lhe Bills will not be making a pick in the first-round of the April 23 NFL draft because they elected to select their 2005 1st round pick last year to select quarterback J.P. Losman". This is, in effect, what they did... they gave up a #2 and #4 in the process..

Gaughn is not alone... he's just another example of lazy bastard journalists who only like to pur their spin and stojan in print. if he wasn't so godamn lazy, he would research a topic thoroughly and report the facts... but, I guess after all... it is an editorial and its his opinion... so what, he till took the easy way out!!

You have to realize... the media...and guys like Mark Gaughn feel a need to always be right and make themselves look good... at the expense of other folks...

case in point, a quote from his article....

True... but the way he writes it ..."gave it away last year to acquire quarterback J.P. Losman", although true, implies that the Bills may be a little hap hazzard in how they acquire peronnel...

If Gaughn could leave his feelings and emotion out of this, he might have found that a more accurate way to state this is...

lhe Bills will not be making a pick in the first-round of the April 23 NFL draft because they elected to select their 2005 1st round pick last year to select quarterback J.P. Losman".  This is, in effect, what they did... they gave up a #2 and #4 in the process..

Gaughn is not alone... he's just another example of lazy bastard journalists who only like to pur their spin and stojan in print.  if he wasn't so godamn lazy, he would research a topic  thoroughly and report the facts... but, I guess after all... it is an editorial and its his opinion...  so what, he till took the easy way out!!

294795[/snapback]

Aren't you being a bit harsh? You accuse him of not researching the facts, but the only fault you find is poor word choice. This is exactly the kind of story you'd hope the Mrs. reads to have an idea what's happening in the upcoming football season. As someone who works for a major newspaper in one of the nation's largest, most competitive markets, it makes perfect sense to me.

You know, I will give him all of those compliments, but "toughness of a linebacker?"  :)  :doh:

The guy was hospitalized when he brushed up against a defensive back. Does anyone proof read these articles?

294698[/snapback]

He was hospitalized for having a broken leg. I've never heard of a QB going out and playing with a broken leg. Besides that, the coaches wouldn't have let JP play with that broken leg even if he'd wanted to.

You can call into question the hardness of his bones, or his ability to deal with contact without injuring himself, but to use that incident to question his mental toughness makes no sense.

Aren't you being a bit harsh?  You accuse him of not researching the facts, but the only fault you find is poor word choice.  This is exactly the kind of story you'd hope the Mrs. reads to have an idea what's happening in the upcoming football season.  As someone who works for a major newspaper in one of the nation's largest, most competitive markets, it makes perfect sense to me.

294806[/snapback]

I dont know what Mrs. you're talking about but in Buffalo the Mrs know an awful lot about their Bills. Or do you think he should have used smaller words, too?

Being a MAJOR degenerate gambler and drunk in one the nations largest and most competitive markets, I can tell you that article was crap.