NASA’s Restored Apollo Mission Control

TSNBDSC

$5 million is a drop in the bucket for the Federal Government and NASA.  The mission control room, and the Apollo program, made significant contributions to our space program and nation.  I don't have a problem with the refurbishment of this old stuff; it is a museum.  I would like to see the space program reborn with new and bigger missions, not muslim outreach.

The 1st Apollo mission burned out in a launch rehearsal, the astronauts in the craft.

Wonder how much mention that gets ? It should be a lot since they all died inside it.

Edited by I am the egg man

5 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

The 1st Apollo mission burned out in a launch rehearsal, the astronauts in the craft.

Wonder how much mention that gets ? It should be a lot since they all died inside it.

There is a Memorial for Apollo One .

It is called  "Ad Astra Per Aspera,"  "A Rough Road Leads to the Stars."

Apollo One Memorial

13 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

$5 million to "restore" that?  OK, it has some historic significance but that's way too much to spend on a bunch of now obsolete equipment.

They didn't spend the $5 million themselves. They received a bunch of donations.

And then I'm sure NASA profits the most from the proceeds.

The $5 million in funding for the restoration was partially provided by Space Center Houston, but the majority of the money was donated by the city of Webster, the Houston suburb where the Johnson Space Center is located. Another half-million in funding came from the general public via a Kickstarter campaign (disclosure: your humble author was a backer).

As a kid, I remember watching that control room in action. They should add some wax figures of people as they appeared during the period.

So different from how things are today. I saw a big glass ash tray in one of the photos--it's reminded me that probably 90% of adults smoked in those days, and they smoked like freaking chimneys.

I also remember most people in the control room had:

• crew cuts
  • ties
  • a pocket protector
  • a slide rule

The 60's were a significant period--delete some hippies and it would have been perfect.

Edited by boater

17 minutes ago, boater said:

The 60's were a significant period--delete some hippies and it would have been perfect.

Well, if we could forget about a couple of assassinations and widespread race riots.

But the 64 and 65 Bills were OK. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I think it's cool. Kids need to go there and see how we did things back when we took chances and achieved great things. 

Agreed.

There's a place inthemiddleofnowhere, KS that does this type of thing. 

The crown jewel of the exhibits is the Apollo 13 CM. The also restored the Liberty Bell after it was hoisted from ocean's depths.  

There is some pre-Apollo things, a few rockets from the late 50's early 60's, a replica of a LEM, a moon rover, etc.

They also have a decent planetarium, an IMAX, a science lab and lots of educational programs, including a number of space camps. Its a big field trip destination in KS. 

**Edit**

I didn't realize...The Kansas Cosmosphere did the restoration work on the mission control center

Cosmo.org

Edited by CookieG

On 6/28/2019 at 6:52 PM, /dev/null said:

Instead of reproducing Mission Control as a tourist attraction, NASA should should try sending people back to the Moon and then onto Mars, and from Mars start exploring the asteroid belt

There's no reason to go back to the moon.

Mars would be cool.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:24 PM, I am the egg man said:

That unfortunate incident is well remembered by those interested in space flight.

I remember visiting Kennedy Space Center as a kid in the '70s or maybe very early '80s and they had a memorial dedicated to those guys with music playing, etc.

A version of it is still there now at the much improved facility.  

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

The Moon is a stepping stone to Mars

That may be, but both suck.

Humans aren't living on any other planet or moon in this system.

We need to find a warm, stable planet with a good atmosphere. We've found a bunch of theoretical candidates and apparently may have the tech to get their efficiently (the tic tac aircrafts).

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

That may be, but both suck.

Humans aren't living on any other planet or moon in this system.

We need to find a warm, stable planet with a good atmosphere. We've found a bunch of theoretical candidates and apparently may have the tech to get their efficiently (the tic tac aircrafts).

but how do we get from here to the warm stable planets?

either our tic tac overlords share their minty fresh technology or we develop our own, one step at a time

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

but how do we get from here to the warm stable planets?

either our tic tac overlords share their minty fresh technology or we develop our own, one step at a time

I'm assuming the tic tacs are actually rogue AI, not yet our overlords. The AI/cyborgs will be our friends at first and will help us reach other planets. They'll divide and conquer on a universal scale.